Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Information on Race Parts please, stuff from the late Chuck Forge
carl k
post Jul 16 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,440
Region Association: None

Hi all-

I recently wound up with some ex-race spare parts that belonged to Chuck Forge (Chuck's 914 for sale). From what I've read, Chucks' car was very quick.

I'm more of a "stock engine" guy and don't know much about performance mods. I'd appreciate any feedback on these parts, such as if they are trick or kook, how specialized they are, value, applications, etc. If I knew more about them, I'd feel more comfortable trying to find them new home.

The heads look like 1.8L heads, 38 x 48 valves, double valve springs, with a deep relief for the cylinders. They've got some sort of thermocouples where the CHT would normally be. Exhaust ports have been machined oval to accommodate the matching exhaust stubs.

Pistons are 94mm Mahle's with a pretty good crown to them and valve reliefs cut into the tops. There's a part number printed on the cylinder base "24 503 WR 10". The cylinder tops have ridges to seal better against the head.

The header is a 4-1 style with 41mm ID primaries. It looks like the muffler is a recent addition as it's only tacked on, and there's a short intermediate adapter. The four primaries are a slip fit into the collector. The headers use separate exhaust stubs that fit the round ports found on the head. All the welds look like TIG, and it's carbon steel. I am not 100% sure the header is specifically designed for use with these heads, but the stub adapters match the headers.

thanks in advance,
Carl

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Firstcar
post Jul 17 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #2

Obsessive amateur mechanic

Member No.: 12,831
Region Association: North East States

Not familiar with race parts/mods but you might get more traction posting in the Paddock.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 18 2019, 03:26 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Firstcar @ Jul 18 2019, 02:23 PM) *

Not familiar with race parts/mods but you might get more traction posting in the Paddock.

Wow lovely headers,stand pipes off the exhaust ports are the way to go ,the heads are pretty radical ...huge compression ,valve stem height looks rather uneven? ,but some nice porting on the exhaust .
Could have some value for the right person,cheers.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 18 2019, 06:21 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The car is fully race ready, as Chuck had just completed a full race prep on the car for the SCCA double national that he would have competed in the weekend after he suddenly passed away. It remains a super competitive F-Production race car with all the latest tweaks. The ownership chain is as follows:

Sam Linville from House of Porsche in Sunnyvale, California raced it in the 1970’s and early 1980’s it was a good mid pack car taking only one win during his ownership. It was sold to John Gilbert also of House of Porsche in 1982. John and Llew Kinst completely rebuilt and re-engineered the car. It was run in Golden Gate Region Time Trials driven by John, Mark McLaughlin and even Bob Bondurant. In 1984 Chuck Forge began to drive the car in SCCA EP races. John later sold the car to Chuck. This car and Rich Bontempi’s yellow 914 were THE cars to beat in EP on the west coast.

List of lap Records
E-Production:
April 1985, Sears Point 1:51.71
Jan 1986, Firebird International 1:19.41
May 1990, Laguna Seca 1:42.477
Sept 1990, Sears Point, 1:49.005
July 1996, Laguna Seca 1:41.902
F-Production:
July 2002, Infineon 1:57.168
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 18 2019, 06:23 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

http://www.hillmanimages.com/912/forges_0403.html

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:28 PM