Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Goin to Montana soon, Trailering the 911 back home
worn
post Aug 3 2019, 07:04 PM
Post #21

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Epilogue.
In a motel in Fergus Falls. Got to the destination in Polson Montana on the last gasp of the battery power. Alternator had failed. Called Pelican and had a replacement overnight. Field replacement of the 911 alternator is kinda like with 914-4: suckish. But done and charging. On the way back home at Billings lost power with backfires galore. Now have a u haul truck with a Porsche on a trailer.

Engine got pretty hot. About 245 degrees when the fan belt broke and it took maybe 60 seconds to stop. Am hoping that the msd AL6 cd box is fried. More worried about things like valves and pistons in the engine that I built. What have I done!?? But I have yet to hear a clank. Also, oil pressure remained over 3 bar throughout.

Again: severe loss of power, backfires, known overheating, msd ignition, no data re spark, fuel or compression since my tools are still back home.
Thoughts? Guesses?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 3 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

No clue on your problem but sorry we were so rough on your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 3 2019, 07:36 PM
Post #23

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Guess? Loose belt from the alternator change.
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 3 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #24

can't remember

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2019, 05:28 PM) *

No clue on your problem but sorry we were so rough on your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Was thinking I had all this extra time to contact Brock and see about getting together. Then the alternator needed replacement. Heading back home with a day to spare on Thursday when the motor went south just east of Billings. Tried to limp back to town and failed. Hagerty towed me to the u haul. Sorry Brock, we tried.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 3 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 3 2019, 07:49 PM) *

Was thinking I had all this extra time to contact Brock and see about getting together. Then the alternator needed replacement. Heading back home with a day to spare on Thursday when the motor went south just east of Billings. Tried to limp back to town and failed. Hagerty towed me to the u haul. Sorry Brock, we tried.

No worries. I forgot I had a work retreat over in the Madison Valley all week anyway and just got home yesterday myself. You missed out on the hundred head of elk behind our house right now though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 4 2019, 04:54 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

What a nightmare. So sorry to hear of the trip woes. Are you still married? I'd recommend flying her home 1st class at next airport you come to! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I can relate though - in 2015 my jeep wrangler developed death wobble and I limped it into Butte. Was stuck there for two days while ball joints were replaced.

Bummer on missing Brent. His hospitality is worth the trip alone. I'd have loved to see those Elk!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 4 2019, 09:41 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

You WERE forewarned about Montana.............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 5 2019, 08:19 AM
Post #28

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That's the shits Warren. Sorry to hear of your breakdown. I think @Larmo63 meant forewarned! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 5 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #29

can't remember

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 5 2019, 06:19 AM) *

That's the shits Warren. Sorry to hear of your breakdown. I think @Larmo63 meant forewarned! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Sh#$ my forearms is just fine. My problem is that I love the mountain states but they are a thousand miles of interstate away.
Met a man from Germany admiring my 911. He told me how to pronounce Fuchs. Now I understand a lot more of our posts.
My wife is a saint, but also some sort of Greek or Norse goddess. We had to manually get the sob onto the uhaul and she provided the winning hmph. Man she is so perfect.
I made it home and am currently wallowing in self pity. Tomorrow is another day.
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 5 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #30

can't remember

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2019, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 3 2019, 07:49 PM) *

No worries. I forgot I had a work retreat over in the Madison Valley all week anyway and just got home yesterday myself. You missed out on the hundred head of elk behind our house right now though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

In my college days I worked as a volunteer in the Olympic Natl Park. Worked for the biologist. Early September, with a full moon. I decided to take a walk along the high divide. I was the only human in the whole area. Found myself downwind of a large herd of elk. I decided to just sit still. They munched their way along until I was surrounded by them. In my excitement I swallowed wrong and coughed. They all looked at me as -what the hell are you doing here. Not really spooked, but they decided to leave with a kind of sound unique to a herd. Lots of rocks and dirt being scraped by hooves. I now know that these are the kinds of moments that define a person. Sometimes nature, other times fashion. I feel lucky.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 5 2019, 04:56 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 5 2019, 04:42 PM) *

I now know that these are the kinds of moments that define a person. Sometimes nature, other times fashion. I feel lucky.

I will not go into detail of how I spent my Saturday evening with 20+ elk cows grunting and whistling to their calves as they walked slowly behind me in the dimming light while a pair of sandhill cranes hunted their way across a meadow to their night roost (the reason for my being there) just a few yards in front of me. You already get it. I AM lucky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 5 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Neither of you had a 30-06? We could be having elk burgers instead of bison! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Just kidding. My hunting days are long gone in favor of catch and release with the native Cutthroat Trout!

I’m not so lucky - surrounded largely by urban decay (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 5 2019, 05:22 PM
Post #33

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

im hoping vacum leak....
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Aug 6 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 13,907

Whoa, missed all of this.. I was out playing at MidOhio. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 6 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #35

can't remember

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 5 2019, 03:22 PM) *

im hoping vacum leak....

Looks so effin trivial. The boot between the air meter and the intakes has been blown off. My back is still recovering, so i havent tested. $1250 to u haul so i could be treated badly and all on account of a backfire?

To put things in perspective, i changed the oil so as to be ready and overfilled the tank. Which made the main seal oil ooze worse, that lead to the fan belt failing, which was dramatic and blazing hot. The tool kit had an old belt that also failed, but i had yet another. Then the alternator gave up the ghost after 40 years of service, which led to buying a battery at wallmart to get to the friends place in polson. Absolutely gorgeous! Then pelican and fedex got involved, and the alternator got changed, which led to heading for home. Then as the car lost power and i was by the side of the road for the third time with an 80 mph speed limit I gave up. Hagerty paid for a tow to u-haul in Billings. Thinking i was helping i did the on line order for a trailer, which has no effect on the local granchise.after a few hours - noyou may not sitin theshade,thatis for our mechanics we were sent off to obtain a trailer in white sulfur springs, a six hour round trip with us paying for the gas for the ten foot truck. No, there isnt a winch on the trailer, so a couple of strangers getting their storage locker stuff pitched in to help load up. My bad back is still recovering.

After that the rest was simply driving home in time for a Monday morning meeting. I am good for eight hours normally, but we stretched that.

My wife is a hero. She would sign up for this, but she wouldn’t go for a cruise or luxury resort. If you find one like her, hold on tight. There are other lessons learned, perhaps the biggest one is to trust your work if you did it correctly. My lack of diagnostic tools along with lack of confidence in my engine rebuild made me fear the worst. Still, she is the greatest.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:43 AM