Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Why a 914?, What got you started with these cars?
ClayPerrine
post Jun 27 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

This is just curiosity on my part. What got you started with 914s?

Me, I can thank (Blame?) my wife. She had her 914 (yes, the same one that we use for a daily driver today) when we met. I had a 924. I got one ride in it and said "I gotta get me one of these!!". After I found out that they came with a six, I really had to get one. Needless to say, I sold the 924 after finding a 914 of my own. And I married her too. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

So, tell us your story.....

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
MattR
post Jun 27 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Hmm, I think this is one of those threads where nobody reads the posts, just gives their own story... there are a bunch of those. Well I read the posts and they are very interesting, but I highly doubt anyone will read my post, so I'll make the story a little more interesting.

Three years ago I was at Laguna Seca at an IMSA historics race. One of the fast drivers was driving the Wynn's Porsche 962. His lap times were amazing and he won the event. I went to the paddock after the race to see the car and talk to the driver. Not knowing anything about porsches, I went to the paddock only to find a 914 on jack stands. I was amazed to see a VW in a Porsche paddock. I asked the driver "what gives?" He said "thats my driver (pointing to the 914). I only race the 962 cause I have to..."
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 27 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE (MattR @ Jun 27 2005, 02:37 PM)
Hmm, I think this is one of those threads where nobody reads the posts, just gives their own story...

Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

And that's what got me into 914's
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 27 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #23

Blah blah blah to you too Mark.

I was serious, I want to hear your stories.

And I do read these posts, especially on threads that I start.

+Quote Post
MattR
post Jun 27 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Jun 27 2005, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (MattR @ Jun 27 2005, 02:37 PM)
Hmm, I think this is one of those threads where nobody reads the posts, just gives their own story...

Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

And that's what got me into 914's

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jun 27 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 27 2005, 11:08 AM)

Okay okay, my real story:

I wanted to build a car from the ground up. I like cars that handle well and I didnt have too much money (college student). I always knew the 914 existed, but I always considered it a POS NARP. I saw a dark red one in Pasadena one day and I fell in love. About 3 months later I sold my 78 fiat that wouldnt pass smog and bought a non running 914. That was about a year and a half ago. Its almost on the road (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 27 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #26

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 27 2005, 03:08 PM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chairfall.gif)

Ok-ok...the short version.

Always into bugs...hated 914's till I drove one...didn't think the wife would let me have one...so I let her drive it...we now own a 914 and fight over who gets to drive it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 27 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #27

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Mike Rader's dad owned the dealership, and me and Mike were classmates. I went to hang out after school, and we started pretend racing all the cars. I had a choice: 911s, where you sit 10 feet off the ground (as a kid) or the Jack Rabbit Special..

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I WANT THE JACK RABBIT SPECIAL!

So, the day I got my license, my friend drove me to Atlanta, and I bought a Malaga 75, and spent 6 hours driving 132 miles back... because I kept hitting the exits, just to sweep the ramps.

M
+Quote Post
post Jun 27 2005, 01:25 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 988

I migrated over from water coolers (928, 944, 968) I really wanted to learn to work on something, because I was sick of not being able to do a lot of basic work on these cars. so I made a decision to get something simple that I could understand, and do most of the work on. I never really liked 914's, but found a really solid clean one and said what the hell, it was a great experience for 5 years or so...

Turned out to be the most fun best handling car I've ever had..-Just sold it for an 911sc and while I love the 911, the 914 was more fun to drive....I'll be getting another on some day...
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 27 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was browsing around a car stereo shop asking questions, and the people working there asked if I wanted to see an installation going on in the garage, it was a 914 getting a ton of speakers. Anyhow they asked if I wanted to help, then offered me a job. The guy who owned the 914 also got a job there. Became good friends and always had fun in his 914. A couple years later I had to get rid of a mustang GT as the insurance was going to kill me - so I got a 914. Then another, then another, then another..... It's like a bad rash that may go away for a little while, but always comes back.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 27 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #30

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

VW Beetle, VW Beetle, VW Beetle, VW Beetle, VW Beetle, then I thought... "hey, this is cool. Type 4 engine, low CG, 4 wheel discs"

Traded a 12 String Melody Maker for a Adrionadtaictictdislexic (sorry Dick... can't remember the spelling) blue 914 that was tweaked in the front left. Put a bra on it and a few months later I turned it into a Guards red 916 look. I had the seamless bumpers before the "Sir" but don't tell him. I'll have to dredge up an old pic and scan it. Complete with the 20 year old standing by the door.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) Those was the days.

Sold it for a 911 and immediately wanted the teener back (loved the 911 but missed the teener). Bought another, and another and another and a -6 and another and here I am today.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jun 27 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #31

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

I had worked in a friends body shop and stopped doing body work to finish school. I carpooled with a guy that had one and blasting through down town Milwuakee was way more fun in his car than my slant six Volaree. Finished school got stuck in Texas always missed his car. Had three kids and wanted something to do with the boys. Went through a string of Mustangs Vettes Bikes and a supercharged 63 Nova (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Got my salvage rebuilders license and parted out a 90 Vette rag top and the boys finally showed some intrest in these things. sold ALL my stuff because we were moving to this place. While surfing EBAY we came on the ad for our car the boys said that looks like a fun one so I made a LOW bid of around $800 and I won. The rest kind of blures but I can look bace at my threads here and wonder what the heck was I thinking (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
black73
post Jun 27 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 3,801
Region Association: South East States

My 914 had been parked for a couple of years before I got it, needing repairs. I said,"It's a Porsche. I'll buy it and fix it. It'll be a good investment..." (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Jun 27 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 1,335

My father had a foreign car repair shop. He/we were known for Porsche 356 work, VWs and race work, even old British cars, yuck! A local lawyer friend of my dads whom we did 356 work for came by in 72 with an honest 916. He drove, and being a litle kid, he was really trying to scare the crap out of me. I was impressed enough that I said "one of these days, I'm gonna get me one of those" The car is gone, and so is Peter. However my love for 914's remains. Had my first in high school. 73 2.0 two tone rust and primer, looked so bad, people would take a double take or ask, is that a Porsh?? Yes, It's a Porsche I would respond. Are you fixing it up, they would say. Yep, fixing it a little everyday. But you know what, even if it looks like crap, it still DRIVES like a Porsche, and that is why I own one.

Just remember, Until the Boxter came along, the 914 was the only street going porsche with the same engine layout as a formula one car! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Maybe theres something to it after all.

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 27 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #34

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

It started one day when I said, "Jeez--I'm really bored driving this POS Accord! I want something fun to drive, dammit!"

A friend had been autoXing his 911 for about a year, and he recommended a 914. The notion of driving a Porsche had some appeal, and he made it sound like a lot of fun. I did some research--not nearly enough--and figured I could either afford to buy one, or afford to pay someone to work on one. But not both. "But it's just like a Bug, so I can actually do the work on it, no prob!" (D'OH!)

I test drove one. I figured out that my friend was massively understating the fun factor. Wound up buying one because I fell in love with the color--an Alaska Blue Metallic 74 1.8, which as it turned out had just about everything wrong with it except rot in the longs. Figured out in a big hurry that working on the 914 was not just like working on a Bug...

--DD
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 27 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #35

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Someone hit me in the head with a big bag of rust and I have loved rust ever since. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) The 914 seems to be the best place to find rust sooooo, I got one! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

17, my VW Bug died, found a 74' 2.0 (Black). It seemed like the logical step up from what I had. That was back in 88' or 89' I think? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jun 27 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #36

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Drove hotted up bugs through high school and into college.

While in College, my bug got hit by drunk teenagers, so I found myself buying a 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible for $500. Didn't run for shit, so I rebuilt it as a fire breathing monster with two speeds.... .Idle and GOOOOOOO! Drove that sucker through college, laid rubber in two gears....

After College, it rusted in two, the wifey made me sell it, so I ended up with a four seat family Accord (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon8.gif)

Fast forward to later, I'm collecting overtime and the wifey says "buy something you want with it....." What to buy? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

Another sportscar that is aircooled so I can do one of my famous monster engine rebuilds..... Another Ghia?... Nah, offset pedals give me a charley horse. A coupla rides in my buds aubergine 914 showed me the way....

Off we went on a North Carolina car search. Looked at a dozen or so before I found one $1800 POS that passed the screwdriver test. Had a quarter inch of cracked lacquer (with rust coming out of the cracks) and a reasonable hellhole.......

One engine rebuild, , tranny rebuild, and a body strip and panel align later, I'm waiting for paint......

Ken
+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Jun 27 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #37

rebuilt member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,532
Region Association: None

It's 1969, and I'm being sent to Germany with the Army. I had a TR-3 and felt kind of sporty.. Wanted to move up to a new car for my tour.. Saw a silhouette of a MID-Engined road car in R&T, alongside the Shadow Can-Am entry and fell in love sight unseen.. Ordered one, white /6 with 14" fuchs (Lower effective gear ratio, you know..) and brown interior. Picked it up in Brussels in the spring of 1970 and spent the next 18 mo's having a blast in the Mannheim, Hiedelberg, Karlsruhe area. Did you know that standing up and leaning out over the windshield in the passenger side at 140MPH feels like free-fall? I didn't do it, but my ranger buddy thought it was great fun...

Hopefully it will be back on the road soon!
+Quote Post
ovilla
post Jun 27 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 3,660

I was taking Drivers Ed in school (86') and I needed a car to take the test in so my cousin taught me how to drive stick in his black 914. The car was the coolest thing on wheels and I always swore that I would get one. Fast forward about 10 years (through USAF, marriage, and two kids) and I finally got a 914 (an Orange 75'). Then about six months ago I picked up another one (impulse Ebay buy). Now I have two 75's, an Orange one and a Black one. This is how much I enjoy the 914's. Some times I have to drop off the kids in the morning so I load them up in my Maxima, take them to school, and then come back to switch into one of my teeners. On the way home I also switch back to the Maxima. I have a one hour commute and I'd much rather be buzzing along in the teener with the top off. Plus I have to admit that I love the sound that my Orange one's bursch (with K&N filter) makes when going through tunnels. Finally, I am seriously considering selling my black teener to get a 4 post lift and eventually a 911 (hence the need for a lift). Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone secretly wants a 911?
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jun 27 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #39

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (ovilla @ Jun 27 2005, 09:46 PM)
Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone secretly wants a 911?

914:The gateway car....

you start with a 914, then you go to a 911 and then a GT3! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 28 2005, 06:34 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (ovilla @ Jun 27 2005, 09:46 PM)
Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone secretly wants a 911?

Only as a donor car for a 914 /6 conversion. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 03:22 PM