Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Main Targa Seal Replacement, installing new seal
zfisher6164
post Jul 22 2019, 09:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,809
Region Association: None

I was not looking forward to changing the targa seal but it really was not that bad.
Lots of silicone grease and a small plastic putty knife so you do not scratch paint.
Removal is easy. For the install I put a lot of the silicone grease in the right door channel and slid one side all the way down then pushed the outside channel in with the putty knife. The top curve of the door seal takes the most work. The top part you extend across the top and hit it in with your palm so the metal part grabs the metal flange of the window. Repeat on the other window side. It is greasy but easy to clean and the new seal is much tighter on the top and looks betterAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zfisher6164
post Jul 22 2019, 09:27 AM
Post #2

QUOTE(zfisher6164 @ Jul 22 2019, 10:24 AM) *

I was not looking forward to changing the targa seal but it really was not that bad.
Lots of silicone grease and a small plastic putty knife so you do not scratch paint.
Removal is easy. For the install I put a lot of the silicone grease in the right door channel and slid one side all the way down then pushed the outside channel in with the putty knife. The top curve of the door seal takes the most work. The top part you extend across the top and hit it in with your palm so the metal part grabs the metal flange of the window. Repeat on the other window side. It is greasy but easy to clean and the new seal is much tighter on the top and looks better

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
zfisher6164
post Jul 22 2019, 09:27 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(zfisher6164 @ Jul 22 2019, 10:27 AM) *

Removal is easy. For the install I put a lot of the silicone grease in the right door channel and slid one side all the way down then pushed the outside channel in with the putty knife. The top curve of the door seal takes the most work. The top part you extend across the top and hit it in with your palm so the metal part grabs the metal flange of the window. Repeat on the other window side. It is greasy but easy to clean and the new seal is much tighter on the top and looks better

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
zfisher6164
post Jul 22 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #4

finished

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
zfisher6164
post Jul 22 2019, 09:38 AM
Post #5

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Jul 25 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #6

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Member No.: 2,422
Region Association: South East States

I was just doing this right now and I'm having problem to seat the top part on the metal gasket you mentioned.... Are you using the one from 914rubber?

Did you also used silicone grease while installing the top section?

Every time that it looks like it is in place it just fall back.... Was even considering glue...

Here are some pics on mine....

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 26 2019, 11:12 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Possible you have an earlier version we did. The new ones we have coextruded the clip into the rubber so our tolerances are tight and consistent. The old ones you can pinch the clip by applying pressure to close some of the gap. The problem was that the manufacturing tolerance was +/- .060, but again they can be manipulated open or closed easily.

Also 3M weather-strip adhesive can be used and easily removed later as it will stay gummy if you go that route.

Happy to trade for a new one if you want to exchange. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mark
+Quote Post
zfisher6164
post Jul 28 2019, 02:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(914pipe @ Jul 26 2019, 12:08 AM) *

I was just doing this right now and I'm having problem to seat the top part on the metal gasket you mentioned.... Are you using the one from 914rubber?

Did you also used silicone grease while installing the top section?

Every time that it looks like it is in place it just fall back.... Was even considering glue...

Here are some pics on mine....

I got mine from auto atlanta amd it had metal clios in the rubber that must be pushed on the metal, I hit it with the palm of my hand
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 29 2019, 05:03 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Well that explains why I have never been able to get the top portion of mine to stay on! Thought it was just me.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 26 2019, 09:12 AM) *

Possible you have an earlier version we did. The new ones we have coextruded the clip into the rubber so our tolerances are tight and consistent. The old ones you can pinch the clip by applying pressure to close some of the gap. The problem was that the manufacturing tolerance was +/- .060, but again they can be manipulated open or closed easily.

Also 3M weather-strip adhesive can be used and easily removed later as it will stay gummy if you go that route.

Happy to trade for a new one if you want to exchange. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mark

+Quote Post
zfisher6164
post Jul 29 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #10

the top seal should have metal in the rubber deal to grab the metal of the windshield. Not sure how the seal would stay on without the metal clips to grab. maybe they used glue in the earlier models
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Jul 29 2019, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Member No.: 2,422
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 26 2019, 10:12 AM) *

Mark

Thanks for the info! I removed the metal clip and tested and fit fine, so I'm going with the 3M weather-strip adhesive route.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:11 AM