Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Alternator/Voltage Regulator issue, Alternator light is on until rpm's increase
PDXMike
post Jul 26 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #1

Slowly Learning

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,501
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My alternator light stays on after I start the car. It was dim, and it would go off (and stay off) as soon as I got the RPMs up over 1000 or so. I did eventually find a faulty connection between the battery and the Voltage Regulator, which I thought would solve my problem. Instead, I now have a similar condition except that the charge light is on full bright (not just dim, like before) until I blip the rev's up a bit. It will still go off and then stay off for the rest of the time the car is running.

With the car running at about 1000rpm I am getting 14V at the battery. Pulling the VR and shorting D+ to Df results in 16-17V at the battery, so I am assuming my alternator is good.

I thought there was something going on with the VR not applying enough voltage to the field at start-up, so I ordered a replacement. They new Voltage Regulator is an AC/Delco part, not the OEM. I have exactly the same issue with the new Voltage Regulator.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 04:38 PM