Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine loses power, dies, but restarts in a minute, Diagnosis help please?
SteveL
post Aug 4 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 991
Region Association: None

Happens when idling or driving. After 5-10 minutes, the engine loses all power, stepping on gas pedal does nothing. Engine dies. Restarts like nothing in wrong in 10 to 60 seconds and runs great for another 10 minutes.

74 1.8 L-Jet. Bosch 2 port updated fuel pump. Just getting it back on the road after being under a cover for 3 years. It had old gas, which I drained and replaced. New fuel filter after new fuel. The fuel pump was replaced 4 years ago, but only about 1000 miles on it. Old gas was, however pumped through it. I just replaced the fuel filter again, thinking it might be clogging up from the lines being rinsed with the new gas, but it made no difference.

Ideas Please?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post Jan 22 2022, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

9 to 10 it will be fuel delivery problem.

i've got a similar thing with mine but its hot weather related.
i had to replace the original fuel pump (the original 3 port) with an inline.
(its under the engine bay location).
the inline fights for fuel in hot weather and its due to how i had to route the hoses in, combined with just enough heat radiating off engine and exhausts to cause some cavitation. goes away when its cooler weather. also only happens at the lights sitting idling when heat builds up under car, does not happen on the move.

not saying your problem is this exactly, but i'll bet its fighting for fuel.
and something is causing it along the fuel line track to the pump.

there is a chance it is also the power to pump cutting out randomly as suggested above.

i've rebuilt my original fuel pump and will be reinstalling it to get rid of the fuel line that loops just that little bit too tight to get it into the inlet side of pump. also going to shield the metal fuel lines i did to replace the original plastic ones where they exit the tunnel and travel across to the fuel pump as i think this is part of the problem but not all of the problem.

hope that helps you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:54 PM