Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine loses power, dies, but restarts in a minute, Diagnosis help please?
SteveL
post Aug 4 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 991
Region Association: None

Happens when idling or driving. After 5-10 minutes, the engine loses all power, stepping on gas pedal does nothing. Engine dies. Restarts like nothing in wrong in 10 to 60 seconds and runs great for another 10 minutes.

74 1.8 L-Jet. Bosch 2 port updated fuel pump. Just getting it back on the road after being under a cover for 3 years. It had old gas, which I drained and replaced. New fuel filter after new fuel. The fuel pump was replaced 4 years ago, but only about 1000 miles on it. Old gas was, however pumped through it. I just replaced the fuel filter again, thinking it might be clogging up from the lines being rinsed with the new gas, but it made no difference.

Ideas Please?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Seattle_914
post Jan 22 2022, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 25,806
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thank you wonkipop for the lightning fast response. First step will be to remove the gas tank and replace the fuel filter. Then look at getting new fuel pump or scoping out wiring in that area. Appreciate the input.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 22 2022, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Seattle_914 @ Jan 22 2022, 04:24 PM) *

Thank you wonkipop for the lightning fast response. First step will be to remove the gas tank and replace the fuel filter. Then look at getting new fuel pump or scoping out wiring in that area. Appreciate the input.

i'd check the filter on the feed side of pump first.
its a bit of a classic for a blockage to build up in that then float off once the pump stops.

where is the pump in yours.
if it is pre 75 and under the engine bay is it still an original pump (ie the old three ports with all the ports at one end)?
i think that inline pumps (like all modern fuel pumps) and those that were installed in 75 up the front (early inline) are just a tiny bit more prone to cavitation than the old 3 port roller cell pumps. not a problem if the pump is up the front. those old pumps were good in the engine bay location (particularly where they moved it to in 74 just a bit further away from the heat sources in engine bay area) but most of them wore out long ago. however there are still some on lower mileage cars. those pumps were built to military grade spec.

my three port was leaking fuel everywhere after a long lay up.
i had take it off. but it still ran.
so i rebuilt it. it turned out to be not that hard to do.
a bit tricky. once you open them up you can see how much wear there is on the electric motor brushes and armature. mine was barely worn so worth the rebuild to put all new seals into it. i'm hoping it means that all the curves on the fuel lines can go back to being very relaxed curves and get rid of my problem. the feed line on the new pump i installed meant a curve on the hose in that i just felt was too tight but had little choice about due to the length of the pump and having to connect the hoses at either end.
not as good a layout as original fuel pump allowed. i can hear the pump cavitating when the car is hot and the idle will start hunting. in extreme instances the engine starts to die and i have to kick the throttle and hold it at higher revs to keep it going. all fine once i am on the move.

given its summer down here i am having to put up with it again so its on my mind to get it on the hoist and get it sorted.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 08:05 PM