Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.7 CIS, Another six conversion
John
post Aug 13 2019, 09:09 AM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I tried searching, but didn't get much.

What is involved with fitting a 2.7 with CIS in a 914? I can figure out the plumbing and the electrical, but I believe that I had read long ago that it was a PITA to fit CIS without cutting anything or perhaps a mixture of different parts could be used or parts of the intake could be relocated in order to get it all to fit. I'd prefer to avoid cutting this 914 engine compartment since I'm trying to make this one appear mostly factory. Any advice or better yet pictures would be appreciated.

I'd rather not go with carbs, since I believe that I'd need to swap cams and pistons in order to do it right.

This one is only going to be a fun street car (I already have a dedicated track car)

(All my conversion experience has been with 3.2s, but I have this body, and I have this engine...)

Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 13 2019, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Contact Chris Foley, Tangerine Racing. He was involved in this project, possibly as the installer? If not, he and Ed certainly worked on/maintained it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-23/

I still kick myself daily for not buying that car. Really grinds my gears to have missed that one...
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 13 2019, 09:19 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Subscribing. I have been told it is possible, maybe with a Naro engine mount to help control the height of the engine?
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 13 2019, 09:29 AM
Post #4

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 13 2019, 11:16 AM) *

I still kick myself daily for not buying that car. Really grinds my gears to have missed that one...

No doubt... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 13 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You actually rotate the cis 180 degrees and rebolt down.. It is pretty straight forward..

Let me know if I can help.. Also note the naro mount drops the height of the engine approximately 3/4" and will NOT allow for a stock scavange line..
+Quote Post
morgan_harwell
post Aug 13 2019, 10:22 AM
Post #6

Ha! Finally snuck up on a camera!

Member No.: 203
Region Association: Northern California

I did this in 1987 with a 2.4L CIS engine. I did not need to cut up the engine bay or rotate the injection system in any direction.

1. I moved the engine lid latch assembly from the Driver's side to the Passenger side of the engine bay to make room for the CIS (requires some spot welds and making a longer release cable). The engine lid is designed for the latch pin assembly to be mounted on Driver's or Passenger side, so I moved it to the Passenger side on my original lid(again a couple of spot welds involved). Many years later, when I ordered a GT Lid from PCA7GGR, I had Sergio perform the same modification to the GT Lid before he painted it.

2. I relocated a CIS item from the rear-top of the CIS assembly (I think an altitude compensation part, has 3 hoses attached to it) to below the CIS assembly. I attached it to the lower part of the #6 intake manifold.

3. I replaced the fuel fitting on the back of the CIS Fuel Distributor. The original fitting came straight out of the FD directly into the rear firewall, so I replaced it with a welded up 90 degree banjo fitting.

4. I used the Becker Engineering 6-conversion mount at the time (1987). I will be switching that out this year (2019) for the Naro Mount, so that I can install the MB911 Heat Exchangers I bought a couple of years ago.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Aug 13 2019, 10:23 AM
Post #7

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 13 2019, 07:16 AM) *

Contact Chris Foley, Tangerine Racing. He was involved in this project, possibly as the installer? If not, he and Ed certainly worked on/maintained it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-23/

Whose car was that? It had one of my tri-gauges in it. Too bad there weren't too many pictures of the engine. That car is about what I'm considering building this one to look except with flares.

+Quote Post
John
post Aug 13 2019, 10:28 AM
Post #8

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 13 2019, 08:14 AM) *

You actually rotate the cis 180 degrees and rebolt down.. It is pretty straight forward..

Let me know if I can help.. Also note the naro mount drops the height of the engine approximately 3/4" and will NOT allow for a stock scavange line..

Do you know for a fact that it's possible to rotate the intake 180 degrees and have it fit or did you hear that second hand? I can try that on a stand and see if it all works before attempting to stuff it in the car.

I will probably make my own mount and sheet metal again. It worked well with the 3.2s I did.

P.S. I may want to talk to you about exhaust.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 13 2019, 11:01 AM
Post #9

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(John @ Aug 13 2019, 12:28 PM) *

Do you know for a fact that it's possible to rotate the intake 180 degrees and have it fit or did you hear that second hand? I can try that on a stand and see if it all works before attempting to stuff it in the car.

I will probably make my own mount and sheet metal again. It worked well with the 3.2s I did.

P.S. I may want to talk to you about exhaust.

I have a conversion with a 2.7 running CIS. The you can rotate it no prob. Mine fit with minimal strife and modification. It is hours away from me at a body shop and the engine is out so cant take new pics, but if you search my conversion all the pics are there.
+Quote Post
John
post Aug 13 2019, 11:31 AM
Post #10

member? what's a member?

I have a conversion with a 2.7 running CIS. The you can rotate it no prob. Mine fit with minimal strife and modification. It is hours away from me at a body shop and the engine is out so cant take new pics, but if you search my conversion all the pics are there.

Tried searching, but came up with nothing. You have given me hope that it will fit. I suppose I need to go for it and see what I need to change in order to get it to fit.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 13 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #11

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(John @ Aug 13 2019, 01:31 PM) *

Tried searching, but came up with nothing. You have given me hope that it will fit. I suppose I need to go for it and see what I need to change in order to get it to fit.

Ya, I tried searching as well. Did the conversion in 2005. Had good pics and notes. Cant find it. Tried to use google as well...found lots of my transmission propaganda, but not my car. If you can find my threads from about 2004-2007 you will see good pics and info on what I did and fought with. I took out the rain tray and cut the engine bat release cable and tube out and make it pin down type. This gave me plenty of room. You unscrew the pressure manifold and simply rotate it and screw it back in. IIRC, 3 screws so can actually rotate less than 180, or more. I moved mine sideways, if I am not mistaken. Pics on home computer.

Fuel pump plumbing is different. Need the fuel pump, very high pressure. I replaced all my hoses with clear, new hoses for like $12 from NAPA. I did find the thread mentioning that. Boil water and push on to nipples, hard (man, that reads wrong).

+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Aug 13 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

Dropping the engine height 3/4 doest sound like a bad thing to me. I'm I missing something here on that statement?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 13 2019, 11:49 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

If you want to make your engine sheet metal let me know.. I have laser cuts I can sell them to you and you can form them for 150..
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 13 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Aug 13 2019, 09:48 AM) *

Dropping the engine height 3/4 doest sound like a bad thing to me. I'm I missing something here on that statement?

No not bad but the rear engine to sheet metal seal no longer seals and the engine mount is in the way of the stock oil line.. I am going to now be supplying soft line scavange lines with heat exchangers as soon as I make them up and figure out pricing..
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Aug 13 2019, 12:10 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 13 2019, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Aug 13 2019, 09:48 AM) *

No not bad but the rear engine to sheet metal seal no longer seals and the engine mount is in the way of the stock oil line.. I am going to now be supplying soft line scavange lines with heat exchangers as soon as I make them up and figure out pricing..

I just bought one of Naro's mount. I'm sure I can deal with the engine tin. Thanks for the info.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 13 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #16

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

one way to do it...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ngine&st=20

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 13 2019, 01:07 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Slits (RIP) had a 2.7 with CIS IIRC.

I don't think he posted much on it but I saw the car running several times. It fit neatly and I always thought that the system itself is ingenious.

IIRC the hardest thing was the fuel accumulator and the fuel pump since it runs at high pressure.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 13 2019, 01:22 PM
Post #18

914 Wizard

Jeff Tucker wrote;
No cutting required. I made a custom intake using an early Volvo 242 intake base and fabricated an intake elbow. Wiring was not complex you just need to focus. We removed the fuse panel. Added a fuel pump relay and a tach wire from the back. I put the computer under the passenger seat and added a sensor bung on 1 58" headers.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 13 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #19

914 Wizard

last

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 13 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard

@Dr Evil
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...32819&st=20

I had the engine going in and realized that my engine lid release mechanism was crushing my air boot and FI distributor. I had to lower the engine and then I 'savaged' the release off with some vice grips and a 4" angle grinder chop wheel. I need to put the front tin in and the tranny now.

I lost a lot of blood yesterday with all of the metal cutting.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:02 AM