Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.7 CIS, Another six conversion
mepstein
post Aug 13 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 13 2019, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Aug 13 2019, 01:31 PM) *

I have a conversion with a 2.7 running CIS. The you can rotate it no prob. Mine fit with minimal strife and modification. It is hours away from me at a body shop and the engine is out so cant take new pics, but if you search my conversion all the pics are there.

Tried searching, but came up with nothing. You have given me hope that it will fit. I suppose I need to go for it and see what I need to change in order to get it to fit.

Ya, I tried searching as well. Did the conversion in 2005. Had good pics and notes. Cant find it. Tried to use google as well...found lots of my transmission propaganda, but not my car. If you can find my threads from about 2004-2007 you will see good pics and info on what I did and fought with. I took out the rain tray and cut the engine bat release cable and tube out and make it pin down type. This gave me plenty of room. You unscrew the pressure manifold and simply rotate it and screw it back in. IIRC, 3 screws so can actually rotate less than 180, or more. I moved mine sideways, if I am not mistaken. Pics on home computer.

Fuel pump plumbing is different. Need the fuel pump, very high pressure. I replaced all my hoses with clear, new hoses for like $12 from NAPA. I did find the thread mentioning that. Boil water and push on to nipples, hard (man, that reads wrong).

Mike - is that engine in your green car?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 13 2019, 02:59 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 13 2019, 02:39 PM) *

I have a conversion with a 2.7 running CIS. The you can rotate it no prob. Mine fit with minimal strife and modification. It is hours away from me at a body shop and the engine is out so cant take new pics, but if you search my conversion all the pics are there.

Tried searching, but came up with nothing. You have given me hope that it will fit. I suppose I need to go for it and see what I need to change in order to get it to fit.

Ya, I tried searching as well. Did the conversion in 2005. Had good pics and notes. Cant find it. Tried to use google as well...found lots of my transmission propaganda, but not my car. If you can find my threads from about 2004-2007 you will see good pics and info on what I did and fought with. I took out the rain tray and cut the engine bat release cable and tube out and make it pin down type. This gave me plenty of room. You unscrew the pressure manifold and simply rotate it and screw it back in. IIRC, 3 screws so can actually rotate less than 180, or more. I moved mine sideways, if I am not mistaken. Pics on home computer.

Fuel pump plumbing is different. Need the fuel pump, very high pressure. I replaced all my hoses with clear, new hoses for like $12 from NAPA. I did find the thread mentioning that. Boil water and push on to nipples, hard (man, that reads wrong).

his grey 914 at scotty's.....????
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 14 2019, 06:13 AM
Post #23

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 13 2019, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 13 2019, 02:39 PM) *

his grey 914 at scotty's.....????

Your search prowess is rock solid!

The green engine is not mine. The primer car is at Scotty’s. I have no parking for it.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 14 2019, 01:13 PM
Post #24

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Send member adidas a PM. He is working on my ‘72 914 with CIS 2.7 right now. He can probably take pictures for you.
+Quote Post
John
post Aug 28 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #25

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Aug 13 2019, 08:22 AM) *

I did this in 1987 with a 2.4L CIS engine. I did not need to cut up the engine bay or rotate the injection system in any direction.

1. I moved the engine lid latch assembly from the Driver's side to the Passenger side of the engine bay to make room for the CIS (requires some spot welds and making a longer release cable). The engine lid is designed for the latch pin assembly to be mounted on Driver's or Passenger side, so I moved it to the Passenger side on my original lid(again a couple of spot welds involved). Many years later, when I ordered a GT Lid from PCA7GGR, I had Sergio perform the same modification to the GT Lid before he painted it.

2. I relocated a CIS item from the rear-top of the CIS assembly (I think an altitude compensation part, has 3 hoses attached to it) to below the CIS assembly. I attached it to the lower part of the #6 intake manifold.

3. I replaced the fuel fitting on the back of the CIS Fuel Distributor. The original fitting came straight out of the FD directly into the rear firewall, so I replaced it with a welded up 90 degree banjo fitting.

4. I used the Becker Engineering 6-conversion mount at the time (1987). I will be switching that out this year (2019) for the Naro Mount, so that I can install the MB911 Heat Exchangers I bought a couple of years ago.

I like the thought of leaving most of the CIS as is. Does that car still use a stock air filter? (I know it is a 2.4 and mine is a 2.7, but they should be similar) I'm going to have to get off my butt and pull the big dent and get this project moving forward. I suppose I will bolt a trans onto the engine and see what it looks like jacked up into position. I could easily move the engine lid latch and release mech to the passenger side. The franken-tub is cleaner than I remembered. The guy in Mason City did claim it was a CA car, but it has (2) two 76/76 front fenders and front panel on it.

+Quote Post
morgan_harwell
post Aug 28 2019, 02:59 PM
Post #26

Ha! Finally snuck up on a camera!

Member No.: 203
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(John @ Aug 28 2019, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Aug 13 2019, 08:22 AM) *

I did this in 1987 with a 2.4L CIS engine. I did not need to cut up the engine bay or rotate the injection system in any direction.

1. I moved the engine lid latch assembly from the Driver's side to the Passenger side of the engine bay to make room for the CIS (requires some spot welds and making a longer release cable). The engine lid is designed for the latch pin assembly to be mounted on Driver's or Passenger side, so I moved it to the Passenger side on my original lid(again a couple of spot welds involved). Many years later, when I ordered a GT Lid from PCA7GGR, I had Sergio perform the same modification to the GT Lid before he painted it.

I like the thought of leaving most of the CIS as is. Does that car still use a stock air filter? (I know it is a 2.4 and mine is a 2.7, but they should be similar)

Yes, my 914 with 2.4L uses a stock CIS air filter, which is the same part number as 2.7L or 3.0L (1973-1983). Though I did not need to, I replaced the air-filter cover with one off a 911SC (shorter snorkel).
+Quote Post
johnlush
post Aug 28 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #27

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The car referenced in posts 2 and 7 is mine. I started the conversion in the late 90's and never got it finished before trading it to my bro-in-law for his wrecked '71 /6. He had the conversion finished in CA. There was some less than craftsman type work done during that time even though it was done at a well respected shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) My bro-in-law drove it for several years before selling it on BaT to a guy in NY. He had Chris do some work on it during his ownership but only drove it about 70 miles the whole time before listing it back on BaT. I'm so happy to have it back and continue to refine it. The 2.4 CIS engine is just perfect. Starts and runs great and just a really nice balance for a narrow-body car. I'm happy to take pics or whatever on how the CIS pluming/wiring all fits in to the engine compartment if that would be of help.
+Quote Post
live free & drive
post Aug 31 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 20,159

" Also note the naro mount drops the height of the engine approximately 3/4" and will NOT allow for a stock scavange line.."

Does anyone think this requires the dropping of the transaxle mounts also - to keep the shift console aligned?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 31 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Aug 31 2019, 08:34 AM) *

" Also note the naro mount drops the height of the engine approximately 3/4" and will NOT allow for a stock scavange line.."

Does anyone think this requires the dropping of the transaxle mounts also - to keep the shift console aligned?

In theory probably. I will let you know as I finish my clients conversion up..
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 2 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #30

member? what's a member?

Well, I repaired the passenger side outer longitudinal with a replacement part from RD and all went fine so I'll continue on with this car. I was surprised with the absence of rust inside the the box section that I replaced. I still need to grind down my plug welds. In general, this car is mostly rust free, but it had been in at least a few crashes.

It does measure out, according to the workshop manuals.

Now I get to proceed on to re-fitting the 75 front fenders and back dating them as well as modifying the miscellaneous reinforcements for the front trunk (the front panel is obviously different from the earlier cars that I have).

Does a stock 2.7 need a front cooler? I'm not sure, but if it needs one, I may want to mount the lines like a GT on the drivers side under the rocker panel. My last conversion, I went through the heater tubes as it has headers and no heat anyway, but now some folks seem to offer heat exchangers for conversion cars...
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 2 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

Ben/914-6Werkshop.com has the GT hard lines and stainless steel heat exchangers. You could run the car as-is and then decide if you need a front cooler. It depends on the climate, the engine, driving style, ect. Some engines run hotter than others no matter what.
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 10 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #32

member? what's a member?

A couple of pictures of what I'm dealing with...

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 23 2019, 08:35 AM
Post #33

member? what's a member?

Were all 914 Bodies painted white before color was applied?

I had heard this rumor a long time ago and believed it to some extent, but now with this current car, I believe it even more.

I was cleaning the glue off of the sail panels with glue remover and the 45 year old glue is coming off after some effort. Under the glue is glossy original paint down low on the sail panel, but the higher up I get, the silver fades away and I'm left with gloss white up at the top of the roll bar. I'm fairly certain that the white is factory applied paint, but was the whole car painted white first or just the upper portion of the roll bar? Why would they have done this, just to keep them from rusting prior to actual color application? This 914 shell has the most in-tact original paint that I have started a project with. I'm so glad that this one really has nearly zero rust to deal with.

I'm guessing this topic is already covered somewhere, but I can't seem to click on the search function today.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 23 2019, 08:46 AM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

No
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 23 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Maybe just white primer?
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 24 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #36

member? what's a member?

I don't believe it to be primer as it seems too glossy and also, the primer under the tar on the floors is indeed gray. I only removed tar in a spot where it crumbled, but primered sheet metal was underneath.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 24 2019, 09:34 AM
Post #37

914-6 GT in waiting

So many things done to these cars over 50 years.
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 27 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #38

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 24 2019, 07:34 AM) *

So many things done to these cars over 50 years.

That's my point. This car hasn't had much done to it. Probably in storage more than it was driven. Too bad they stripped all the stuff off and sold it piece by piece. I should have started on this 12 years ago, but life gets in the way sometimes.
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Sep 28 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 5,569

Forget all that CIS crap and make it look old school by converting to an EFI/ITB set up like I did on one of my early 911’s. The PMO ITB’s look just like carbs which is why I went that route.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 1 2019, 12:56 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Sep 28 2019, 06:21 AM) *

Forget all that CIS crap and make it look old school by converting to an EFI/ITB set up like I did on one of my early 911’s. The PMO ITB’s look just like carbs which is why I went that route.

I think we'd all like a setup like that, but $9k for everything is a tough pill to swallow (ITBs, AEM setup and all the fixin's)!!!
If it were in the 2-3k range I think we'd all be running that on our /6 conversions.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:27 PM