Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.7 CIS, Another six conversion
John
post Oct 1 2019, 03:05 PM
Post #41

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

That is certainly one way to go.

I already have what I have and will use the CIS. in my 74 914 body.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Oct 1 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 2,922

My uncle and I did a 2.7 install 15 years ago. We had an earlier CIS that had less components (not sure when they added more components, but I know the 3.0 version has more for sure). We just removed the engine lid latch afaik and secured it with hood pins. You can also rotate it 180 degrees as from what others have said. If you have a later model CIS there is a valve on the back side that interferes with the trunk and I believe you need to rotate the CIS or make other modifications.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 2 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #43

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 1 2019, 07:48 PM) *

My uncle and I did a 2.7 install 15 years ago. We had an earlier CIS that had less components (not sure when they added more components, but I know the 3.0 version has more for sure). We just removed the engine lid latch afaik and secured it with hood pins. You can also rotate it 180 degrees as from what others have said. If you have a later model CIS there is a valve on the back side that interferes with the trunk and I believe you need to rotate the CIS or make other modifications.

I cut out the guide tube for the lid release cable...didnt have to, followed bad advice. See how it fits with your mount, and rotated fuel distributor and any slight mods will be simple. CIS is great once it id dialed in. I wanted to use what I had, and make a nice street car, not a super car, but a fun, well mannered, all around sports car and the CIS will do that.

I did not run a cooler on my 2.7 CIS and lived in PA and drove around the East coast states (briefly, until I wrecked in.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ). I do plan on putting a cooler in the current one when its done for the sake of safety for the engine and potential hilly hot runs which I have not tried yet.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Oct 2 2019, 12:43 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Sep 28 2019, 07:21 AM) *

Forget all that CIS crap and make it look old school by converting to an EFI/ITB set up like I did on one of my early 911’s. The PMO ITB’s look just like carbs which is why I went that route.

SteveSC_US, Sent you a PM.
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 25 2020, 06:57 AM
Post #45

member? what's a member?

Started doing the flares thing on this car.

Before:
Attached Image

After:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 25 2020, 07:20 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Thanks for the update.

Where did you source the flares? Happy with the fit?
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 25 2020, 08:52 AM
Post #47

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 25 2020, 05:20 AM) *

Thanks for the update.

It's been so long ago, that I forget who I bought them from (it was an individual). I've had these for around 15 years. They were pressed out on the dies that AA and RD made around the time I bought these.

They fit well.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 25 2020, 08:57 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE(John @ Sep 25 2020, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 25 2020, 05:20 AM) *

Thanks for the update.

It's been so long ago, that I forget who I bought them from (it was an individual). I've had these for around 15 years. They were pressed out on the dies that AA and RD made around the time I bought these.

They fit well.

Good morning and thank you for the update.

Are you happy with the Naro engine mount? I am about to weld mine into the/6 project, seems like a good time to ask before I fire up the MIG.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 25 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #49

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

CIS is a better choice than most give it credit. It's very simple mechanical fuel injection only needing one electric pump. The 914-6 I bought was converted using a 2.7 with CIS. The PO turned the airbox 90 degrees instead of leaving alone. It's....interesting and gets in the way of the spark plugs. When I go to paint the 914, I'll pull the engine/trans and put things to a more stock or traditional position.
+Quote Post
John
post Sep 25 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #50

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 25 2020, 06:57 AM) *

Are you happy with the Naro engine mount? I am about to weld mine into the/6 project, seems like a good time to ask before I fire up the MIG.

Thanks!

I make my own engine mounts.

Before you weld it in, make sure the finished height of the engine is high enough to clear the shift rod. I've read here lately, that some folks have been having issues with that. Good luck on your project. As far as mine go, I have full size 3D models to compare with (aka complete cars).
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 25 2020, 09:11 AM
Post #51

Village Idiot

Here's a shot of the engine:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 25 2020, 09:14 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Thank you @John

Enjoy your updates, thanks for the posts.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 28 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #53

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Hey guys - someone pointed me to this thread as there seems to be a few questions about our 914/6 conversion mount.
I've never heard anyone say there was oil line or shift rod clearance issues.. we've sold over 3 dozen of these and use this mount in both of our own cars - Huey has a 3.2 stock engine with stock shift rod and stock oil tank location, and Papa Smurf has (had) a high compression engine based on a 930 case with the Tangerine Racing shift rod assembly and oil lines seemingly running everywhere throughout the car (oil tank up front). Both work fine. No need to space the trans mounts.

yes, it will sit your engine down a slight bit lower than stock, but that's because the mount needs to clear the brake bias assembly. All the aftermarket mounts have this issue.

FYI, we modeled this after the Patrick Motorsports mount - which I broke twice. My fabrication guy took one of the broken mounts and redesigned it for extra strength and support. Haven't broken it since, and we push over 360 hp through these mounts.

If anyone HAS run into an issue, please call or email me directly, I'd be interested in knowing what the issue is and if it's something we can rectify. But to date, the only one that we ever had a problem with turns out was installed upside down...oops...
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Sep 28 2020, 05:19 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Enough real estate under that lid to stuff a 2.7L turbo sytem in there as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 28 2020, 09:51 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 28 2020, 12:38 PM) *

Hey guys - someone pointed me to this thread as there seems to be a few questions about our 914/6 conversion mount.
I've never heard anyone say there was oil line or shift rod clearance issues.. we've sold over 3 dozen of these and use this mount in both of our own cars - Huey has a 3.2 stock engine with stock shift rod and stock oil tank location, and Papa Smurf has (had) a high compression engine based on a 930 case with the Tangerine Racing shift rod assembly and oil lines seemingly running everywhere throughout the car (oil tank up front). Both work fine. No need to space the trans mounts.

yes, it will sit your engine down a slight bit lower than stock, but that's because the mount needs to clear the brake bias assembly. All the aftermarket mounts have this issue.

FYI, we modeled this after the Patrick Motorsports mount - which I broke twice. My fabrication guy took one of the broken mounts and redesigned it for extra strength and support. Haven't broken it since, and we push over 360 hp through these mounts.

If anyone HAS run into an issue, please call or email me directly, I'd be interested in knowing what the issue is and if it's something we can rectify. But to date, the only one that we ever had a problem with turns out was installed upside down...oops...

Wrong thread... @naro914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=345537
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 5 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #56

member? what's a member?

Anyone know or remember a member here REZRON? This tub was bought from him way back in 2005 and sat for many years (in my Dad's garage until 2016). It was supposed to be a tub from CA and had some damage to the passenger side long, and I knew both front fenders had been replaced and the passenger side wasn't attached. The hell hole is solid, and most of the rear end is rust free and original paint underneath.

The doors fit well enough (better than most I've seen). I replaced portions of the passenger side long after pulling the pinch seam back straight.

I started on the rear flares and all went well, so I moved to the front. Ran into issues in the front that I wasn't aware of. I knew the passenger side fender was not attached which I didn't mind, and I knew the drivers side had been replaced. What I had failed to notice was that the underside of the bottom of the front trunk was badly beaten up. The inside of the front trunk appeared straight.

Someone had used filler to flatten out the inside of the front trunk and failed to straighten out the sheet metal or even paint it during some repair at some point. I found this when beating out a dent inside the passenger side front inner fender and the bondo popped. Bad on me for not checking until now. I recall that REZRON was supposed to have been a a body shop person. Looking back, I should have known, but still makes me mad as there wasn't disclosure about the floor of the front trunk, the bulkhead in front of the gas tank and the area between the bulkhead and the firewall in front of the passenger compartment. After searching the threads and reading some of his threads from 15+ years ago, there were indications that someone in the past had performed some poor repairs in the front, but wasn't made clear at the time of sale. Luckily, this thing was cheap and it isn't rusty.

Many hours later (and much frustration), I have removed all the plastic filler in the front trunk, used a hammer and dolly (and other straightening devices for many hours and days) to straighten the floor, bulkhead, inner fenders, and area between the bulkhead and the firewall. Pretty sure I invented a few new phrases for DAPO's.

I have checked and verified the suspension pick-up points to be accurate and I can now proceed to re-attaching the passenger side front fender, and completing the flare installation. Restoration Design has some new pieces that I plan to purchase including a new gravel pan (bottom cover plate for steering rack). I hope to post some pictures of progress soon.
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 5 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #57

member? what's a member?

So, nobody knows Rezron. Hmm. Anyway back to the project....

I have attached the passenger side fender and resumed tack welding the flares onto the front end. I have a few more sheet metal warps to work out, as well as a few more areas to give my attention, but I think this tub will be fine after the TLC that I am applying. I will eventually need some aluminum trim (roll bar and windshield frame) and possibly some early chrome bumpers to finish this thing (hint, hint... wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more).

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 6 2020, 09:44 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Press on, it’s going to be great.
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Dec 8 2020, 07:50 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Well done John. Do you have any in progress photos of a fender installation? Or can you write up the steps you used? Specifically I'm interested in how you mounted the fender to the car and how you cut the old fender, keeping the new fender in position.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 8 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #60

Village Idiot

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Dec 8 2020, 05:50 AM) *

Well done John. Do you have any in progress photos of a fender installation? Or can you write up the steps you used? Specifically I'm interested in how you mounted the fender to the car and how you cut the old fender, keeping the new fender in position.

I've installed 3 of the AA sets, pretty straight forward. I did one thread on it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=89850&st=0

Looks like John is installing sort of similar. Looks great!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:47 AM