Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Any Subie conversion shops in southern California, Just bought a roller and looking to do a Subie conversio
Thunderchief
post Aug 15 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,365
Region Association: Southern California

Just purchased my first Porsche. A 1971 914 with a dead motor so I figured the best bang for the buck would be a Subie motor/trans swap but I'm having trouble finding a shop in southern California. Renegade is backed up for several months. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 22)
76-914
post Aug 16 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Aug 16 2019, 04:36 PM) *

The 901 works well. The gearing is short for the power of the motor. I do use first gear to get going, but the majority is second on. I can start in second if I want to. Top end is around 120. Its got more plenty of power and accelerates like a street bike. Everyone says it can handle 300 HP. My current tune on the suby was dyno tested at 215 HP, and 225 torque. The Accessport 3 tune I may install will bump it up around 250 HP. I honestly would be afraid of this car with anything more than that, as the carrera brakes won't be able to stop its velocity.

To get one done that is in fact cheaper, but you have to find someone who needs to get out. My car was done by someone else here on the 914world forum and I have about $60,000 of his receipts. A very nice gentleman, much older than I am whose body must not have done well climbing in and out. He purchased a very nice Boxter with AC and better seats...

Remember, labor is minimally $100.00 per hour, in Cali and that each hour is spent "restoring" a part, not just putting in on the car. Then there is the car, the paint and body etc.. It adds up. So I did get it much cheaper already built. There are more V-8 conversions on the resale market than subarus. I wouldn't dare dream of selling mine now that I have a near perfect car. (in my eyes). I believe once you see it and drive in it (should you dare to go for a ride with me...) you will immediately want one.

I just bought a spare USDM 2.0 turbo and trans for $1100.00 dollars off a 65K mile car on Craigslist. They're out there. Stay away from the JDM motors. You need a USDM so the computers will work.

QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Aug 15 2019, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Aug 15 2019, 06:24 PM) *

Mine was a Renegade car that was done very well. You are welcome to come take all the photos you want. 2.0 turbo with a 901. My plan is to ultimately convert to the Suby trans, but if you just want it converted, using the 901 bolts up REAL easy with no fabrication of axles or CV joints.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that soon to check your's out. Two questions on your conversion: how is it with the 901 tranny? Also, what did the conversion from Renegade run you, if you don't mind me asking.

That 901's gearing is just about the same as the 5 speed Subaru, including 1st gear. I've got one conversion with a 901w/H gear and another conversion with the full Suby swap. As far as Engines: Just about any Domestic EZ30D you find will have north of 100K but that ain't much for this model. I have a USDM with 185K on its clock that I pulled to fix an oil leak and you could still see the cross hatching in the cylinder walls. I have a JDM I pd $1000 that's like new. I used one of the 4 molex plugs off the USDM and one other small connector which I can't remember at this time. Thats it. A 20 min job. It's still in there and has about 7K on it's clock since installed. The D series is basically the same exact engine be it JDM or USDM but I can't speak to the other models.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Aug 17 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #22

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

You're more than welcome to check out our build thread. I just recently had the car moved over to my place to resume the build. We bought our as a roller, and found a donor 1998 Subaru Impreza with the EJ22 n/a motor. Both cars were $500/ea.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92942
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 17 2019, 08:34 AM
Post #23

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Aug 16 2019, 11:28 PM) *

You're more than welcome to check out our build thread. I just recently had the car moved over to my place to resume the build. We bought our as a roller, and found a donor 1998 Subaru Impreza with the EJ22 n/a motor. Both cars were $500/ea.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92942

Happy to see it back in the works. I wondered what happened to this build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 01:34 PM