Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sealing nuts, Chasing oil leaks all the way
worn
post Aug 17 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So, the 911 motor died in montana, the six conversion was considering jettisoning the tranny, and on the lift is the four cylinder 914. For a brief time i figured the fracking had paid off, but now I have to admit major problems with oil leaks.
Most of the trouble is probably from the oil pump gaskets, Melling. Along with oil filter console leaks.
I also want to replace the case bolt sealing nuts with new ones. I cannot find them though. All that i can find are 12 mm nuts for type 1-3 engines. Have they really stopped making the sealing nuts? They look like nyloc nuts with rubber in place of nylon.
Thanks folks.
Warren
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 18 2019, 01:33 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have bags of the 12m nylock nuts. Did you check with Porsche or VW dealer. Picture is of 12 x 1.75 mm

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 18 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Note, the leakage isn't likely to come past the Nylock insert.

Where they do leak is from between the washer and the case, between the washer topside and the nut. I put down a little Permatex between the case and the washer and a dab of YamaBond between the washer topside and the nut on final assembly.

This area isn't under pressure if the PCV system is working properly. More of a weep risk than an outright leak.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 18 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #4

can't remember

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 18 2019, 12:24 PM) *

Note, the leakage isn't likely to come past the Nylock insert.

Where they do leak is from between the washer and the case, between the washer topside and the nut. I put down a little Permatex between the case and the washer and a dab of YamaBond between the washer topside and the nut on final assembly.

This area isn't under pressure if the PCV system is working properly. More of a weep risk than an outright leak.

I thought that the bolts were made to run through oil galleries in the case, and therefore subject to around 3 bar of pressure. I agree that this isnt a big worry area, but am surprised i cannot find the nuts. Perhaps the nyloc nuts will do the same thing as the rubber sealing nuts.
Thanks
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 18 2019, 05:29 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

As far as I can tell from looking at my split cases, the galley comes in above or below the main bolt bores and doesn't intersect.

I didn't run a borescope though them but I can't see an intersection looking into them.

That would be silly to have 30-60 psi of oil pressure sitting behind those washers.

Take a look at yours, but, there is no way for the oil to get to or past the nylock portion without first leaking around the washer and the bolt shaft. I don't remember ever seeing rubber in any of these nuts, Only brittle old nylock material (red). Somebody tell me if I'm off my rocker.

There are anti-vibration clips that go on these long bolts at the middle of the case split but again, not for sealing. They prevent the unsupported bolt span from resonating and loosening.
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 18 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #6

can't remember

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 18 2019, 03:29 PM) *

As far as I can tell from looking at my split cases, the galley comes in above or below the main bolt bores and doesn't intersect.

I didn't run a borescope though them but I can't see an intersection looking into them.

That would be silly to have 30-60 psi of oil pressure sitting behind those washers.

Take a look at yours, but, there is no way for the oil to get to or past the nylock portion without first leaking around the washer and the bolt shaft. I don't remember ever seeing rubber in any of these nuts, Only brittle old nylock material (red). Somebody tell me if I'm off my rocker.

There are anti-vibration clips that go on these long bolts at the middle of the case split but again, not for sealing. They prevent the unsupported bolt span from resonating and loosening.

Thanks. Fortunately i have an extra split case to look at. Will do this week. I have the blue o rings from the gasket set as well as the washers. I can also swap out the old red sealing nuts for new nyloc. Just figure that there would be a source to replace the original, as there is in the vw world.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Aug 18 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 18 2019, 09:03 PM) *

... I can also swap out the old red sealing nuts for new nyloc. ...

Are there Nylocs in a high heat range by chance? Or are they generally robust enough to stand the heat from an engine?
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Aug 19 2019, 06:53 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

I wouldn't use a nyloc in a sealing capacity. Also, as mentioned, the temperature might exceed the nylon insert's ability to lock or seal.

I would be more inclined to put lots of sealer on both sides of the flat washer and torque the nuts to spec.

PS: I never understood how the seal on the new nuts was supposed to face away from the case. WTF?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 19 2019, 07:28 AM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I use loctite SI 5900 RTV never a leak.
Cleanup much easier than threebond/yamabond, con is it's thick and hard to press out with the 50ml tube. I use the caulk gun 300ml size but it's spendy if you only need a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Sealant-Engi...eway&sr=8-1
+Quote Post
73-914
post Aug 19 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,651
Region Association: None

Nylocs are not for sealing. Used for anti-vibration
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 19 2019, 01:12 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

QUOTE(73-914 @ Aug 19 2019, 10:21 AM) *

Nylocs are not for sealing. Used for anti-vibration

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:47 AM