Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need engine rebuild advice, Engine rebuild
Gplracer
post Sep 8 2019, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,442
Region Association: South East States

I grew up with a 914 that my dad drove. It was a 1973 1.7L. When I went to college in 1985 I took the car with me. A year later the engine got very tired. My dad bought me more reliable transportation. One weekend I came home my beloved car was gone. My dad had sold it.

Fast forward 34 year later and I have found the car! It was painted shortly after being purchased but never fixed up. I have the opportunity to buy the car back. I know the engine needs to be rebuilt. I do not know if I want to rebuild the 1.7L or find a 2.0L engine or doing a v8 conversion. I will take any advice you can give me.

I am leaning toward rebuilding the original 1.7L. If so can I get more hp out of it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
BeatNavy
post Sep 8 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is a great reference: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1529209

As Jake says, nothing special about the 1.7 case. It is a good basis for a 2.0 or 2056 (or higher).

2056 can be made from 1.7 case by dropping in 96mm piston/cylinder set and acquiring a 2.0 (71mm) crank. No machining required (unless the crank or case itself need work).
+Quote Post
Gplracer
post Sep 8 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,442
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 8 2019, 10:29 AM) *

This is a great reference: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1529209

As Jake says, nothing special about the 1.7 case. It is a good basis for a 2.0 or 2056 (or higher).

2056 can be made from 1.7 case by dropping in 96mm piston/cylinder set and acquiring a 2.0 (71mm) crank. No machining required (unless the crank or case itself need work).

Thanks! I noticed that is an old post and many of the parts are not sold by Jake any longer on his website. It does give me some good info.

Any suggestions on where to get the parts from. I am sure there are some out there that are really good and some that are not good at all. Jake's cylinders and pistons are really expensive but it looks like Mahle makes some good ones as well that are not as pricey.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:55 AM