Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie hoser scammer pics, The 914 has arrived
SirAndy
post Sep 9 2019, 11:24 PM
Post #21

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 9 2019, 08:52 PM) *

This is on the very bottom of car directly beneath the battery. The worst spot on the entire car that I have found so far. Question is it safe to pick up with my two post lift.

Looks like you found your rust. There will be more in that area, what you see is always just the tip of the rust berg.

Not sure about the lift, i wouldn't chance it, i think i can see the inside of your long in that pic.

The car looks nice otherwise.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 9 2019, 11:26 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Member No.: 179

This should be mandatory reading for anyone:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 10 2019, 12:40 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

As mentioned don't lift on there,clean car but looks like a battery acid victim...pretty normal.
The carb you have is a good carb but not on a T4,you have very long intake runners and no pre-heat,they are just ok but no better than much really.
If you have a bus motor you need to supply engine number so folks know what you have,I strongly suspect it may be unsuited to carbs and could be a D-jet or later L-jet, don't think carbs on 2.0 motors were around in that era in the US but certainly in Europe.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 10 2019, 03:27 AM
Post #24

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 9 2019, 09:18 PM) *

The rubber bumper pads are starting to crack a little along with some or the rubber gaskets and seals for Windows and trunks. Are these still available new?

Yes they are.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 10 2019, 05:39 AM
Post #25

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Looks like a pretty clean 914 you got there. Nice way to start off. Source some stock later front and rear sway bars to add to your 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 10 2019, 05:54 AM
Post #26

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Car looks surprisingly clean except for that jack point. That can be welded up easily assuming there's good metal nearby.

It's not a big deal to put fuel injection back on -- but since the PO put a different cam in there, I wouldn't do it. Not many cams play nice with FI. Probably better to plan on ditching that bus motor at some point and find something fresh with build details someone is selling here on the World.

On the suspension side, there are definitely upgrades available (adjustable Konis, etc.), but a fresh and properly tuned stock suspension is pretty strong too.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 10 2019, 06:17 AM
Post #27

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Welcome to the madness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 10 2019, 07:55 AM
Post #28

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

You have a great starting point. Most people find lots more rust than that.

Build a 2056 with D-Jet and install it. That is the most bang for the buck in the Type IV builds.

The transmission probably sheared the roll pin on the side shifter console. It happened to us years ago. Easy fix, but you have to drain the gear oil and pull the shift console.

Suspension upgrades would be a set of sway bars, new springs and shocks. and some wider tires.

The rest of the car looks great. Wonderful find!
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 10 2019, 08:04 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 23,429

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 10 2019, 07:55 AM) *

Build a 2056 with D-Jet and install it. That is the most bang for the buck in the Type IV builds.

The transmission probably sheared the roll pin on the side shifter console. It happened to us years ago. Easy fix, but you have to drain the gear oil and pull the shift console.

Suspension upgrades would be a set of sway bars, new springs and shocks. and some wider tires.

What's your thoughts on the steel fender flares, I want to keep the car as original as possible but my son likes the flares and sportier look. Would doing that take away from the car?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 10 2019, 08:31 AM
Post #30

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 10 2019, 09:04 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 10 2019, 07:55 AM) *

What's your thoughts on the steel fender flares, I want to keep the car as original as possible but my son likes the flares and sportier look. Would doing that take away from the car?

What I always say is "You have to live with the car. Do what you like to it." I have flares on my 914-6 conversion, my wife doesn't have them on her 914 1.8L. Our six is original, and is not flared.

If you add the flares, you need wider tires and rims. That means bigger brakes. And that means a 5 lug conversion. Be careful... its a slippery slope. I should know...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 10 2019, 09:04 AM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If your son had to pay for the flared look (and all that goes with it), the narrow body would be just fine. Detail only the parts price list and show it to him. Then drop 'by the way, the car has to be taken apart for the COMPLETE paint job'.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 10 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

yes the car looks very good, too good to be abused by a single carb!! (LOL)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Sep 10 2019, 09:48 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 21,628

You found some nearly antique parts catalogs, too - Tweeks hasn't been around for a LONG time....
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 10 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Fix the rusted out longitudinal, get the transmission shifting, and get all safety items (brakes, seatbelts, electrical) fixed BEFORE you consider flares.

You have a lot to learn, and a ways to go before you do radical surgery to a seemingly nice survivor car.

And..........

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 10 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 10 2019, 11:21 AM) *

Fix the rusted out longitudinal, get the transmission shifting, and get all safety items (brakes, seatbelts, electrical) fixed BEFORE you consider flares.

You have a lot to learn, and a ways to go before you do radical surgery to a seemingly nice survivor car.

And..........

^^^^^^
Excellent coaching, get it sorted and drive it for awhile before doing anything like that.
+Quote Post
Garland
post Sep 10 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #36

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I noticed this in your post, that’s a good two decade smile for a future ownership. This 914 found its home!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 10 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 10 2019, 10:21 AM) *

And..........

Thanks for the kind welcome, I totally agree with you on things to do first. My 18 yr old son was the one wanting to do the flares, I think the car is in too good of shape to start doing big mods like that. I like the thought of keeping as close to original as possible while making it safe and reliable at the same time. I already know that my son will end up with this car because I saw the look in his eyes
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 10 2019, 12:34 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 10 2019, 10:34 AM) *

I noticed this in your post, that’s a good two decade smile for a future ownership. This 914 found its home!

Attached Image

Yes sir that's my 18yr old son. He is in love with this car as is his little brother and myself.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Sep 10 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 10 2019, 11:21 AM) *

And..........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Sep 10 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think all of the above is sound advice.

I love that color (looks like Tangerine). If it were me I’d get The car operational first and then make a list of projects to tackle. I agree with Clay that the roll pin inside the trans is your most likely culprit. An easy job. Pull the long shift rod at the firewall and at the transmission. Drain the transmission. But make sure you can loosen the top trans fill plug before you loosen and drain the trans fluid. More than a few of us have pulled the bottom plug on the trans to drain it only to realize that they could t get the top plug off, leaving them no way to refill the transmission with fluid. Once the transmission is drained pull the shift console. I believe it’s just two 10mm or two 13mm bolts holding it in. The shift rod on that console that goes into the transmission has a ‘finger’ on it that engages the gears. The finger is held onto that shift rod inside the transmission with a small roll pin that goes through the rod and the finger. If it’s all in one piece you can tilt the whole console to get it out. If the shift finger has sheared the pin the console will come out pretty easily and the finger should fall out after it. Hopefully the pin parts fall out, too.

Inspect and see what’s needed. There are some seals to replace while you’re in there to help prevent leaks. I’d also check the bushings that the long shift rod rides in on the shifter console and replace. Cheap part but helps shift feel. Also there are bushings at the front of the shift rod. I’m assuming that since you have a side shifter trans that the front of the shift rod has the late style shift knuckle. That can be disassembled and the bushings replaces (search the site of how to do this without breaking the aluminum cage). Then go for a short drive...you’ll get a feel for what needs to get repaired. But get those rusted areas repaired quickly. Lots of help here and probably several people in your area here on the board willing to lend a hand.

On a side note the 914 is incredibly blessed on the amount of parts that are available. Very, very few parts are unavailable. For instance you asked about the rubber bumper tops being available. The guy that replied that yes they were? Yeah, he’s the guy that makes them...and about a million other parts for the 914. You can visit his site (www.914rubber.com) but prepare your wallet to be decimated in short order.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:45 AM