Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie hoser scammer pics, The 914 has arrived
Ratrod87
post Sep 10 2019, 09:34 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,429
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 10 2019, 07:13 PM) *

I think all of the above is sound advice.

I love that color (looks like Tangerine). If it were me I’d get The car operational first and then make a list of projects to tackle. I agree with Clay that the roll pin inside the trans is your most likely culprit. An easy job. Pull the long shift rod at the firewall and at the transmission. Drain the transmission. But make sure you can loosen the top trans fill plug before you loosen and drain the trans fluid. More than a few of us have pulled the bottom plug on the trans to drain it only to realize that they could t get the top plug off, leaving them no way to refill the transmission with fluid. Once the transmission is drained pull the shift console. I believe it’s just two 10mm or two 13mm bolts holding it in. The shift rod on that console that goes into the transmission has a ‘finger’ on it that engages the gears. The finger is held onto that shift rod inside the transmission with a small roll pin that goes through the rod and the finger. If it’s all in one piece you can tilt the whole console to get it out. If the shift finger has sheared the pin the console will come out pretty easily and the finger should fall out after it. Hopefully the pin parts fall out, too.

Inspect and see what’s needed. There are some seals to replace while you’re in there to help prevent leaks. I’d also check the bushings that the long shift rod rides in on the shifter console and replace. Cheap part but helps shift feel. Also there are bushings at the front of the shift rod. I’m assuming that since you have a side shifter trans that the front of the shift rod has the late style shift knuckle. That can be disassembled and the bushings replaces (search the site of how to do this without breaking the aluminum cage). Then go for a short drive...you’ll get a feel for what needs to get repaired. But get those rusted areas repaired quickly. Lots of help here and probably several people in your area here on the board willing to lend a hand.

On a side note the 914 is incredibly blessed on the amount of parts that are available. Very, very few parts are unavailable. For instance you asked about the rubber bumper tops being available. The guy that replied that yes they were? Yeah, he’s the guy that makes them...and about a million other parts for the 914. You can visit his site (www.914rubber.com) but prepare your wallet to be decimated in short order.

Thank you for the information about the shifter, my two sons are excited about getting to work on the car this weekend. My oldest son came home today from work and started taking the seats out to check the floor boards and replace the carpet . My youngest son is excited about getting to ride in it with the top off . I came home today and started trying to get an idea of what pieces I need to fix the hell hole, I really want to put the car up on the lift but I'm worried about bending the body or something , I have some 6"i-beams that I bought to build a frame table for my son's 36 Chevy, I thought about using them to make a table to put the car on and lift that . I plan on removing the rocker covers tomorrow to inspect underneath. Thanks for your help
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 10 2019, 09:58 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Try looking here at some threads on 914s that people have done chassis/longitudinal repairs.

There are plenty of builds here that will lay out for you what is involved. I would say that your damage isn't as bad as some cars that have been resurrected from dead/junkyard status.

If you can weld and fabricate, so much the better. Go look at Restoration Design too.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914

Good luck!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Sep 11 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 10 2019, 02:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 9 2019, 09:18 PM) *

The rubber bumper pads are starting to crack a little along with some or the rubber gaskets and seals for Windows and trunks. Are these still available new?

Yes they are.

Mikey is just being modest. 914rubber.com he has listed in the signature section of his post has tons of (previously)very hard to find parts for our cars.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 11 2019, 08:51 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 23,429
Region Association: None

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 11 2019, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 10 2019, 02:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 9 2019, 09:18 PM) *

The rubber bumper pads are starting to crack a little along with some or the rubber gaskets and seals for Windows and trunks. Are these still available new?

Yes they are.

Mikey is just being modest. 914rubber.com he has listed in the signature section of his post has tons of (previously)very hard to find parts for our cars.

Yes thank you , I have already browsed his web site making a list of things to get.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:16 AM