Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door threshold fixings and wheel nut colours, Trying to establish the correct fixings and colour
Bibble
post Sep 10 2019, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,472
Region Association: None

Hello all, I rather foolishly forgot to take any pictures of the fixings for the door sill aluminium strip (the wide one not the narrow one inside the car) when I took it off about 18 months ago. My car is an October 1971 - 1.7. I know there are pop rivers holder the lower edge on to the car but what goes at the top underneath the door opening seal? Is it rivets again or a small self tapping screw? If it is rivet what colour is the river? And what colour are the lower ones? I understand white on later cars ? But that would seem to clash with the aluminium colour as would Black that hold the rocker on.

Also, what colour were the wheel nuts originally? I have pendrini alloys in silver with black bolts. But the paint on the bolts looks very much a more recent home addition......

Any advice on either subject very welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Best wishes

Jonathan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Sep 10 2019, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

check this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=262175

Rivets available here:
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/r...lack-aluminum-1
+Quote Post
Bibble
post Sep 11 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,472

Thank you Brian, appreciate the thread and link - very helpful !

Best wishes - Jonathan
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 12 2019, 06:32 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Jonathan,

Your 71 would've used the white plastic rivit on the top of the aluminum thresholds, as I noted in the topic linked by Brian above, ut I don't know if anyone is selling them in white anymore. AFAIK Porsche dealers still sell the plastic rivets in clear.

Your Pedrini wheel lug bolts would've originally been finished as Silver Zinc plating, but IIRC later cars 74> did switch to black oxide coated lugs, so maybe yours are late replacements.

PS - IIRC this was also the case for all optional alloy wheels - both for the Mahle 4-Lug "Baby Gas-burner" magnesium wheels, & for the forged aluminum Fuchs 2L 4-Lug wheels - 1970-73 Silver Zinc Plated Lug Bolts, then Black Oxide 1974-76.

Good luck in the upcoming Rugby World Cup - but just not against our USA Eagles! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 18 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 12 2019, 06:32 PM) *

Jonathan,

Your 71 would've used the white plastic rivit on the top of the aluminum thresholds, as I noted in the topic linked by Brian above, ut I don't know if anyone is selling them in white anymore. AFAIK Porsche dealers still sell the plastic rivets in clear.

Your Pedrini wheel lug bolts would've originally been finished as Silver Zinc plating, but IIRC later cars 74> did switch to black oxide coated lugs, so maybe yours are late replacements.

Good luck in the upcoming Rugby World Cup - but just not against our USA Eagles! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Tom
///////

You rock Tom! Dead nits correct on both issues.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 3 2020, 10:29 AM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We make them

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/e...black-or-clear#

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Feb 4 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #7

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596

Whats the correct color for a 74?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 4 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #8

TMI....

QUOTE(TonyA @ Feb 4 2020, 01:26 PM) *

Tony,

Your `74 should have the black plastic sills & carpet strips, so yours & all 74-76 used the black plastic rivets.

1970-73 had the aluminum sills/carpet strips & would use the white plastic rivets.

PS -
FYI - Some of the later 1973 MY production from maybe April-May-ish or June had switched to the 74> black plastic sills/strips with black rivets. So it is possible to have a `73 with the black sills from the factory, as 914NEXT had posted in the linked topic in the 2nd post above.

Unfortunately, AFAIK 914Rubber only has clear & black (as Mark/Mikey914 posted above), & Porsche only has clear plastic rivets (may be listed as a 911/912 part).

A few years ago another member had some white ones, but AFAIK he's long since sold out of them. I did get a set from him back then in order to remount my `73's sills/strips.

Maybe some other members can find another supplier of these commonly used plastic rivets that carries them in white.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 4 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #9

TMI....

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 18 2019, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 12 2019, 06:32 PM) *

Jonathan,

Tom
///////

You rock Tom! Dead nits correct on both issues.

Hey Pat, Thanx! Hope you're doing well!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 4 2020, 06:51 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 10 2019, 08:06 AM) *

I would recommend against using the metal/aluminum rivets on your door sills, & instead use the plastic ones, which are easier to cut off with a razor blade, whereas you'll have to drill out the metal types, which is a royal PITA.

The reason is that you'll need to remove your rockers every few years to clean out the dirt which builds up behind the rockers, & then it holds moisture against the longitudinals & causes rust holes (if you drive a lot then do it at least yearly).

Rocker removal requires that the sills have to come off first & then be remounted. So save yourself a future hassle of drilling, & buy a few sets of plastic rivets plus a few spares each set for a few rocker cleaning projects.

The past repaints on my `73 had replaced plastic with typical silver color aluminum pop-rivets, which was indeed a load more work to remove for my current resto/renovation project. Drilling, removing & replacing rivets is a ton of work, & I have more than enough of that BS to do on our riveting aluminum skin 1960 Avion trailer (like an Airstream), thank you very much, & don't want to add 914 rocker rivets to that to do list!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

914Rubbber has the plastic ones shown in the post above.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Feb 4 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #11

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 4 2020, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(TonyA @ Feb 4 2020, 01:26 PM) *

Tony,

Your `74 should have the black plastic sills & carpet strips, so yours & all 74-76 used the black plastic rivets.

1970-73 had the aluminum sills/carpet strips & would use the white plastic rivets.

PS -
FYI - Some of the later 1973 MY production from maybe April-May-ish or June had switched to the 74> black plastic sills/strips with black rivets. So it is possible to have a `73 with the black sills from the factory, as 914NEXT had posted in the linked topic in the 2nd post above.

Unfortunately, AFAIK 914Rubber only has clear & black (as Mark/Mikey914 posted above), & Porsche only has clear plastic rivets (may be listed as a 911/912 part).

A few years ago another member had some white ones, but AFAIK he's long since sold out of them. I did get a set from him back then in order to remount my `73's sills/strips.

Maybe some other members can find another supplier of these commonly used plastic rivets that carries them in white.

Tom
///////

Thanks much appreciated!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:09 AM