Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> steering wheel, 1974 914 1.8............removal
brcacti
post Sep 10 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #1

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, is there a video or directions how to remove momo steering wheel and stock steering wheel, want to fix blinker and MIGHT put stock wheel back on, which wheel do you all prefer?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mepstein
post Sep 10 2019, 01:26 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I like stock. Unscrew the nut a couple turns but leave a couple turns threaded. I’m pretty sure it’s a 25mm. Pull the wheel to break it loose. Leaving the nut loose on the shaft will keep it from m hitting you in the face if it requires a lot of force to remove. You can tap the back of the rim with a rubber mallet to get it started.

Don’t use the steering lock to hold the wheel when you remove the nut. It’s not meant for that much force.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Sep 10 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #3

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2019, 12:26 PM) *

I like stock. Unscrew the nut a couple turns but leave a couple turns threaded. I’m pretty sure it’s a 25mm. Pull the wheel to break it loose. Leaving the nut loose on the shaft will keep it from m hitting you in the face if it requires a lot of force to remove. You can tap the back of the rim with a rubber mallet to get it started.

Don’t use the steering lock to hold the wheel when you remove the nut. It’s not meant for that much force.

Do I need to take that center bolt off to repair blinkers and install new ignition switch?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 10 2019, 02:30 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 10 2019, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2019, 12:26 PM) *

Do I need to take that center bolt off to repair blinkers and install new ignition switch?

Yes. It should take about 2 minutes to remove the wheel. Use a impact gun to remove the nut if you have one. Straighten the wheels before removal to make reinstall easier.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:21 AM