Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine Options, Picking the right build for my 1.7.
Gplracer
post Sep 11 2019, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,442
Region Association: South East States

After a considerable amount of research it looks like the following three options are my best choices for a 1973 914 1.7L rebuild.
1. Rebuild the engine the with the same displacement. This would require honing out the cylinders and installing new pistons.
2. Rebuild the 1.7 as a 2056. This would require new cylinders, pistons, rods, 2.0 cam and possible matching to make the valves bigger. Then new valves.
3. Buy a 2.0L motor, increase to 2056 by buying new cylinders and new pistons.

All of this assumes the heads are not cracked or need repairs. It appears that option 3 would be the best if I can get a 2.0 liter motor cheap. Plus option 3 would allow me to not have to split the case if there are not any issues. My car has been sitting for about 25 years and has around 80,000 miles on it. My dad was the original owner. The buyer never did anything with it. He parked it on a concrete slab with a roof over it and put a cover over it.

Opinions and advise?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:37 AM