Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Folding emergency brake handle parts help, Did a search, couldnt find it
gereed75
post Sep 25 2019, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Rebuilding an early folding e brake handle. I think it has been posted but searched and could not find it

Has Someone reproduced that Long spring rod with the pawl on it. And how about that elusive spring that is not shown in the PET that pushes up the ratchet cam (16 in the PEt drawing)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1484862641.jpg

Anybody know where to get it? Thanks
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 25 2019, 07:28 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Check with URO or JP Dansk parts. They are reproducing parts. Do a search, at one point I found a complete list of all the Dansk parts. I think there is one for URO too. Maybe URO parts man will chime in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 25 2019, 08:10 AM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Automobile Atlanta has new spring rods in stock.
I make a repair kit that keeps the pawl properly located without requiring disassembly to replace the broken rod. I had a thread to gauge interest in a group buy a couple years ago before George announced a fresh supply of the proper replacement part. Its not on my website but I have made a few of them.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 25 2019, 08:47 AM
Post #4

Thanks guys. Have two folding levers of variable completeness. Let me get them apart, spend some more time with the Pet and get back to the board
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 25 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think this is the spring you are talking about https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/p...-brake-spring-1
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 25 2019, 09:33 AM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

No, It's actually the one on the end of the rod.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 25 2019, 07:18 PM
Post #7

OK Here is the best I can tell:

The push rod #3 releases the pawl #5 that engages the Locking Segment #16

A complete #3 Push rod I have Yeaa!!

The #5 pawl I have, but the #16 locking segment is gone from both of my lever assemblies. But I think it is available from Asse Bros (and maybe AA) and looks like the third pix

how this Locking Segment fits into the lever handle I am not sure and why is has fallen out/is missing from two assemblies that I have is a further mystery

But it still appears that there is a further spring, not on the Pet, that tensions the pawl that looks like the first picture Courtesy Mike Fitton post. This is the one that Chris at Tangerine has devised a work around I think.

Can any one with a working assembly confirm how the Locking Segment fits in and whether the mystery Mike Fitton spring is in there??

The rubber boot is listed at Sierra Madre but is NLA. I have an old beat up one that will probably work as a place holder.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914bub
post Sep 25 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,260

Sorry for the stupid question but I've seen a lot of posts here about folding parking brake handles. What was the point or reasoning behind them?
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 26 2019, 05:48 AM
Post #9

Good question. I guess it was to fold the handle out of the way when entering exiting. A bit quirky, but if you have an early car and want it correct, gotta have one

I have a late one currently. Gotta rig an extension on the “cam” that operates the brake warning light, otherwise it works fine.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 26 2019, 05:54 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have #16 locking locking segment. It just sets over the mounting hole in the base.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 27 2019, 05:07 AM
Post #11

So is there a spring that tensions the pawl or does it just drop into the locking segment by gravity?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 27 2019, 07:00 AM
Post #12

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Sep 27 2019, 06:07 AM) *

So is there a spring that tensions the pawl or does it just drop into the locking segment by gravity?

The spring is part of the rod. When it breaks you have to replace the rod to get the handle to work again, or come up with some other spring mechanism such as the bent piece in your top picture.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 27 2019, 11:10 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

we have new old stock base handles with bushing, new old stock pull handles, new grips, new ratcheting gears, new buttons, new old stock rod with tension release spring clip, new aftermarket equalizer cables, new factory pins, and new springs and stop washers
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Sep 27 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,288

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 25 2019, 06:28 AM) *

Check with URO or JP Dansk parts. They are reproducing parts. Do a search, at one point I found a complete list of all the Dansk parts. I think there is one for URO too. Maybe URO parts man will chime in.

Can't help with the spring or locking segment, but we do have the correct smooth-surface grip, part number 901 424 521 01. Bbrock is using one on his restoration, see his feedback here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=336894

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pierre68
post Apr 10 2021, 01:45 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 25,418
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 27 2019, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Sep 27 2019, 06:07 AM) *

The spring is part of the rod. When it breaks you have to replace the rod to get the handle to work again, or come up with some other spring mechanism such as the bent piece in your top picture.

I couldn't create the spring, so I decided to use a small piece of compressed foam located behind the pawl, the whole thing is held together with electrical tape.
it works really well.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 11 2021, 01:33 PM
Post #16

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914bub @ Sep 25 2019, 08:45 PM) *

Sorry for the stupid question but I've seen a lot of posts here about folding parking brake handles. What was the point or reasoning behind them?

The handbrake handle on the 914 is right below the door opening. A traditional handle could be somewhat in the way while you are getting into or out of the car, so they made the handle a two-piece affair that would just flop down out of the way after it was set.

It appears that people would forget or have difficulty disengaging the brake, which would lead to the rear brakes overheating. Or perhaps it was cost-cutting, but whatever the reason they moved on to a one-piece handle in the 1972 model year (I think?) which didn't pull up very far, so it was mostly out of the way.

It was common practice for many years to replace the early two-piece handle with the later one-piece version, as the latter was generally more reliable and easier to operate correctly. Unless I were striving for originality, I would go with that route personally.

--DD
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 11 2021, 01:45 PM
Post #17

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2021, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Sep 25 2019, 08:45 PM) *

The handbrake handle on the 914 is right below the door opening. A traditional handle could be somewhat in the way while you are getting into or out of the car, so they made the handle a two-piece affair that would just flop down out of the way after it was set.

It appears that people would forget or have difficulty disengaging the brake, which would lead to the rear brakes overheating. Or perhaps it was cost-cutting, but whatever the reason they moved on to a one-piece handle in the 1972 model year (I think?) which didn't pull up very far, so it was mostly out of the way.

It was common practice for many years to replace the early two-piece handle with the later one-piece version, as the latter was generally more reliable and easier to operate correctly. Unless I were striving for originality, I would go with that route personally.

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Your memory hasn't failed yet Dave. It was 72 when they went to the non-folding handle. Our six has a late park brake handle, but we have an original in a box on the shelf in the garage. The later handle just works better.

Clay
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 06:24 PM