Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fluid on the floor: What could it be?, (time to take a brake?)Slight mystery upon returning from Okteenerfest
DRPHIL914
post Oct 6 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

After returning from Okteenerfest the car sat a couple weeks, and after taking it to Cars and coffee I parked it again but backed in and a few days later pulled out and noticed 2 small puddles , front at rear- cleaned it up them parked the car , then a few days later checked again and it’s for sure under front.
I was initially worried that I had a front crank seal when I thought it was from the back, and I am releaved that it’s not from the motor,
I did all that last year and am proud to say it’s been a leak free motor since then, and I didn’t want to pull the motor or trans.
BUT this is brake fluid, and I can’t really explain why this would suddenly spring
A leak (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I replaced all brake lines and the 19mm master cylinder about 3-4 years ago, no leaks no issues since then.
And I don’t have loss of pressure on brakes so I am assuming it’s the supply line so I guess I will be pulling the belly pan to investigate. Will post more info when I get a look just wonder why just now? I know the washer is there under the supply line connection, just weird this started now???

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
bbrock
post Oct 6 2019, 09:43 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What MC did you install? There were a small number in the first batch of MCs from 914Rubber that had a problem with the welch plug on top leaking. That area isn't under pressure but can slowly weep fluid. They test for it now so newer ones should be fine. I repressed the welch plug on mine and then filled the recess on top with JB Weld just for extra measure. Car has been sitting for months with no drips.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 6 2019, 09:49 AM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 6 2019, 11:43 AM) *

What MC did you install? There were a small number in the first batch of MCs from 914Rubber that had a problem with the welch plug on top leaking. That area isn't under pressure but can slowly weep fluid. They test for it now so newer ones should be fine. I repressed the welch plug on mine and then filled the recess on top with JB Weld just for extra measure. Car has been sitting for months with no drips.

It’s a 19mm 911 mc I bought from PMB when I got all my new hard lines and soft lines as well, same time that I did the 5-lug conversion- i did have an issue during install getting the supply line seated but once it popped into place it had been dry- I did not put in new supply line so maybe that the issue now? I home it’s not complicated it was a lot of brake fluid and the reservoir is pretty low.

Btw I’m not sure but what should I be putting in, just DOT3?? This is clean no blue tinting to it
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 6 2019, 09:50 AM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Is there any fluid inside on the floorboard?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 6 2019, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 6 2019, 11:50 AM) *

Not that I could see , but will pull the carpet later and make sure, will jack it up and pull the belly pan today as well.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 6 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Just see if it is on the floorboard. If so, a cup seal on the MC is torn and the MC is toast.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 6 2019, 04:26 PM
Post #7

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Someone else can correct me if I’ve got this wrong, ...

If you’re not sure if you are currently running dot3 or dot4, you can safely use dot4.
Use Dot5 only if that’s what you have in it now.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2019, 07:41 AM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

So last night pulled carpet and took a look under he pedal board and no fluid under the
Pedals and m.c. inside, so next is tonight I will try and get car jacked up and pull the cover to steering and m.c. . Btw brake pedal is firm with no loss of pressure so I am expecting to see a leak at the supply line - More fluid on the floor after it’s just sitting for a few days so it’s just leaking out from gravity.

+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 8 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #9

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@DRPHIL914 ' post='2753114
So last night pulled carpet and took a look under he pedal board and no fluid under the
Pedals and m.c. inside, so next is tonight I will try and get car jacked up and pull the cover to steering and m.c. . Btw brake pedal is firm with no loss of pressure so I am expecting to see a leak at the supply line - More fluid on the floor after it’s just sitting for a few days so it’s just leaking out from gravity.
[/quote]

You may need a mirror and flashlight to inspect the top of the master. My bet is a leak around the input lines.
A cheap cell phone endoscope is helpful to see into remote areas.
Bruce
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2019, 08:06 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Phillip - did you install the metal washers under the rubber grommets at the supply lines.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2019, 09:09 AM
Post #11

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Phillip - did you install the metal washers under the rubber grommets at the supply lines.

Back when I installed this I initially forgot- had the leak, then installed the washer and had no leak for the next 3-4 years until getting back from Okteenerfest- have you ever seen a supply line pop back out later?
+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 8 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #12

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 8 2019, 08:09 AM) *

Back when I installed this I initially forgot- had the leak, then installed the washer and had no leak for the next 3-4 years until getting back from Okteenerfest- have you ever seen a supply line pop back out later?

Make sure the lines going in to the MC are fairly straight with no or little angular pressure. The rubber MC grommets allow for the lines to come in at a bit of an angle (very slight), but too much could cause it to leak. You should be able to wipe everything down and then find where it’s leaking from given how big your leak is.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #13

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 6 2019, 11:50 AM) *

After closer investigation and looking outside at the supply lines tonight, seeing no leak from the master cylinder at the supply or the outgoing lines, I went back in to look closer, and yes there is fluid under the pedals cluster inside.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #14

Dr. Phil

Outside under MC and on top are dry, just wet at wall where Mc goes thru but really wet under at the low spot here pedal cluster bolts down to floor

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #15

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 8 2019, 12:50 PM) *

Make sure the lines going in to the MC are fairly straight with no or little angular pressure. The rubber MC grommets allow for the lines to come in at a bit of an angle (very slight), but too much could cause it to leak. You should be able to wipe everything down and then find where it’s leaking from given how big your leak is.

Well lines coming down are dry , lined up fine- BUT Mc will be replaced before car is driven again it looks like but this MC was new less than 5 years ago- hey Eric Shea, is the still under warranty?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

I'm certainly no expert but it sounds like it went bad. That's what kills the pedal cluster. Brake fluid on the oem plastic bushings.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2019, 08:49 PM
Post #17

Dr. Phil

Has anyone installed one of the MC from 914rubber?? $145 is about half of a new 19mm ATE,
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 8 2019, 09:08 PM
Post #18

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

I few have Ian made a video. Spend the extra couple of bucks and do the easy install, may save a few swear words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ZHK5f_9bE

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/1...er-cylinder-2-1

Or save a few bucks and install the URO one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 8 2019, 10:49 PM) *

Has anyone installed one of the MC from 914rubber?? $145 is about half of a new 19mm ATE,

I gave Ben/MB911 one of the two I purchased. I think he was waiting on a couple banjo fittings to connect it all up.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 8 2019, 09:46 PM
Post #20

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 8 2019, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 8 2019, 12:50 PM) *

Well lines coming down are dry , lined up fine- BUT Mc will be replaced before car is driven again it looks like but this MC was new less than 5 years ago- hey Eric Shea, is the still under warranty?

It might just be the grommets which can be replaced. I would have a new master and a pair of grommets ready.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:45 AM