Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> electronic ignition, 1974 914 1.8
StarBear
post Oct 11 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Tried the Petronix (II, I think) and fiddled with it for 3-4 months; never ran quite right which, I've heard, is not uncommon for the /74 1.8L (reinstalled points/condenser), though several (Big Len, others) have had no problem. Might be something with the stages Porsche fiddled with the FI system the first half of 74 - every few weeks there were a few changes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Oct 11 2019, 09:48 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am a total idiot, that cannot even set the timing with a strobe light.
Total confusion sets in when I stick my head above this raging engine, trying to peek down this little hole. I cannot see Jack-sh.t, while yelling at my son to keep the revs up to 3,000.

But all this doesn’t matter anymore. I bought the 1-2-3 distributor with Bluetooth option. During install I just rotated it until the green light came on. Then put in the curve with an iPhone and DONE.

The problem I had with the Petronics (occasional misfire at 3,000 rpm) was gone.

The 1-2-3 unit is not cheap, but for an idiot like me totally worth it.
It has some additional perks, like temperature check, RPM display, disable ignition (against theft) etc.

But never having to stick my head above this screaming engine again..... PRICELESS.

+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 11 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #23

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Anyone else’s 123 Ignition get crazy hot to the touch after running the engine for a brief amount of time?
So far mine is working great, but did notice the unit gets way too hot to touch which has me concerned a bit given the electronics inside.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 11 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #24

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302

QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 10 2019, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 10 2019, 03:32 PM) *

Just start with a 123 distributor so you can plug in a solution and eliminate all the nonsense. The TPS and all the other BS is just... poof... gone. Dwell? poof! At some point you realize what is better. Don't make it harder.

Rand thanks, but I know LESS about all of this than EVERYONE here so yes I will be more confused than all the others that make reply's. I ask for patience for non mechanics here, I am not a mechanic and own 2 honda's so have not had to work on cars for decades, very little use for any tools BUT I have a little interest in this and learning to work on my 914 so I can do lots of little things as they come up to save money.

............................................Rand...........tell me more, sorry for a dumb question do I have to buy a 123 distributor BEFORE I buy the crane fireball 700?
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 11 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #25

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

My luck with Pertronix is not good, so I can't recommend them. I know others have had good service life, but I guess I'm the exception. If you are dead set on a electronic ignition and have deep pockets then get Ignition 123, next choice would be the XR700.

Another way to go is to use the stock points to trigger a CDI Box (like a 914-6 or 911) but unless you have the CDI and correct ignition transformer (coil) it's expensive. In this set up the points are just a trigger for the ignition and carries no high voltage, so points hold up much longer.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 11 2019, 05:23 PM
Post #26

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 11 2019, 04:19 PM) *

My luck with Pertronix is not good, so I can't recommend them. I know others have had good service life, but I guess I'm the exception. If you are dead set on a electronic ignition and have deep pockets then get Ignition 123, next choice would be the XR700.

Another way to go is to use the stock points to trigger a CDI Box (like a 914-6 or 911) but unless you have the CDI and correct ignition transformer (coil) it's expensive. In this set up the points are just a trigger for the ignition and carries no high voltage, so points hold up much longer.

Thanks, who sells the 123 ignition? I did not see it in auto atlanta, did I miss it?
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 11 2019, 09:00 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Google is helpful here,

https://123ignitionusa.com
+Quote Post
pistonboy
post Oct 16 2019, 02:36 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 19,305

With an electronic ignition, a more powerful coil can be accommodated. The greater the spark occurring at the spark plugs, the greater is the spark occurring across the points. causing them to pit more. Hotter coils have always worked, but manufactures stayed away from them because point life was lessened.

Since electronic ignition has no points to pit, hotter coils can be easily used.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 09:14 AM