Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1980 Porsche 911sc slantnose, I know it’s not a 914 but own a 914 and Looking for some help
Willisbegood
post Oct 7 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,495
Region Association: South East States

So I got this car from an auction and I have no idea what it’s worth is. It’s a 1980 Porsche 911sc slantnose with wide body. It has been in storage for 10 years and does need some TLC but the motor turns and has compression and all the gears cycle through perfect. I’m interested to know what you Porsche enthusiasts think about what I have and if your able to help Put a value on it or let me know if I have something that have any value if any. Please message me if anyone can help thank and I have lots of pics it just would only let me upload one. If your interested to see more please let me know and I’ll reply with them. Thanks

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 7 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Fiberglass or factory steel conversion ?,sitting for a long time,generally not great for a CIS engine,targa roof/seals can very expensive if the roof leaks.
Has 915 transmission ,finding all gears has little to do with driving shift experience as these box's are known for expensive repair bills.
Any rust ? these cars hide rust like a 914,you get the idea,not trying to sour your purchase but that's the way it is ,good luck.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Oct 7 2019, 10:34 PM
Post #3

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Post pics of the 914 too...

Wow, that thing might be worth more parted out. Paint/body looks tired, missing targa top(?), not running. Not much info but I’d guess somewhere around $15k in current condition.

Nice wide bbs wheels $1000-1500
Engine core $5-7K
911 targa Roller (get some cheap 5 lugs): 7-10k
+Quote Post
Willisbegood
post Oct 7 2019, 10:37 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 7 2019, 11:33 PM) *

Fiberglass or factory steel conversion ?,sitting for a long time,generally not great for a CIS engine,targa roof/seals can very expensive if the roof leaks.
Has 915 transmission ,finding all gears has little to do with driving shift experience as these box's are known for expensive repair bills.
Any rust ? these cars hide rust like a 914,you get the idea,not trying to sour your purchase but that's the way it is ,good luck.

Thanks for replying. This is 100% rust free. I can’t find rust anywhere on it and all the carpet is out so I can see down to the floorboards and they are solid. The body is 100% all steel and done well. Thanks for the info on it. If you would to see pics please let me know thanks.
+Quote Post
Willisbegood
post Oct 7 2019, 10:41 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Oct 7 2019, 11:34 PM) *

Post pics of the 914 too...

Wow, that thing might be worth more parted out. Paint/body looks tired, missing targa top(?), not running. Not much info but I’d guess somewhere around $15k in current condition.

Nice wide bbs wheels $1000-1500
Engine core $5-7K
911 targa Roller (get some cheap 5 lugs): 7-10k

Yes the bbs wheels are original bbs and the rear tires are 11” I believe. I do have the top for it it’s just not put on right now. This is my 914

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Willisbegood
post Oct 7 2019, 11:06 PM
Post #6

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Willisbegood
post Oct 7 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cornerlot
post Oct 8 2019, 06:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,070
Region Association: Southwest Region

With the little info provided I'll make some assumptions. Assume no hidden collision damage, no rust or obvious rust repairs, and the interior is stock and solid. Body mods are fiberglass (OE steel came out later), and also assume it's still the CIS 3.0L which you get it running without excess smoke and with good compression numbers. All this assumed maybe $12k - $15k.

Not running knock is down to $10k. If the body was stock, then $25k. Two years ago all these prices would be x2, times have changed.

Steve

QUOTE(Willisbegood @ Oct 7 2019, 11:20 PM) *

So I got this car from an auction and I have no idea what it’s worth is. It’s a 1980 Porsche 911sc slantnose with wide body. It has been in storage for 10 years and does need some TLC but the motor turns and has compression and all the gears cycle through perfect. I’m interested to know what you Porsche enthusiasts think about what I have and if your able to help Put a value on it or let me know if I have something that have any value if any. Please message me if anyone can help thank and I have lots of pics it just would only let me upload one. If your interested to see more please let me know and I’ll reply with them. Thanks

+Quote Post
Willisbegood
post Oct 8 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Cornerlot @ Oct 8 2019, 07:05 AM) *

With the little info provided I'll make some assumptions. Assume no hidden collision damage, no rust or obvious rust repairs, and the interior is stock and solid. Body mods are fiberglass (OE steel came out later), and also assume it's still the CIS 3.0L which you get it running without excess smoke and with good compression numbers. All this assumed maybe $12k - $15k.

Not running knock is down to $10k. If the body was stock, then $25k. Two years ago all these prices would be x2, times have changed.

Steve

well actually a lot of your questions were answered in previous comments...I understand your opinion but I just paid 18k for the car. Need 20k for it
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 8 2019, 09:03 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Worth going over to pelican 911 form as well, good people who are very willing to help over there too.

That said-there are a lot of unknowns with this car and market preference is pretty strongly towards more original or backdated to look like a long hood car. I don’t think that’s economically viable to do with this car because getting it done properly is going to be at least 15 to 20 grand once you deal with paint as well. My coaching would be to do the minimum needed to get it safely ( safely includes not damaging any mechanical components like the engine ) running and driving and then make a plan from there.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Willisbegood @ Oct 8 2019, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Cornerlot @ Oct 8 2019, 07:05 AM) *

Steve

well actually a lot of your questions were answered in previous comments...I understand your opinion but I just paid 18k for the car. Need 20k for it

I need 100K for mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Oct 8 2019, 11:11 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,986

I would get that car running and enjoy the heck out of it. Love it!

if you provide the TLC it needs to get it in great shape (rather than just the bare minimum) you'll obviously get a lot more for the car.

I was kinda thinking value $20-30k but I don't follow the market that close
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 8 2019, 11:40 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Sorry but unless you are willing to put in all the labor to get it running yourself and get lucky on the selling end, you are upside down in the car at 18.
+Quote Post
bretth
post Oct 8 2019, 01:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

This car is currently on Craigslist here in Texas?
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Oct 8 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 991

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/san...6994443159.html
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 8 2019, 02:27 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,673

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 8 2019, 12:33 AM) *

Dis agree on the rust, starting in 76 0r 77 the 911 bodies were fully gavalanized so had very few rust issues. I had a 1980 Targa stock body with over 100K miles when I got it.
it had an oil leak which turned out to be the oil pressure idiot light sender way back on top of the engine. I had access to precision measurement insturmentation at the time so while i had the engine out pulled the heads & cylinders off and did a full inspection.
Cylinder bores and valve guide bores were within new tolerance cross hone marks on the nikisil cylinder walls were like new. All i did was clean everything, do a valve lap job and re-assemble with new rings.
.Even though it was a north-east car there was no rust anywhere.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 8 2019, 04:05 PM
Post #17

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Here is a 911 slant nose that is a little bit cheaper. No rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

https://hlj.com/1-24-scale-porsche-911-turb...t-nose-fuj12628

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bretth @ Oct 8 2019, 03:59 PM) *

This car in currently on Craigslist here in Texas?

So is OP trying to flip before purchasing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Oct 8 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 991

[/quote] well actually a lot of your questions were answered in previous comments...I understand your opinion but I just paid 18k for the car. Need 20k for it
[/quote]

Something seems fishy here. OP says he is into it for $18 and needs $20, but the craigslist ad is for $15.9. We are being played.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 9 2019, 08:55 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) after seeing the additional pics, that is a headache of a car. Even at 10k it would not be worth the effort.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:22 PM