Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 3rd to 2nd = GRIND!, 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th AOK
ctc911ctc
post Oct 8 2019, 07:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Hello Again All Teeners,

After 100 little projects I have the silver bullet (silver '74 2.0) back on the road, first time it has been registered since 1984.

Runs great, needs paint and perhaps a tranny freshening??????

I replaced all of the guide nylon bushings and re-centered the stick shift.

However, when down-shifting 3rd to 2nd is horrible, (GRIND!) better when I double shift.

First to second is ok, though at times if I am too aggressive it too will grind.

WHATS NEXT ON MY LIST????? remove the 1st and reverse section of the tranny? Complete rebuild?

Can hardly wait!

Many thanks for all of the great guidance over the years.

CTC911CTC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rjames
post Oct 8 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #2

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Easy stuff first- Make sure clutch the cable is adjusted to disengage clutch when the pedal is 1/3rd of the way depressed.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 9 2019, 08:36 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 8 2019, 08:27 PM) *

Easy stuff first- Make sure clutch the cable is adjusted to disengage clutch when the pedal is 1/3rd of the way depressed.

I agree, first make sure that the clutch pedal is at the complete top of its travel and that you only have 1/2 inch of play before it gets hard to push, and that there is no first reverse grind at a complete stop. If all of that is good, it is the transmission, second gear in a down shift grinding is usually the first to wear out. If you cannot stand it, new sliders, syncros and dog teeth will solve it. Any shop will charge ten labor units to go through it. Labor is not bad, parts are. Special tools are needed to press off the dog teeth and check the ring gear and pinion depth
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Oct 9 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Thank you VERY much for the reply.

Not sure I am ready to attack a 901 tranny - I have the books and can buy the jigs, as to the parts, is there a standard -rebuild kit- that you would recommend rather than take it apart and order what is necessary??

THANK YOU!

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 9 2019, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 8 2019, 08:27 PM) *

I agree, first make sure that the clutch pedal is at the complete top of its travel and that you only have 1/2 inch of play before it gets hard to push, and that there is no first reverse grind at a complete stop. If all of that is good, it is the transmission, second gear in a down shift grinding is usually the first to wear out. If you cannot stand it, new sliders, syncros and dog teeth will solve it. Any shop will charge ten labor units to go through it. Labor is not bad, parts are. Special tools are needed to press off the dog teeth and check the ring gear and pinion depth

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:31 PM