Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things that go "CLUNK" in the night, Need help with a (non)starting issue
poorsche914
post Oct 11 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #1

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

Recently brought home a '73 2.0 that has sat for 3-1/2 years. This is truly a case of "ran when parked" as I saw it running back then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I swapped the old carb for a new one, installed a battery, and turned the key to start. All I got was a "CLUNK" and the voltmeter needle bottomed out. Tried jumping it and same result.

1. The engine turns when rocked back and forth in 5th gear
2. Starter "whirrrrs" when posts are jumped
3. Traded starter and (+) battery cable from my running 914 (same "CLUNK" result)
4. Cleaned up ground connections on transmission ground
5. Tried a brand new battery... same results

What should I be checking that I have missed?
Car has a 914-6 ignition switch. When turned to START position, it does not auto-return to ON position - has to be done manually. Could the issue be in the ignition switch?
I have a voltmeter (somewhere) Guess I need to find it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AmjadY
post Oct 11 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,417
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had a similar problem for a while...turned out there was a loose connection on the relay board wiring (engine compartment opposite side of the battery). Pushing all the wire connectors done firmly would fix the problem.. Only difference for me was that the voltage meter would not bottom out as you described...that sounds more like a starter issue....but what do I know...

good luck

let us know when you figure it out please.

Jed
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 11 2019, 06:06 PM
Post #3

T4 Supercharged

Well... just did a bit more testing and it doesn't look good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The motor does "rock" but I decided to test a bit further... only moves from just past #1 to 180* opposite just past #3 when looking at distributor. Like hitting a wall at those two points (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Anything to look for short of engine removal and tear down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

EDIT: after talking to a friend who has more experience with these engines than I... thinking it could be rusted valve train, or a rusted or broken valve. Plan to dig into it tomorrow afternoon.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 11 2019, 07:34 PM
Post #4

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 11 2019, 08:06 PM) *

Well... just did a bit more testing and it doesn't look good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The motor does "rock" but I decided to test a bit further... only moves from just past #1 to 180* opposite just past #3 when looking at distributor. Like hitting a wall at those two points (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Anything to look for short of engine removal and tear down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

EDIT: after talking to a friend who has more experience with these engines than I... thinking it could be rusted valve train, or a rusted or broken valve. Plan to dig into it tomorrow afternoon.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I bought an engine which sat outside and took in a lot of water. When I drained the oil about a gallon of water came out first. The engine was frozen. I pulled the plugs sprayed all 4 cylinders with oil, penetrating oil, WD40. Tried to turn the engine with the alternator pulley. Only moved a tiny bit. More oil in the chambers, rocked back and forth and it moved a little bit more.

Kept doing this for an hour or so until I could turn the engine complete revolutions. Cleaned the engine up, got it running, put in the car and driven for 3 years till I replaced it with a 2056.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 11 2019, 07:50 PM
Post #5

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 11 2019, 09:34 PM) *
I bought an engine which sat outside and took in a lot of water. When I drained the oil about a gallon of water came out first. The engine was frozen. I pulled the plugs sprayed all 4 cylinders with oil, penetrating oil, WD40. Tried to turn the engine with the alternator pulley. Only moved a tiny bit. More oil in the chambers, rocked back and forth and it moved a little bit more.

Kept doing this for an hour or so until I could turn the engine complete revolutions. Cleaned the engine up, got it running, put in the car and driven for 3 years till I replaced it with a 2056.

Thanks for that, Spoke. Hoping mine will clear up that easily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 12 2019, 01:37 PM
Post #6

T4 Supercharged

Well, the good news is... the engine now turns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Bad news is... there was a LOT of water in the oil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

As much as I want to throw some oil in it and fire it up, I am leaning towards getting a borescope and checking out the condition of the cylinders first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:08 AM