Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions for the Collective
TargaToy
post Oct 15 2019, 10:08 AM
Post #21

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 13 2019, 08:18 AM) *

...but remember, perfection is the enemy of good. These cars are great drivers so don't get so caught up that you don't get it back on the road and have some fun.

My gosh, Mark. I've been mulling this quote of yours over and over ever since I read it. What an excellent piece of wisdom. This quest for perfection has kept me stunted on my own build way longer than it should have. It's actually a bit liberating to put things back in perspective and realize that a GOOD car, with some flaws and grime, will be way better and more fun than a car on jack stands moving glacially towards some end goal of a full or perfect resto.

Thanks, man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RMGaiss
post Oct 15 2019, 01:20 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 887
Region Association: South East States

Based on what I've seen, I'd say go for it. Your time and labor are your own, and you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. There is a lot of good information on this forum. And there's You-tube. You can learn a lot watching other people do stuff. Just my opinion.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 15 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Also in the "just do it" camp.

My restoration took over three years. the money spent was spread over that time. I am probably upside down on it, but I didn't build it for the next guy. or to sell.

Its not perfect, but its damn nice. and there will probably always be something else I may want to do, or change. That's part of the fun.

And I love driving it.

You will learn a lot by doing it yourself. There is pride in saying you did it yourself. If you just wanted to drive one you wouldn't have bought this one anyways. and I see another Porsche in your garage. Drive it while you work on this one.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, This group is very helpful. and many of us have done it wrong once also.

Good Luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Oct 15 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Again, thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments and encouragement.

I did go through all the measurements I could, and the car is very straight and square. And where I am confident I measured the exact dimension, the car matches the specs within a 1/16 inch (except for the rear trunk length measurement, but the back panel is visibly pushed in a bit).

The shell is now completely stripped, except for suspension and steering. I have a line on a rotisserie, and if that works out, I will get the shell mounted before starting some paint stripping and rust repair. (And the doors will come off, once I fab some braces.)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Oct 15 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

One more fun surprise: when pulling the fuel evap hoses, I found a fair amount of oil in one.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 15 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #26

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 15 2019, 10:31 PM) *

the car matches the specs within a 1/16 inch (except for the rear trunk length measurement, but the back panel is visibly pushed in a bit).

The back panel was pushed in a bit on one of my cars as well. Seems like a common result from a low speed rear hit since the bumpers really didn't...bump. Mine needed to be pulled on a bench. Def recommend getting everything straightened before going too deep. Otherwise, have at it!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 15 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 15 2019, 08:34 PM) *

One more fun surprise: when pulling the fuel evap hoses, I found a fair amount of oil in one.

I wonder if someone mistakenly hooked up the evap hose to the oil breather. That's gross!

Also, I'll pass along the same great advice I got when I started my project. Brace the door openings before starting any rust repair and get all the repairs on the structural members done before putting it on the rotisserie. It's best to repair longs and hell hole with the car level and well supported. It doesn't sound like you have any major structural issues to repair, but make sure before hanging it on a rotisserie.

I'm excited to watch this build! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 16 2019, 05:00 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Now get to work - you basically have it torn down already!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Oct 16 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

[/quote]

Also, I'll pass along the same great advice I got when I started my project. Brace the door openings before starting any rust repair and get all the repairs on the structural members done before putting it on the rotisserie. It's best to repair longs and hell hole with the car level and well supported. It doesn't sound like you have any major structural issues to repair, but make sure before hanging it on a rotisserie.

I'm excited to watch this build! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
[/quote]

Thanks--that's my plan.

Now to start a rebuild thread.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 16 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #30

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Oct 15 2019, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 15 2019, 10:31 PM) *

the car matches the specs within a 1/16 inch (except for the rear trunk length measurement, but the back panel is visibly pushed in a bit).

The back panel was pushed in a bit on one of my cars as well. Seems like a common result from a low speed rear hit since the bumpers really didn't...bump. Mine needed to be pulled on a bench. Def recommend getting everything straightened before going too deep. Otherwise, have at it!

The rear trunk would not open on the '70 model I purchased in 2017. In it were various parts shipped with car by seller. I was like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) How did that latch fail between NC & CA. I discovered that the rear panel was pushed in maybe 1/2" which resulted in the lock mechanism not making contact when rotated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) The car was not running when purchased and needed to be loaded by hand. I'm sure someone pressed in the rear panel when it was loaded. After removing the lid via the "long multiple 3/8" extensions" I was able to gently pull that panel 1/2" rearward with just my hands with very little effort. That area does not resist inward pressure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 16 2019, 09:00 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Nice to see you over here, and it's hard to beat a matching numbers 1973 914 2.0 when it comes to the four-cylinder cars. If that car measures out right, it sure looks like it's worth saving to me. I'd target getting the body really right, and then putting it back together with most of the same parts it came with as a "nice driver"—you can always chip away at various parts of the car as a fun project over the years to come so long as the basic chassis and paint are right.

And a 914 is a VERY enjoyable car to drive and work on in small chunks. It's usually the bodywork and then "need" to make everything else as nice that keeps good cars off the road for years. Ask me how I know… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:21 PM