Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine dies but restarts after 2 minutes, Help please! Only a couple weeks left to drive in MN
SteveL
post Oct 16 2019, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 991
Region Association: None

74 1.8 with L-Jet. Starts and runs perfect for a while.
After driving or running for anywhere between 5-20 minutes, the engine loses all power, but still sounds like it is running for about 20 seconds, then dies completely. While it still sounds like it is running, I can put the pedal to the floor and it makes no difference. If I try to start it right away, it will not start. Every time so far, after I wait a couple of minutes it will restart and run like nothing happened for a few more minutes, then die again.
I have replaced the dual relay with a known good.
I think the next suspect is the fuel pump. I see a T fitting in the driver side fuel rail that is plugged by a bolt. Is that where I would connect a fuel pressure test gauge?
Is that the best next step to check?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 16 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SteveL @ Oct 16 2019, 01:27 PM) *

I think the next suspect is the fuel pump. I see a T fitting in the driver side fuel rail that is plugged by a bolt. Is that where I would connect a fuel pressure test gauge?

Yes that is where you would hook up a fuel pressure gauge.

Suspecting the Fuel pump is a good next step.
You can also hook up a test light to the fuel pump circuit to see if the pump is getting power or not.

If I am remembering the L-jet system correctly, with the key on but engine off, pushing the flap open in the AFM should make the fuel pump run. You can check for power and pressure in a single test.

Jim
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 16 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

excellent advice, the only other thing is if the flap is sticking it would die then the flap would unstick and one could just drive off, especially if it sort of runs like it is running out of gas, it would be sort of flooding out

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 16 2019, 02:24 PM) *

You can also hook up a test light to the fuel pump circuit to see if the pump is getting power or not.

If I am remembering the L-jet system correctly, with the key on but engine off, pushing the flap open in the AFM should make the fuel pump run. You can check for power and pressure in a single test.

Jim

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Oct 16 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 16 2019, 01:24 PM) *

Jim

I need to go buy a fuel pressure test gauge. That port on the fuel rail is tiny. I assume that I will need a special adapter. Any chance anyone knows what adapter is needed?

Thanks
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 16 2019, 06:30 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Check your fuel pressure.
I tape a pressure gauge to my back window, so I can see it out of my RV mirror and watch it for when the issue happens.
60 psi gauge (HF, etc), length of 5/16" FI hose, 2 FI clamps and yes the one injection rail has a test port. Don't lose the little screw, once the job is done I take it back off.

I had a 914 that would collapse the under tank large fuel hose and die after 20 minutes highway driving. Found and fixed it with a gauge reading.
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Oct 16 2019, 07:03 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 16 2019, 04:30 PM) *

I tape a pressure gauge to my back window, so I can see it out of my RV mirror and watch it for when the issue happens.
60 psi gauge (HF, etc), length of 5/16" FI hose, 2 FI clamps and yes the one injection rail has a test port. Don't lose the little screw, once the job is done I take it back off.

I had a 914 that would collapse the under tank large fuel hose and die after 20 minutes highway driving. Found and fixed it with a gauge reading.

Do I just clamp the 5/16" hose onto the fuel rail "T" stub? or do I get a connector that threads in where the little screw is?

Thanks
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 16 2019, 11:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SteveL @ Oct 16 2019, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 16 2019, 04:30 PM) *

Do I just clamp the 5/16" hose onto the fuel rail "T" stub? or do I get a connector that threads in where the little screw is?

Thanks

Yes, you remove the screw and clamp the hose on the stub. Be sure to use quality FI hose and FI hose clamps.

Jim
+Quote Post
Triaddave
post Oct 19 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,478

KISS,
(keep it simple stupid) Is it a vapor lock issue? Relocate the fuel pump? The wife's car did the same thing, by the way, The water in the fuel doesn't burn off.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 19 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2019, 10:27 AM) *

excellent advice, the only other thing is if the flap is sticking it would die then the flap would unstick and one could just drive off, especially if it sort of runs like it is running out of gas, it would be sort of flooding out

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 16 2019, 02:24 PM) *

Jim

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the George ,the flap can stick and leave you with no feedback to fuel requirement @ a given throttle position ,it needs to be free moving and snap closed quickly on the quadrant spring,posted recently about this and think the backfire story is a myth,mine has a vent disc and is sticking,the air flap is not a part easily bent,IMO its just wear as the air gate rubs on the lower cover plate when worn.
A guy on the bird has opened one up and proved that...good reading.
By all means check fuel pump function and check for a bad coil that is breaking down also.
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Oct 19 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #10

[/quote]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the George ,the flap can stick and leave you with no feedback to fuel requirement @ a given throttle position ,it needs to be free moving and snap closed quickly on the quadrant spring,posted recently about this and think the backfire story is a myth,mine has a vent disc and is sticking,the air flap is not a part easily bent,IMO its just wear as the air gate rubs on the lower cover plate when worn.
By all means check fuel pump function and check for a bad coil that is breaking down also.
[/quote]

Thank you for the guidance, it is greatly appreciated. When it dies, I will be driving along at 1-2k rpm, so the flap would not be closed. And, even if the flap was closed, the car would still idle, correct?
I hadn't considered the coil. Do coils fail in an intermittent fashion like this? If so, I see RockAuto has an NGK coil for about $15, so easy to just replace in case (or do I need a Bosch blue coil at like $65?).
Thanks again.
+Quote Post
potomacmidget
post Oct 20 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #11

I gotta have more cowbell....

Member No.: 12,860
Region Association: North East States

[quote name='SteveL' date='Oct 20 2019, 12:16 AM' post='2755838']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thank you for the guidance, it is greatly appreciated. When it dies, I will be driving along at 1-2k rpm, so the flap would not be closed. And, even if the flap was closed, the car would still idle, correct?
I hadn't considered the coil. Do coils fail in an intermittent fashion like this? If so, I see RockAuto has an NGK coil for about $15, so easy to just replace in case (or do I need a Bosch blue coil at like $65?).
Thanks again.
[/quote]

Hi. I experienced a similar issue with my 71 D-JET. Installed new fuel filter, new blue coil , checked timing again (as I had physically pulled the distributor to work on it) and no resolution. Inspected my points and found gap/dwell way off. Gap had slipped and was almost nonexistent. Car would start, run great for 20 minutes and die. I think gap would completely close off with hot dizzy. I reset the points and checked dwell and my issue went away. Of course I should have started at the points....
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Oct 20 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #12

Hi. I experienced a similar issue with my 71 D-JET. Installed new fuel filter, new blue coil , checked timing again (as I had physically pulled the distributor to work on it) and no resolution. Inspected my points and found gap/dwell way off. Gap had slipped and was almost nonexistent. Car would start, run great for 20 minutes and die. I think gap would completely close off with hot dizzy. I reset the points and checked dwell and my issue went away. Of course I should have started at the points....

Running an Ignitor, been in there for, oh crap, 20 years? so it can't be the points.
Consensus seems to be: Hook up fuel pressure gauge to test port and watch it when it dies, replace coil, replace fuel filter.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 20 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

If the coil windings are failing it will generally break down after a period of running due to heat (resistance) ,not that common but it happens,buy a VW Bosch coil because they handle the heat from an aircooled motor,the Bosch ''blue" is a good choice and not expensive.
The reply is valid about points,I haven't used them for years however (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .
Make sure have good plug leads ,as old ones can cause the issue you have also ,don't forget to check fuel supply also ,good luck
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Oct 22 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #14

Please educate me about ignition coils.
Did a couple of searches, and there seems to be multiple different part numbers for coils, even for Bosch coils, that are listed for our cars. I must admit that the electrical side is not my strong suit. Will any coil work if it is a certain ohm? What is the "right" coil?
Thanks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:31 AM