Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thinking About Waking Up My Sleeping '74 2.0
germaneighter
post Oct 16 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,563

It's not been on the road for 6-7 years except for a week back in early 2016 while doing a clutch replacement on my Boxster. It wasn't running great during that week but it got me to work and back. I suspected the injectors were gunked-up.
I've been saving this car for retirement - restoration project but I'm still a few years out and my energy level coupled with joint pain got me thinking maybe I should just get it running and enjoy driving it while I still can.

My basic plan is:
Drain fuel system
clean injectors
replace fuel & vacuum lines
New plugs and wires
adjust valves
new battery

The ignition is a crane unit - can't remember the specifics. Tires were near new when I first stopped driving it but probably flat spots now.

Any additional suggestions to get it back on the road?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 16 2019, 03:21 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

DO IT
+Quote Post
aharder
post Oct 16 2019, 04:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 16 2019, 04:21 PM) *

DO IT

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 16 2019, 07:29 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Drain the fuel
add a few new gallons
New battery - or charge
disconnect the ignition coil wire and crank over for about a minute
I'd bet it fires right up once you connect the coil back up

check the brakes and drive it down to get the new plugs and wires and what you need.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 17 2019, 07:57 AM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Do it now while you have the energy. Make it so you can drive the car during retirement and enjoy it.

If you like building cars, you can always build another car. Doing your 914 now will only increase your skills down the road.

Zach
+Quote Post
sb914
post Oct 17 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #6

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Great color!
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 17 2019, 09:00 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

I would put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders overnight then turn the car over the next day (with the spark plugs out) then remove the fuel pump relay and air cleaner, make sure the car has a spark and try to fire it up on some spray gas (fire extinguisher on hand!!!!!!!!) keep spraying the gas until the engine runs smoothly. THEN change the oil, clean the strainer basket, drain the gas, look in the tank for cleanliness, put a new fuel filter on and make sure that the fuel pump cycles (if not and it has the initial electric pulse, tap it with a light hammer) then check the fuel pressure and try to fire it up before you take the car apart and do too many things to complicate the process. After you get the car running then try to drive it before doing anything else (assuming the transmission is full) and see what else needs to be done besides a THOROUGH service

QUOTE(german eighter @ Oct 16 2019, 02:18 PM) *

It's not been on the road for 6-7 years except for a week back in early 2016 while doing a clutch replacement on my Boxster. It wasn't running great during that week but it got me to work and back. I suspected the injectors were gunked-up.
I've been saving this car for retirement - restoration project but I'm still a few years out and my energy level coupled with joint pain got me thinking maybe I should just get it running and enjoy driving it while I still can.

My basic plan is:
Drain fuel system
clean injectors
New plugs and wires
adjust valves
new battery

The ignition is a crane unit - can't remember the specifics. Tires were near new when I first stopped driving it but probably flat spots now.

+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 17 2019, 10:47 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I’d use a leaf blower to clean out around the engine too.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 17 2019, 11:00 AM
Post #9

The rubber man

Also, I'm hoping your gas is pre ethanol. If not your fuel lines are suspect. It eats the rubber. I think you may be ok, but I only run clear gas now for that very reason.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Oct 17 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Having done this to a '74 2.0 during this past year I would strongly advise replacing the fuel lines. My guess, if they are original, is they are as hard as rocks and as brittle as glass.

I replaced mine with Tangerine stainless lines and a complete hose set from Auto Atlanta........ worth the peace of mind.......

I will bet that all burned down 914's were the product of these lines failing.

My 2 cents.

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(germaneighter @ Oct 16 2019, 03:18 PM) *

My basic plan is:
Drain fuel system
clean injectors
New plugs and wires
adjust valves
new battery

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Oct 17 2019, 12:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2019, 09:00 AM) *

I would put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders overnight then turn the car over the next day (with the spark plugs out) then remove the fuel pump relay and air cleaner, make sure the car has a spark and try to fire it up on some spray gas (fire extinguisher on hand!!!!!!!!) keep spraying the gas until the engine runs smoothly. THEN change the oil, clean the strainer basket, drain the gas, look in the tank for cleanliness, put a new fuel filter on and make sure that the fuel pump cycles (if not and it has the initial electric pulse, tap it with a light hammer) then check the fuel pressure and try to fire it up before you take the car apart and do too many things to complicate the process. After you get the car running then try to drive it before doing anything else (assuming the transmission is full) and see what else needs to be done besides a THOROUGH service

QUOTE(german eighter @ Oct 16 2019, 02:18 PM) *

My basic plan is:
Drain fuel system
clean injectors
New plugs and wires
adjust valves
new battery

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 17 2019, 01:09 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

getting it running and test driven with the most minimal work you can do is paramount, THEN write your list, as you will know everything wrong with the car by then. That is what we do here with any 914 that comes to our shop not running
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Oct 17 2019, 02:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 107

One last thing to check are BRAKES

All of these excellent recommendations will get it running but you have to Stop it too on that exciting first test run.

Good luck with the reawakening...
+Quote Post
germaneighter
post Oct 17 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,563

Thanks for all the feedback! Very helpful.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 18 2019, 12:17 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

I would carefully check the fuel lines from pump around the system and back to the fuel return,bet the hoses will be suspect,make sure the short hoses on your injectors are ok also.
Replace this hose with the best rated hose you can buy and check/replace FI hose clamps as required.
Run a low clean fuel tank with maybe 5 litres and a full bottle of injector cleaner,had good luck in the pass with this method.
Don't forget to check rubber flexible brake lines as they fail by age and not use...ask me how I know,my car was in dry storage from late 90's on till I bought it in late 2014 all new (?) lines were all perished,be safe ok.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 18 2019, 07:09 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(johnhora @ Oct 17 2019, 03:31 PM) *

One last thing to check are BRAKES

All of these excellent recommendations will get it running but you have to Stop it too on that exciting first test run.

Good luck with the reawakening...

Brakes, brakes, and more brakes and then rear brake adjustment.

Fluid change will be a good indicator of system health. Compared to other cars if the same ear I’ve found Porsche brake systems are MUCH longer lived but not something to assume.

Keep us posted!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 09:15 PM