Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

339 Pages V « < 289 290 291 292 293 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rebuiding Inside-out
bkrantz
post Aug 4 2022, 07:38 PM
Post #5801

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Here's what I ended with, pretty much on target. Tomorrow I will check everything one more time, and then go for a drive.

I would say that doing this alignment is not too hard, but takes time--and the right attitude.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lilchopshop
post Aug 5 2022, 04:53 AM
Post #5802

Member No.: 23,932
Region Association: North East States

@bkrantz , (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Aug 5 2022, 05:22 AM
Post #5803

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks for sharing this process Bob. I know when the time comes I will follow your proceedure and hope I can get close. At least with your guidance I feel a bit more confident.

Never having done it before though I think I will head over to a Porsche authorized alignment shop to have them double check my work.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 5 2022, 06:52 AM
Post #5804

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

A Porsche authorized alignment shop may not get it done for you. You might be better served finding a shop that has been doing suspension and alignments for decades and sees old Porsches on a regular basis.

I just had my car aligned for the 3rd time. I finally feel like they got it right. I went to a 1-man shop where he has been doing suspension and alignments for about 40 years and was recommended by Holleran's Performance. Guy spent almost 4 hours on the car and it drives much nicer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 5 2022, 01:22 PM
Post #5805

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

Nice work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 5 2022, 08:03 PM
Post #5806

914 Guru

Thanks, guys. My original goal was to get a rough alignment done, and then let a shop fine-tune it. But the local shop that has old Porsche experience, including 914s, could not get their wheel-mounted equipment to clear my front fender lips.

This second home effort was a chance to see how precise I could work, and what kind of results are possible. I did get another digital camber gauge to try, and an offer from a friend with other home alignment expertise.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 5 2022, 08:06 PM
Post #5807

914 Guru

I checked the toe measurements and camber (with my old bubble gauge) one more time, then took down the strings. I put the fuel evaporation tank back on, and closed it all up.

I then uploaded a new file to the Megasquirt ECU, since I had too many pops and a few backfires when the engine spun down.

Then time for a drive!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 5 2022, 08:34 PM
Post #5808

914 Guru

While driving I tried the brake pad bedding procedure recommended by PMB: accelerate to 60 mph, brake hard to 10 mph, repeat about 6 times, then drive without braking to cool things down.

A post-drive report:
The brakes are better, but still a bit spongy and not at all "grabby"

The car drives straight, with the steering wheel centered, and no wandering. It responds nicely to steering input, but I have to get used to manual steering again.

I also have to get used to my whopping 125 hp (actually, at the altitude around here, more like 100 hp). Acceleration is, um, leisurely, but steady.

With a new correct angle drive, the speedometer works but seems to read fast. My tires are within 1% of original diameter, so it must be internal to the gauge. No odometer function.

I stopped for gas on the way home. The gauge indicated a bit more than 1/4 tank. I put in 6.5 gallons, and it read about 3/4, so it seems to work.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Aug 5 2022, 11:18 PM
Post #5809

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Get back to work Bob, I noticed a speck of dust on a lower A arm on one of the pictures... we have standards here you know!
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Aug 6 2022, 07:38 AM
Post #5810

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bob, I am impressed with the allignment you did. Maybe I'll just bring my car to you when it is time. If you are worried about the liesurely acceleration, you can always bring it down here to east Texas where we can give it a test drive for both acceleration and handling......lol
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 6 2022, 02:27 PM
Post #5811

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 5 2022, 08:34 PM) *

While driving I tried the brake pad bedding procedure recommended by PMB: accelerate to 60 mph, brake hard to 10 mph, repeat about 6 times, then drive without braking to cool things down.

A post-drive report:

Tough to get all the air out

The car drives straight, with the steering wheel centered, and no wandering. It responds nicely to steering input, but I have to get used to manual steering again.

Are you running stock size tires? I have found 175/65 feel very good, not heavy like larger sizes

I also have to get used to my whopping 125 hp (actually, at the altitude around here, more like 100 hp). Acceleration is, um, leisurely, but steady.

With a new correct angle drive, the speedometer works but seems to read fast. My tires are within 1% of original diameter, so it must be internal to the gauge. No odometer function.

I stopped for gas on the way home. The gauge indicated a bit more than 1/4 tank. I put in 6.5 gallons, and it read about 3/4, so it seems to work.

I have found my gas gauge somewhat inaccurate, gets you in the ball park. Is your low fuel light working?

Great project, thanks for documenting. Now she's going how will you be spending your free time?
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 6 2022, 04:44 PM
Post #5812

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Bob, your alignment will be better than most shops.
If you are happy with it...I'd say drive it for a few thousand miles, recheck and go from there.
Well done Mate!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 6 2022, 07:15 PM
Post #5813

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 6 2022, 04:44 PM) *

Bob, your alignment will be better than most shops.
If you are happy with it...I'd say drive it for a few thousand miles, recheck and go from there.
Well done Mate!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have 6K miles on the string alignment I did on my car. Love how it handles and no sign of uneven tire wear.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 6 2022, 08:07 PM
Post #5814

914 Guru

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 5 2022, 11:18 PM) *

Get back to work Bob, I noticed a speck of dust on a lower A arm on one of the pictures... we have standards here you know!

Hey, Stu, give me a break. First I have to clean off the tiny humming bird poop on the frunk lid (no kidding, a hummer got trapped in my garage last night and left a present).
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 6 2022, 08:09 PM
Post #5815

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 6 2022, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 5 2022, 08:34 PM) *

A post-drive report:

Tough to get all the air out

Are you running stock size tires? I have found 175/65 feel very good, not heavy like larger sizes

I have found my gas gauge somewhat inaccurate, gets you in the ball park. Is your low fuel light working?

Great project, thanks for documenting. Now she's going how will you be spending your free time?

Thanks. I plan to try at least one more round of brake bleeding.

Not sure yet about next. I promised to help my son with a restoration of his choice. We'll see.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 6 2022, 08:11 PM
Post #5816

914 Guru

First Durango cars and coffee for the 914 today. Beautiful weather and a good turnout. And lots of positive comments.

In the cool morning, with the top off, I tested the heat--it works!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 6 2022, 08:13 PM
Post #5817

914 Guru

With my son watching his GPS app, we figured out that the speedometer reads consistently 5 mph too high.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 6 2022, 08:15 PM
Post #5818

914 Guru

When we got home, I saw what looks like condensation inside the temp gauge. Strange, since this has been indoors for the past 3 years and not near water.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 7 2022, 06:02 AM
Post #5819

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

Hate to say it, but this stuff will never go away. I have experienced the same thing with gauges and wondered if a small (tiny) pack of desiccant would help.

And the heat works, something to said for that
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 7 2022, 08:27 AM
Post #5820

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

So awesome. Congrats on your first C&C! The brakes will get firmer with driving. I had the same sponginess after I was sure all air was out and Eric at PMB said that new piston seals in the calipers take a bit to relax. He was right. After about 100 miles or so the system really firmed up. Enjoy your stunning “new” car!
+Quote Post

339 Pages V « < 289 290 291 292 293 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:28 PM