Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2056'ers Running External Oil Cooler, Are you running one?
BeatNavy
post Oct 17 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm several weeks into breaking in a 2056 rebuild I did last winter. Basic specs:

1. 8.6 CR
2. 9950 Raby Cam
3. Len Hoffman built AA 2.0 heads
4. D-Jet
5. 123 Disitributor

I am surprised how challenging it has been to "dial this in" to optimal. I had to dial back the timing to about 26 to eliminate some pre-ignition (even with 89 octane and cooler range spark plugs), but now the engine itself is a blast. At one point I couldn't figure out why my head temps were running above 350 and oil temps hit 270 ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) ) until I finally found the paper towel that got wedged underneath the impeller, upsetting the air flow ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ).

After fixing that fubar, I'm running amazingly cool head temps (e.g., 270 cruising at 60 in 4th gear), but my oil still wants to creep up higher than I'd like. As an example, today I did 20 minutes of spirited driving with ambient temps around 60 and oil was 210+. I am running without the engine lid right now, so I don't know if that's impacting both head and oil temps. I'm also pretty sure cooling flaps are working right, and I hope nothing else is fouling the air flow/cooling.

SO, to my original question: how many of you 2056-'ers are running external oil temps (and what oil temp were you running prior)? I'm going to buy a Setrab oil cooler in any event, as I have a 2.3 waiting for install later this year, but I'm trying to determine if something else is going on with my timing/tuning/oil cooling or if it's not completely unusual for 2056 to need one.

Thanks for any input (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:29 PM