Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why hasn't anybody made.......
914bub
post Nov 7 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

I was wondering why nobody has produced a stainless heat exchanger "kit" for 914's? I don't mean stainless heat exchangers like the ones that pop up now and then that were made in the past. I mean a kit that would use a separate upper and lower plate that would be held together with "cheese head" screws like the other heater system tin for 914's. Since it seems like a lot of the stock non-stainless metal ones are rusting away it would make it so anybody could cut off their old metal, bolt-on the new stainless halves and be set for life. I'm sure the pipes occasionally rust away but I've seen very few that had messed up exhaust pipes. Seems like it's usually the outers that are wasting away.

I'm also curious who made the stainless ones, how long ago and for how long? I'm sure the initial cost of tooling wouldn't be cheap but it seems like with all the messed-up ones floating around somebody could sell tons of them. They'd be a lot cheaper to ship than a complete heat exchanger as well.

@Mikey914 ? Maybe?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 7 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Actually, yes we have been on this for some time. The tooling is a little spendy, I'd look for these to be available end of January. I prefer to have the poo arts in the final stage before we open up the GB.
Yes, and if all goes as plamned these will be quite reasonable.

But this wasn't the big announcement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
But it is of that caliber.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Nov 7 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 7 2019, 06:43 PM) *

Actually, yes we have been on this for some time. The tooling is a little spendy, I'd look for these to be available end of January. I prefer to have the poo arts in the final stage before we open up the GB.
Yes, and if all goes as plamned these will be quite reasonable.

But this wasn't the big announcement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
But it is of that caliber.

Cool! I didn't know you were working on those. Anybody have a history on the complete stainless heat exchangers?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 7 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well you can get brand new four cylinder stainless steel heat exchangers. The price isn't 914 cheap but pretty reasonable for a product that fits and functions as designed by Porsche and should last another 50 years. Plus there are always used ones available for cheap.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 7 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

The idea is that we can make a retrofit, that if yours are good, would be a simple procedure to replace. It also puts us one step closer to making a complete unit. You know me. If I can make it we can drive the costs down. Everyone wins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914bub
post Nov 7 2019, 10:42 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 7 2019, 07:38 PM) *

The idea is that we can make a retrofit, that if yours are good, would be a simple procedure to replace. It also puts us one step closer to making a complete unit. You know me. If I can make it we can drive the costs down. Everyone wins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm super looking forward to them! I didn't know you could still buy new ones but I bet they're super spendy.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Nov 8 2019, 05:49 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,338

I would be first in line for these. I drive all year and have rusted out 2 or 3 sets of shells. My defroster really struggles to keep up with the freezing rain when the HE's are leaking.

I'm a little wary of the SS HE's and their ability to seal well against the copper crush gasket in the heads. They seem thin compared to the wider surface of the stock casting. In my little world a perfect HE would be the stock mild steel tubing, wrapped in SS shells for durability.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 8 2019, 05:55 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If Mark can't do them I can.. It sounds like he is already in it so I will stay out of this pool for now.. We are actually looking at making completely new heat exchangers/headers for the 4cyl guys.. We have the 6 cylinder version nailed..
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Nov 8 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #9

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 8 2019, 06:55 AM) *

We are actually looking at making completely new heat exchangers/headers for the 4cyl guys..

This sounds promising.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 8 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #10

The rubber man

Thanks Ben,
Did get your PM and we will be stocking his exhaust also.

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 8 2019, 11:26 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

at one time the clamshells were made in japan and by someone in northern europe. However what happened is that every one was leery about putting clamshells around the pipes that could have holes in them by now and pass exhaust gasses into the cockpit, killing people. Hence because of sue happy, everyone discontinued them

QUOTE(914bub @ Nov 7 2019, 07:29 PM) *

I was wondering why nobody has produced a stainless heat exchanger "kit" for 914's? I don't mean stainless heat exchangers like the ones that pop up now and then that were made in the past. I mean a kit that would use a separate upper and lower plate that would be held together with "cheese head" screws like the other heater system tin for 914's. Since it seems like a lot of the stock non-stainless metal ones are rusting away it would make it so anybody could cut off their old metal, bolt-on the new stainless halves and be set for life. I'm sure the pipes occasionally rust away but I've seen very few that had messed up exhaust pipes. Seems like it's usually the outers that are wasting away.

I'm also curious who made the stainless ones, how long ago and for how long? I'm sure the initial cost of tooling wouldn't be cheap but it seems like with all the messed-up ones floating around somebody could sell tons of them. They'd be a lot cheaper to ship than a complete heat exchanger as well.

@Mikey914 ? Maybe?

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 8 2019, 11:31 AM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 8 2019, 09:26 AM) *

at one time the clamshells were made in japan and by someone in northern europe. However what happened is that every one was leery about putting clamshells around the pipes that could have holes in them by now and pass exhaust gasses into the cockpit, killing people. Hence because of sue happy, everyone discontinued them

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I can see liability being an issue, any product like that better come with some extra large fine-print to ensure the manufacturer and/or reseller isn't sued out of existence if someone was to put them on rusted out pipes and subsequently dies from the carbon monoxide in the cabin.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 8 2019, 11:37 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 8 2019, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 8 2019, 09:26 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I can see liability being an issue, any product like that better come with some extra large fine-print to ensure the manufacturer and/or reseller isn't sued out of existence if someone was to put them on rusted out pipes and subsequently dies from the carbon monoxide in the cabin.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

That's a great point..
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 8 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #14

The rubber man

SSF was making them before they go bought my Adan’s (I think) .
Anyhow, yes liability is an issue. But that is one of the reasons we do testing, and sometimes you see the 3rd or 4th generation of product by the time the GB is even announced.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 8 2019, 12:48 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

SSI, they are for sale online through multiple sources $1500-$1800..did they get the 2.0 tooling when JP dansk bought em ???
https://www.newparts.com/product/ssi-heat-e...BCABEgLoB_D_BwE
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 8 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #16

The rubber man

I think so.
Good news is we can made for much less and there are some improvements to be made.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:08 PM