Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 914 is not OSHA compliant, Interior engine noise
Superhawk996
post Nov 14 2019, 08:48 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If it's too loud, you're too old . . . as the saying goes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 14 2019, 10:59 AM
Post #22

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I dunno about too loud too old.
I do know I'm only 44 and have lost a good bit of my hearing. I'd like to try and keep whats left.

My cabin got a LOT quieter after I replaced my GT lid with a stock engine lid and rain tray, and also installed the 914rubber engine side sound pad.

You can have a conversation in the car now without shouting. Unfortunately it means I also hear all the other squeaks and rattles in the cabin that I never was able to hear before.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 14 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 14 2019, 11:59 AM) *

I dunno about too loud too old.
I do know I'm only 44 and have lost a good bit of my hearing. I'd like to try and keep whats left.

My cabin got a LOT quieter after I replaced my GT lid with a stock engine lid and rain tray, and also installed the 914rubber engine side sound pad.

You can have a conversation in the car now without shouting. Unfortunately it means I also hear all the other squeaks and rattles in the cabin that I never was able to hear before.

Zach

What? I can't hear you!

Seriously I'm in the same boat w.r.t. hearing loss. Too many years around jet engines, guns, race cars, inside manufacturing plants, loud stereo's, etc.

However, I think we get lost in trying to compare these cars to modern cars. They will never be as quiet nor should they be. The sound of the car and an air cooled engine is part of what the experience is about.

IMHO if you want to have a quiet conversation, get a modern 911 or an even quieter a Buick!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 14 2019, 01:55 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

On a more serious note if you want sound attenuation here is what can be done:

Switch from Leather / Vinyl seats to cloth. You want the accoustic absorption of the cloth.

Switch to thicker carpet pile.
Put shoddy under your floor carpets if you don't want thicker pile.

Put foam or shoddy on ther underside of the dash (on the bare sheetmetal)

Air leakage = sound leakage
Seal any stray holes in the dash and/or rear bulkhead
Make sure your window seals and Targa seals are in good shape and sealing

Put shoddy behind the rear back pad & make sure you have the engine side sound deadner in place too.

Put some sort of headliner (soft, fuzzy, acoustic material) on the underside of the targa.

You could also inset the door panels with cloth / Alcantera materials.

Question is - how much are you willing to do? Even if you did all the suggestions above, it still will never be as quiet as a Lexus for a multitude of reasons.
+Quote Post
Betty
post Nov 15 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #25

Driver

Member No.: 3,255
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(PCH @ Nov 13 2019, 04:23 PM) *

My biggest noise problem is the passenger screaming: " slow down in the corners!".

BWAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaha.......... You too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 15 2019, 09:59 AM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Brand new build..needs a redo? What?
$20
https://www.earplugstore.com/boxes-of-dispo...m-earplugs.html
$400
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headpho...s_700_soapstone

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 15 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

I went from individual K&N filters back to stock plastic air cleaner,noticed a reduction in noise and the advantage of better filtration and ease of tuning the carbs.
I did spend some time fixing the backfire damage on one side of the aircleaner due to blocked pump nozzles and one broken (leaking) air bleed screw.
I'am still running the stock firewall insulation and have added some sound deadening behind the backpad...not too bad until you hit 3K + rpm then it gets a little loud.
+Quote Post
Rikyrat
post Dec 11 2019, 12:34 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 22,844
Region Association: None

Thought I would ring in on this. I am in the midst of cleaning the engine bay, have sandblasted and repainted.

I installed FatMat brand sound insulation, on the firewall, pretty simple.

Then I covered the engine side of the sound mat, with another layer of it. As an aside, when I scrubbed the sound mat, I was surprised to find that it was green, every 914 I have had, this is my third, the mat appeared to be black, probably do to it being filthy.

When I went to put the insulation on the sound mat, I could not get it to adhere, so I used contact cement on it.

Then screwed the mat to the firewall, which I was hesitant to do, but the original pins did not want to hold it in place.

Hopefully this will tone down some of the engine noise, but who cares, if you really don't want to hear it or want to listen to music, wear ear buds.

Also, when I get around to doing the interior, this summer, I am going to do the same thing to the cabin side of the firewall, in addition to doing the floor, before installing new carpet.

Have a nice day
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 02:23 PM