Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone disassembled/restored seat belt receivers
doug_b_928
post Nov 15 2019, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

I did a search but didn't see any posts showing the disassembly/reassembly/restoration of the female seat belt receivers. Mine are pictured below. I've ordered new stickers but would like to replate the screws on the back and the main steel portion (mine were very corroded where they bolt into the car; I put POR15 on them a couple of years ago but I'd rather disassemble, media blast and replate the whole thing). Any advice based on past experience with disassembly/reassembly would be much appreciated (as always).

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 15 2019, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Try including as the person who posted “PRS914-6” I think?

Paul for sure did the reel side. He even sold the ‘PRESS’ stickers for a time. Then, after building one of the nicest conversions ever and selling it, he moved on to wildlife photography. I’m still in touch but I wouldn’t bother him with this. He’s moved on...
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Nov 15 2019, 01:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 107
Region Association: None

Just remove the 4 small screws you see on the backside and the two plastic top/bottom parts can be carefully pried apart.
The screws are small so be easy on the removal so as not to mess up the topside plastic.
Once they are removed it becomes obvious what can be cleaned up and this also lets you replace the "Press" sticker which are available.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 15 2019, 01:16 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have never taken one apart.
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Nov 15 2019, 03:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 107

Mark..
It's really not too bad of disassembly ...nothing springs out at you unless it's broken.
It's not like the shoulder reel belt return units on the later model 914s.
You definitely have to be very careful with these or you will be wearing a long and sharp coil spring.
This unit can be disassembled and cleaned but you just have to keep the coiled spring contained. The belt is held in by a metal rod and can be replaced or removed for cleaning.
Again I stress caution with the spring!
Neither of these jobs are difficult but you just have to take your time and be alert to the design and placement of the parts.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Nov 15 2019, 04:24 PM
Post #6

Thanks, guys. I took one apart and per Jonhora they come apart easily and without drama. I'm investigating heat shrink tubing replacement and, if available, these should restore nicely.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Nov 15 2019, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I know the OP is talking about the receivers but there has been mention of the retracting part as well.

I took two of them somewhat apart recently - but I did NOT take the cover (the thinner of the two) that houses the coil spring off.

Instead, I fully extended the belt and then pushed the webbing back thru the metal bar where it is held by another bar that runs through a pocket in the belt. Slide the bar out but be mindful that the bar will spin (quickly) if released.

I put a screwdriver in the slot that kept the retractor in this position while I put the belt in a bucket of Woolite-water and washed 'em out and hung them out to dry.

While they were drying, I took the screwdriver through the slot and advanced the rod to the point where it wouldn't go any more and then backed off a half-turn. It did seem to add significantly to the amount of tension in the retraction action.

I did add a small amount of silicone lube to where the bar spins and then put the belt back through the slot, securing it with the pin. It retracted quite well and I'll be putting them back in the car in a couple of weeks. I'll report back....probably in a separate thread.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 15 2019, 07:04 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I do have you covered on the PRESS stickers
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/s...elt-press-decal

$2.99
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Nov 16 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #9

@Mikey914 Mark, I didn't know that you carry the stickers or I'd have asked you to put them in with my visors (still in transit). Mine are from Pelican (I believe made by Carbone). They look nice to me but I've since been made aware that they are not a perfect reproduction because the 'R' is incorrect (see pic below the sticker next to the original). The image on your website also looks the same. If possible, it might be a good idea for you to change the R and not only have the best price but also the most correct replacement.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 16 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Nov 16 2019, 12:36 PM) *

@Mikey914 Mark, I didn't know that you carry the stickers or I'd have asked you to put them in with my visors (still in transit). Mine are from Pelican (I believe made by Carbone). They look nice to me but I've since been made aware that they are not a perfect reproduction because the 'R' is incorrect (see pic below the sticker next to the original). The image on your website also looks the same. If possible, it might be a good idea for you to change the R and not only have the best price but also the most correct replacement.

Now what kind of anal retentive a-hole would even notice such a thing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Nov 16 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #11

I'm Canadian but I'll plead the 5th anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
bahnzai
post Nov 16 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,509
Region Association: South East States

Oh man! This little exchange made me laugh my butt off...
Thanks for keeping it real (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 16 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #13

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 16 2019, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Nov 16 2019, 12:36 PM) *

Now what kind of anal retentive a-hole would even notice such a thing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

What kind of a hole would not catch this before production.

Hey every order gong out will get free seat belt PRESS stickers!
+Quote Post
worn
post Nov 16 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #14

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah, but the Ss look pretty good.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Dec 7 2019, 10:27 PM
Post #15

I finally had some time to complete the restoration on the seat belt receivers. Replated the steel bases and screws, repaired and cleaned the wires as well as the connector, new 4-1 heat shrink, new stickers, and SEM plastic paint. I'm really pleased with the result. I wish the retractable part would be this easy...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Dec 7 2019, 10:34 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 20,561

^^^^Nice.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Dec 8 2019, 08:46 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 21,628

I'm re-installing my retractors today and I'm hopeful they'll be improved. I didn't take them apart but did pull the belts all the way out and removed and washed them. I shot some penetrating lube in both sides of the axle and then re-wound it to maximum (til it stops) and then backed off half a turn. Cleaned up the other external hardware, re-installed the belt and I think i'm good to go. Lots o dirt comes off those belts even when they look clean.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Dec 8 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #18

@90quattrocoupe Thanks, I'm really happy with them.
@Flacaproductions Even with your description, I'm kind of at a loss of where to begin with these retractors.

Attached Image

My understanding is that the webbing should be replaced at this point due to age. This is one job where I wish there was a complete one-stop-shop for a like new restoration (including correct labels).
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 8 2019, 10:24 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Dec 8 2019, 08:18 AM) *

@90quattrocoupe Thanks, I'm really happy with them.
@Flacaproductions Even with your description, I'm kind of at a loss of where to begin with these retractors.

Attached Image

My understanding is that the webbing should be replaced at this point due to age. This is one job where I wish there was a complete one-stop-shop for a like new restoration (including correct labels).

+1 we have three sets waiting to be restored...
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 8 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Dec 7 2019, 08:27 PM) *

I finally had some time to complete the restoration on the seat belt receivers. Replated the steel bases and screws, repaired and cleaned the wires as well as the connector, new 4-1 heat shrink, new stickers, and SEM plastic paint. I'm really pleased with the result. I wish the retractable part would be this easy...

Attached Image

Looks good. Where did you get the 4-1 heat shrink?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:57 AM