Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Pump Wire, Ground?
ClayPerrine
post Nov 26 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #21

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 25 2019, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 19 2019, 03:07 PM) *

When I moved the fuel pump on Betty's car to the front years ago, I put some time into it and made it what I considered right.

The black/red wire comes from the relay board through the harness and over to the original location of the fuel pump. I pulled the wire back to the point where the harness turns to go up the tunnel, and routed it through there, following the factory harness. It made it to the heater control lever. I then spliced in a new section of black/red wire to extend it. I followed the harness past the pedals and up to the fuse block. At that point, I added a brown wire of the same gauge as the black/red wire and hooked it to the ground point above the fuse box. I then continued to follow the harness toward the front of the car, through the rubber grommet and down under the tank. I ran it across under the tank to the fuel pump, and put the factory plug back on the end of both wires.

It was a lot of work for just a fuel pump relocation, but it looks like it was installed that way from the factory.

Clay

Clay, I have been thinking about what you wrote. It seems like a good way to do it, but how on earth did you get the wire through the snorkel?

Peter

Pull the harness out of the engine shelf and bend it until it is as horizontal as possible. You may have to disconnect the harness at the relay board and the ground point next to it to get enough slack.

Take a piece of aluminum thick gauge solid wire, spray it with silicone and feed it through the snorkel until it comes out in the passenger compartment. Make a loop in the end of the aluminum wire, put the black/red wire in the loop and pinch it closed. Use electrical tape sparingly to streamline the junction. Spray the junction and the black/red wire with silicone spray and pull on the end of the aluminum wire.

That should get the wire through into the passenger compartment. I use that same technique on most harnesses when I need to add a circuit.

You can us steel wire, and that will let you use a smaller gauge wire.

Good luck!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Dec 3 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

Got it!
Thanks Clay.
It turned out not to be as bad as I feared.

Peter
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Dec 5 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

One more question. Is the ground point at the fuse block a bolt or a stud? I see a captive nut there near where I think the ground should be, if that is it anyone know the thread details?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 6 2019, 07:30 AM
Post #24

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Dec 5 2019, 07:57 PM) *

One more question. Is the ground point at the fuse block a bolt or a stud? I see a captive nut there near where I think the ground should be, if that is it anyone know the thread details?

It is a stud. It is located on the inside of the mounting bracket for the fuse box.

You should see a bunch of brown wires under the nut.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:37 PM