Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Headlights., Does anyone here have any experience with these?
mepstein
post Nov 28 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 28 2019, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 27 2019, 10:38 PM) *

DOT stipulates that a certain percentage shine upwards to light up street signs and overhead directionals. DO NOT put bright bulbs in a DOT housing -- E-code H4 ONLY.

This makes sense. I hadn't researched differences between DOT and E-code yet. Now that I have, it looks like E-code is also a better choice for rural drivers like me because it kicks more light off to the right to light the ditches where big, dark, furry things often jump out from. Looks like the main downside is that if you live in an area that requires inspections, and the inspector wants to find that DOT stamp on your headlight lens, you are out of luck. And then there is the legal liability...

I'm now thinking something like Truck-Lite/GE Nighthawk that are DOT certified as a unit might be the best bet. Too many variables mixing components.

After using them on my 914, I bought my dad a set for his Jeep Wrangler and he loves them. He’s driving similar rural roads in southern NJ where animals constantly jump out onto the road.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 28 2019, 11:44 PM
Post #22

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(abes914 @ Nov 27 2019, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 27 2019, 10:07 AM) *

Thanks everyone! It gives me a lot to think about. I like the 914 Rubber and Vintage Classic because of their community support.
Leaning towards the 914Rubber at the moment. They've received a lot of orders from me so far and I'm not sure I want to break precedent now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have the 914rubber led bulbs and happy with it. I use to daily drive my car and had no issue with it.

914Rubber will have a black friday sale. Might as well wait and see if the LED bulbs will be part of that big sale?

They are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Nov 30 2019, 08:51 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,907
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 28 2019, 09:10 AM) *

I'm now thinking something like Truck-Lite/GE Nighthawk that are DOT certified as a unit might be the best bet.

Trucklite: (no branding)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 30 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #24

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

+1 for 914rubber's lights. They've been in for a year (or is it two) w/o a hitch. A huge improvement over the H-4's that they replaced and easy to install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 30 2019, 11:43 AM
Post #25

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Vintage LEDs in E lens. I picked E because the light has a distinct cut off that doesn't blind others yet a long bright beam. Did a 15 hour all night drive and they performed O So Good.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 30 2019, 12:39 PM
Post #26

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Our latest version allows some adjustment to the angle the lights project allowing to tilt the beam to the right or left. This way you can still light up the area in front of the car, but tilt the “line” down on the side of oncoming traffic.
It is a great improvement. Ours also come with a rubber outer seal to offer up a seal around the “bulb”.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 1 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #27

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Here is 914rubber.com LED VS: H4

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 1 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Those LED ones have a blue tinge or I'am I mistaken,the set I fitted to H4 housing remain white and a hell of a lot brighter but I have the same concern that falcor75 pointed out.
I fitted a set of Hella H4 "clever" lamps to my 944 and always had people flashing me as if I was still in high beam but I wasn't....ended up removing them as it was a PITA,I'am thinking I will have the same issue with the LED's.
Fitment of LED lamp assemblies is not technically legal in my country ,I only fitted them due to having poor night vision.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Dec 1 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Went with the vintage car 4000 model in their h4 lens. Fabulous improvement over stock. Not sure about strict compliance but they do have a distinct cutoff

It does take some trial and error to find a spot to mount the circuit module to the inner structure of the mechanism where it will not foul the motion. Mine is wrap tied in there

If you don’t mind the non traditional look the trucklite are probably easiest.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 08:28 PM