Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> factory pre bent chassis stiffening kit, any one interested?
johnhora
post Nov 30 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 107
Region Association: None

QUOTE(gms @ Nov 29 2019, 06:14 PM) *

That would be awesome if someone would make a proper GT stiffening kit. these rap around the bottom of the longitudinal up to the pinch weld and make the car stronger. the aftermarket kits mostly add weight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The preformed type would be great!.....The current available flat ones are such a pain to form...

Definitely interested in this...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 30 2019, 03:15 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

…funny on the timing of this.

Am just final-proofing an article in which Roland Kussmaul mentions that these braces and one more mod was enough to make the 914 a really great platform for racing—the better platform, actually.

My question for those who have done this: So the rear suspension has to come off. What else? And what about rust-proofing the car so modified?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 30 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

just the two rear swing arms.

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 30 2019, 02:15 PM) *

Am just final-proofing an article in which Roland Kussmaul mentions that these braces and one more mod was enough to make the 914 a really great platform for racing—the better platform, actually.

My question for those who have done this: So the rear suspension has to come off. What else? And what about rust-proofing the car so modified?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 30 2019, 04:09 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 30 2019, 04:15 PM) *

If you haven't removed your 914-4 engine mounts, it's a good time to do it.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 30 2019, 04:12 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

yes for six conversion and then as you remove them carefully you can sell the used ones especially the right one to a poor soul with a rusted engine mount

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 30 2019, 03:09 PM) *

If you haven't removed your 914-4 engine mounts, it's a good time to do it.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 30 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #26

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

It's not any easy job...it's "easy" in the context that the parts fit like they should. It would be a job that any advanced DIY'er could do, if you're not then it would be best left to a pro.

Of course it has to be welded to a sound chassis, but the rust issue is why I suggested galvalume steel like RD uses. You could mask the inner holes and edges and use epoxy primer on the underside. Then it has to be plug welded, Epoxy primed, then seam sealed and painted. Since it's the greasy side the finish doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 1 2019, 12:31 AM
Post #27

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

racing parts are just ..here today gone tomorrow....1970......
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 1 2019, 12:38 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 30 2019, 05:35 PM) *

It's not any easy job...it's "easy" in the context that the parts fit like they should. It would be a job that any advanced DIY'er could do, if you're not then it would be best left to a pro.

Of course it has to be welded to a sound chassis, but the rust issue is why I suggested galvalume steel like RD uses. You could mask the inner holes and edges and use epoxy primer on the underside. Then it has to be plug welded, Epoxy primed, then seam sealed and painted. Since it's the greasy side the finish doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.

Not sure where I fall on the DIY scale, though I've been through most of my 914 and done a lot of the work on the car over the last 30 years. But welding, like major engine work or bodywork, is something I haven't played with—so I'd probably have this done. (And this chapter of life isn't conducive to DIY anyway…)

But, having more than doubled the power of my 914 a few years ago, to roughly 200, this kit is indeed interesting to me—all the more after reading Kussmaul's comments. Even if the factory-style stiffening kit went on a shelf for the right time, I suspect it's one of those few 914 parts you are unlikely to lose money on, or lose much money on.

Guessing there are others like me, also. I'd even be interested in a pre order if RD is involved, depending on what the price might be. Which I am sure is a bit chicken-egg for them, too. $30,000-$45,000 for the tooling is a big outlay, and we are lucky to have businesses that are even considering those kinds of products for the 914.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 1 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #29

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Pete we are very lucky

I guess I need to subscribe to 000 to get the info on the chassis stiffening. And by design the 914 chassis if treated the same should have been superior to the 911 of the time.

Minor profits looks like the price of $500 would be short. But I can be hopeful, I am down for a pre-order also if RD is in the picture.

I would also like to see the other modification, and see if it can be a package deal.

getting ahead of myself now.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 2 2019, 12:13 AM
Post #30

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We already make the flat ones George, I could finish up the tooling for another 5-6k to form these. We sell plenty of the flat ones as those that use them are doing the work themselves, but I'm happy to work with you George if you already have these made up inexpensively.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 2 2019, 02:21 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 1 2019, 03:43 PM) *

Pete we are very lucky

I guess I need to subscribe to 000 to get the info on the chassis stiffening. And by design the 914 chassis if treated the same should have been superior to the 911 of the time.

Minor profits looks like the price of $500 would be short. But I can be hopeful, I am down for a pre-order also if RD is in the picture.

I would also like to see the other modification, and see if it can be a package deal.

getting ahead of myself now.

^ We really are.

As to the bit of chassis info, I am not sure I would subscribe for that, but there is an article in Issue 012 that I feel really would justify a single-issue purchase at $75 for 914 owners. It was a hard story to put together, but it's the first time I have understood the 914's design, and, really, its place in the Porsche story alongside a larger picture. And I've been driving one for 30 years and studying these cars at least that long…

Re: Mikey, George, Peter, et al...I would indeed be interested in buying a set of these if the price is right, even if only to put on a shelf for now...and it sounds like Mikey might have a springboard that avoids the need to spend $30-45k. Pretty neat.

+Quote Post
peteyd
post Dec 2 2019, 07:35 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 1 2019, 10:13 PM) *

We already make the flat ones George, I could finish up the tooling for another 5-6k to form these. We sell plenty of the flat ones as those that use them are doing the work themselves, but I'm happy to work with you George if you already have these made up inexpensively.

I don't know how you propose to stamp these with tooling costs under 10k. To scan and design the tooling is 5k+ alone. Then there is steel costs of over 15k.

I never like to attach numbers to a project before I even look at CAD, but I'm 100% sure that this project is not doable for under 25K.

I don't want to discourage 914rubber or AA on teaming up, or doing these pieces alone, I just want the members here to have a realistic understanding of what tooling costs and the amount of work that goes into making quality parts in North America.

Pete

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 2 2019, 12:41 PM
Post #33

The rubber man

We have been making parts for way to cheap for a long time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post May 21 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #34

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 22 2020, 12:53 AM
Post #35

The rubber man

So far nothing but crickets from George. I'd do these if there's enough interest.
+Quote Post
luft
post May 22 2020, 02:40 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 19,551

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 22 2020, 01:53 AM) *

So far nothing but crickets from George. I'd do these if there's enough interest.

i would be interested.
+Quote Post
911GT2
post May 22 2020, 04:37 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 12,773
Region Association: Europe

Never mind!
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Feb 3 2021, 08:34 PM
Post #38

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 22 2020, 01:53 AM) *

Apparently he's off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Any chance these might make it to production if you have enough pre-order? I'm in for a set...
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Feb 3 2021, 09:29 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 8,476

Thanks George!!!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 4 2021, 06:07 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(johnhora @ Nov 30 2019, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Nov 29 2019, 06:14 PM) *

That would be awesome if someone would make a proper GT stiffening kit. these rap around the bottom of the longitudinal up to the pinch weld and make the car stronger. the aftermarket kits mostly add weight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The preformed type would be great!.....The current available flat ones are such a pain to form...

Definitely interested in this...

we have a "flat" set on order, awaiting delivery. I assume these can be formed reasonably easy, perhaps some heat introduced here and there.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:44 AM