Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Dash Cam recommendations, What not to do after an accident!
fiacra
post Dec 1 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

A recent accident on the freeway made me realize the value of a dashcam. Rearended at high speed traveling at the speed of surrounding traffic. Clearly the fault of the other driver, which he admitted on scene, but then later tried to claim that I had cut in front of him and slammed on my brakes. I had been in that lane for several miles at that time. Nobody stopped, so no witnesses, other than his passenger. Ultimately his insurance company took responsibility, but there were a few days where I had to consider that I might have to pay for both my damages and his, not to mention potential medical costs. Since I own a number of vintage cars I also have always owned a heavy duty pick up truck in case I need to tow one of them. It has come in handy a number of times, and fortunately this was one occasion when I was driving it. A former PG&E truck that I bought at their surplus auction, and it is set up for towing heavy equipment with a strong tow hitch and a super heavy duty bumper. Nonetheless the impact was strong enough to slightly buckle the bed of my truck. Thankfully still drivable and usable and I'll probably take a payout rather than fix it. A few lessons learned: always call the highway patrol and have them respond to write it up no matter how seemingly responsible the other driver is. Take pictures and record conversations on your cell phone (recording conversations in public places is allowed in California). The pictures I took helped convince the adjuster I was telling the truth but I didn't record our conversation. Get to a safe place to exchange information and try not to do it a foot or two away from highway speed traffic. I was in a rush to get to a safer place so I hurried up the process. With hindsight I would have handled this differently, so learn from my mistakes and by all means make other suggestions so everybody can benefit from my stupidity (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . So, this has convinced me I need to put dashcams in all of my cars. I'm going to use any money I get for my damages to pay for them. Anybody out there have dashcams installed in their vehicles? Recommendations? Ones to avoid?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:20 AM