Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Book: Volkswagen Type 4 - 411 and 412, Type 4 History
maf914
post Dec 5 2019, 07:54 AM
Post #1

Not a Guru!

Group: Members
Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

I ran across this future title, June 2020, while searching for a book on the Veloce Publishing website. Thought it might be of interest to 914 Type 4 owners.

Below is the Amazon listing.

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Type-Fina...ooks&sr=1-1

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mountainroads
post Dec 6 2019, 03:42 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for bringing this book to our collective attention. My Dad was a VW squareback guy who got his new cars via European delivery. We'd travel around Europe for the summer and then he'd ship the cars out of Bremen for pickup in Vancouver BC. I got to help him clean off the cosmoline, or whatever the hell it was they coated the car with to protect it while at sea, when it finally got home to Seattle. I didn't realize until later that I was a lucky kid to spend my summer every couple of years like that.

In June 1970, we picked up the newly introduced VW Type 4. It was a 4-speed European model with US-spec seatbelts and glass so it could be imported. The only available car was originally destined for France. Being a WW-II vet, my Dad wasn't too thrilled at first to be driving French-plated car with yellow headlights through Germany, but we never had any problems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That's the car I learned to drive in and I've favored manual transmissions ever since. I thought it handled like a bus, but I wasn't all that picky being I didn't have my own car at the time. I won several bets with skeptical friends when I told them it didn't have a carburetor.

- MR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:10 PM