Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Book: Volkswagen Type 4 - 411 and 412, Type 4 History
maf914
post Dec 5 2019, 07:54 AM
Post #1

Not a Guru!

Group: Members
Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

I ran across this future title, June 2020, while searching for a book on the Veloce Publishing website. Thought it might be of interest to 914 Type 4 owners.

Below is the Amazon listing.

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Type-Fina...ooks&sr=1-1

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post Apr 27 2021, 04:12 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

drove a stick shift 411 variant, south african built car, in perth for a short borrow about 30 years ago. went harder and faster than my type 3 variant. and steered way better.
twin carby 1.7 - no fuel injection if i remember right.

also borrowed and drove a 412 in chicago in late 80s. 4 door. slur matic auto box.
awful.

412s are resolved stylistically (almost), plenty of space - incredible packaging.
virtually none here in australia.
a batch of test 411 cars were brought into aus in late 60s, in the hands of vw cultists if still in fact surviving and a few south african private imports from refugee white farmers/professionals fleeing to a new life in western australa in the 80s mad their way in. interesting cars in some ways, but the last gasp of a VW corporate giant unable to figure out which way to go.

lucky for the 914 the engine was on offer.

sometime in the mid 80s one of the assessment cars, a white VW variant 411 was for sale in melbourne. i checked it out to maybe buy. it was already rusted out to the gills, and it was maybe a little over 15 years old, and that was australia -- where rust happens slowly. even type 3s were not rusting out at that rate. full of injected foam i believe.

i loved my type 3 variant, it could go anywhere and it did, right through the outback where the only other cars i saw were toyota land cruisers. an amazing car and a hard act for VW to top with the type 4.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:00 PM