Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New purchase dilemma....vintage BMW vs newer Porsche
Front yard mechanic
post Dec 12 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Your a Porsche guy follow your heart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hearts.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Dec 12 2019, 08:42 AM
Post #22

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

I don't know how you got yourself into that predicament in the first place.
Buy them both then decide which one you want to keep after next summer.
Are all your cars painted silver?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 12 2019, 10:19 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

definitely the 2002, just need to get a good one not rusted in the rear shock towers and as original as possible. AND hopefully a tii. Those were great cars and still are, THEN bmw replaced in with the 320 which was a big step down
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 12 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Wait - doesn't to come down to your usage pattern?

Around town vs highway trips etc?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 12 2019, 10:58 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

I'd go with the Boxster since it's an S version. They are cheap now but that will change. I'd agree they are kind of like the 914 of the 90's.

You have a teener. Although the 2002 is also period 70's, it's no where near as fun to drive. Sounds like the important stuff has been done.

Keep the teener to work on and tinker.....get the BS to drive and have fun when you want a change.
+Quote Post
jvmarino
post Dec 12 2019, 11:07 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 10,188

QUOTE(john77 @ Dec 11 2019, 05:08 PM) *

Those two cars are so different I'd ask what is it you really want from your next car.

If you want something fast and agile, I'd choose the Boxster.

If you want something you can cruise around in and enjoy leisurely drives, I'd choose the 2002.

The 2002 is pretty agile, but it's no 914. The steering feels heavier and personally I find them a little slow for my taste.

As everyone else has said, the 2002 is the more likely of the two to hold its value and appreciate over time. The market for them was really hot about 5 years ago but it's plateaued in the last couple of years

I recently have gone through a similar predicament. I have multiple vehicles (definitely more than I need), and recently acquired a nearly new Alfa Romeo 4C Spider at a significant discount. I am happy with the purchase, but find myself thinking about other classic cars I have always wanted that I could have bought for less money.

In the end, it comes back to the fact I really didn't want to acquire another classic car and add it to my string of cars that are 40+ years old. I love my older cars, but I do need to worry about things breaking when I go on drives, or concern about rain, etc. causing rust to start. Of course, it is an Alfa Romeo, so there is always a chance for a breakdown (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif), but the car seems to be quite reliable from all I have read from current Owners. So with the newer car (still has factory warranty even), I can have a different experience in a car that embraces the vintage sports car concept, but is almost new.

Jim
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 12 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #27

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Is this for an investment or enjoyment?

Get a 996...or a couple of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not a huge price difference but a big change in driving experience

Attached Image
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Dec 13 2019, 11:37 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,533

Depends on which is more important -- space, top down driving and/or comfort.

I have to agree with the 996 suggestion -- the modern comforts of a Boxster plus the extra space of the 2002, and more oopmh than either.

For looks, I'd go with the 2002 -- the 1st generation water cooled Porsches are blah, and getting blaher by the minute.
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Dec 13 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #29

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329

get the 2002 and then take a ride up my way, I want to see that baby and maybe get a ride? I'll buy the drinks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Always liked those cars but went for a 89 911 as my second car.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Dec 13 2019, 09:25 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd buy neither.
JMHO
Neither car is that special.
Sorry...the truth.
Wait for something different.
+Quote Post
Cal
post Dec 14 2019, 07:13 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 18,138

Thanks for all the great advise and comments. It's interesting the amount of love/hate that folks have towards the Boxster and how similar it was to the 914 from +/-25 years ago. Someone made an interesting comment that is probably true.....the days that you'll want to drive the 914 will be the same days that you want to drive the 2002. The Boxster will offer something completely different and is usable in an alternative way which likely means that you'll get more wheel time in a 914/Boxster combination than you would in a 914/2002 comb.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 14 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #32

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Get an E36 M3, solves all your problems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) and worse case a convertible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Chassis is great, the balance is beyond compare. Loved the one I used to auto-x with for a few years.

In the Boxster line up, nice cars, I prefer the Cayman, fewer of them, better handling.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Dec 14 2019, 11:15 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 21,449

Unless you are a convertible guy - get a Cayman S.

Ditto on "I prefer the Cayman...."

And......

"Playboys drive convertibles. Serious drivers drive coupes." Enzo Ferrari (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

GN

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 14 2019, 11:49 AM) *

Get an E36 M3, solves all your problems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) and worse case a convertible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Chassis is great, the balance is beyond compare. Loved the one I used to auto-x with for a few years.

In the Boxster line up, nice cars, I prefer the Cayman, fewer of them, better handling.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Dec 14 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Concur with comments on the Cayman. The 2002 is slow. Rode around in one in Germany the summer of 1984. My friend bought a 320i that summer, and the 6 was a far nicer car. Boxsters are grest value to dollar right now. I vote Boxster.
I had a few BMWs, by far best was a 1998 M3 sedan.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 14 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I'm biased. I always prefer a classic over a modern car but I'm biased. I had a BMW 520 when I lived overseas. It was a ton of fun and the 2002 is even better yet.

I see people commenting that a 2002 is slow. So is a Boxter, Cayman, or 911 as compared to a Tesla Model S P100D in ludicrous mode . . . so what. The 2002 is just an awesome classic that makes folks smile. If you know how to drive and carry momentum into and out out corners, the 2002 will make most folks soil themselves.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Dec 14 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 20,326

I was prepared to go with the 2002 because of the classic status, appreciation in value and the fact that you don’t see them on the road every few minutes like the Boxster. However, after taking in all that has been said, and digesting it, I am of the opinion that you will have more fun driving the boxster and if you plan on driving this vehicle a bit more than the 914, you will enjoy the modern amenities that it provides. And with 8 k on the odo you will basically have a new car.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 14 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #37

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 14 2019, 12:15 PM) *

And......

"Playboys drive convertibles. Serious drivers drive coupes." Enzo Ferrari (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

GN

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
No wonder I don’t have a Boxster anymore!!! Had to change- so what’s at targa guy? Something in between?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

That said I seldom ever took the hard top off of either one and would get a cayman if I ever sell my Maserati
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Dec 14 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 21,449

Phil -

An F1 is a Targa......so real race cars are Targa's - they do not have a top that goes up and down, but are pretty enclosed but open above the drivers head....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 14 2019, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 14 2019, 12:15 PM) *

And......

GN

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
No wonder I don’t have a Boxster anymore!!! Had to change- so what’s at targa guy? Something in between?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

That said I seldom ever took the hard top off of either one and would get a cayman if I ever sell my Maserati

+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 11 2021, 12:36 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 18,138

Update on this thread.....I ended up purchasing an '08 987.1 base Cayman with 25K miles from a Porsche dealership in St. Louis. It's nicely equipped with a 5-speed manual, 18" S wheels, sport seats....it's an absolute blast to drive and the prices are a bargain right now. Thanks for all the advice from the members here.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Feb 11 2021, 12:47 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 13 2019, 10:25 PM) *

I'd buy neither.
JMHO
Neither car is that special.
Sorry...the truth.
Wait for something different.

Loads of 2002 owners think you are being a bit myopic with that reply, including me.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:17 AM