Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Airflow/Horsepower limit for stock 2.0L intake system?
greggearhead
post Dec 13 2019, 10:12 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,836
Region Association: None

OMG - are you guys even reading my post?

I already have the largest throttle body, largest plenum and largest runners. I asked about if anyone knew the limit of the factory components because I am switching to ITBs. I'm not asking about making an intake manifold, or adapting varioram, or changing the plenum, etc.

I've used ITBs on lots and lots of different engines over the years, and throttle response, when tuned correctly, is usually noticeably much better. I'm not asking about those things.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 13 2019, 10:52 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(greggearhead @ Dec 13 2019, 11:12 AM) *
I asked about if anyone knew the limit of the factory components.

No. No one knows. Everyone that cares about performance goes to Webers IDFs, or Dellorto DRLAs, or dual-choke intakes and EFI.

The stock intake was designed for 100hp. OF COURSE it won't be as good as individual 40mm chokes. Duh.

Install the ITBs and be happy.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 13 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #23

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Are you reading my posts?

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 12 2019, 04:47 PM) *

I run 46mm gxsr bike TB's so a good machinist could cut the top off of existing T4 alunimum weber manifold and weld up a shorty base to adapt a bike TB or the CB performance TBs. It still won't be perfect, but it would work.

edit I'm talking about ITB's here, I think most here would know that.

No one makes a 411/412 shorty intake manifold, so either you do a hack job to your engine hatch and stick ITB's out of the holes or you do the above.
+Quote Post
greggearhead
post Dec 13 2019, 11:58 AM
Post #24

It's a 412! There is no engine hatch!
+Quote Post
greggearhead
post Dec 13 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 13 2019, 11:41 AM) *

I run 46mm gxsr bike TB's so a good machinist could cut the top off of existing T4 alunimum weber manifold and weld up a shorty base to adapt a bike TB or the CB performance TBs. It still won't be perfect, but it would work.

No one makes a 411/412 shorty intake manifold, so either you do a hack job to your engine hatch and stick ITB's out of the holes or you do the above.

Again - did I ask anywhere about fitting ITBs?

No.

Did I ask about what ITBs to use?

No.

Did you see my post where I talked about having used ITBs (in fuel injection and carburetor form) many times over the years?

Apparently not.

Moderators - I'm fine with locking or deleting this thread. There is no good info coming out of it and no good discussion about the topic.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 13 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 13 2019, 01:08 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

I think we're done here.

But while I have everyone else's attention...will the 2L 914 TB fit easily on the bus plenum? You may recall - if you read my friggin post! - that I'm developing a system to fit on my 2L 914 per SCCA Limited Prep regs, which requires use of the stock unmodified throttle body. Everything else is free. So if the 914 2L runners are good, maybe I can adapt that to a better plenum and run from there.

I suppose I could look into modifying anything, or fabricating from scratch. Would much prefer an "easy button".

As a related aside, my 914 does have a decklid over the engine, so no clearance concerns.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Dec 13 2019, 01:20 PM
Post #28

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(greggearhead @ Dec 12 2019, 09:32 AM) *

OK, I did search, and couldn't really find anything.

My basic question - when does the 914 2.0L intake become a restriction to power?

I have a built VW 412 -

2056 cc Type 4
* 9550 RAT cam
* LE-180 heads (914 2L combustion chamber, 42mm intake, 36mm exhaust)
* Mallory Unilite vacuum advance distributor, Mallory Promaster coil, Mallory Hyfire CDI
* Stock 412 heater boxes & Thunderbird exhaust
* 2L Bus plenum and throttle body
* 2L 914 runners
* Ford "Design II" F1TE-D9A (Bosch 0280150947) 24# injectors (modified)
* SDS programmable EFI
* Oil bath air cleaner housing modified to use large circular filter element

I have a pair of IDF manifolds, and some VFR throttle bodies. Roughly equivalent to Weber 40IDFs (maybe a bit better in terms of flow). Engine made 115hp at the wheels. I'm just wondering if the (improved) stock intake is a cork or not?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i61.photobucket.com-12836-1576171976.1.jpg)

From what IIRC the 914 2.0L intake setup flows pretty well until about 130hp. The Bus 2.0L plenum with mods goes past that due to its better flow (sidedraft vs downdraft) according to tests Raby did years ago. Your pic shows the bus setup so you are set.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 13 2019, 01:46 PM
Post #29

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 13 2019, 02:20 PM) *

From what IIRC the 914 2.0L intake setup flows pretty well until about 130hp. The Bus 2.0L plenum with mods goes past that due to its better flow (sidedraft vs downdraft) according to tests Raby did years ago. Your pic shows the bus setup so you are set.

IIRC that was on a 2276cc engine.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 13 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #30

that's what I do!

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 13 2019, 02:08 PM) *

I think we're done here.

But while I have everyone else's attention...will the 2L 914 TB fit easily on the bus plenum? You may recall - if you read my friggin post! - that I'm developing a system to fit on my 2L 914 per SCCA Limited Prep regs, which requires use of the stock unmodified throttle body. Everything else is free. So if the 914 2L runners are good, maybe I can adapt that to a better plenum and run from there.

I suppose I could look into modifying anything, or fabricating from scratch. Would much prefer an "easy button".

As a related aside, my 914 does have a decklid over the engine, so no clearance concerns.

Thanks!

http://www.sdsefi.com/air12.html
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 13 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Nice...that's some clean work right there.
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Dec 13 2019, 06:09 PM
Post #32

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That does look very doable, doesn’t it?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 14 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #33

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 13 2019, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 13 2019, 02:08 PM) *

Greg, I have an SDS ECU if you want a real simple processor for your race car.
I thought the HP rules were for a 1.8L engine, in which case the 2L TB isn't the one you need to use. If you are allowed to use the Bus plenum and 2L runners (requires 2L intake bolt pattern on the heads) I'm sure the 1.8L TB can be fitted to it and altered to include TPS.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 14 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 14 2019, 06:41 AM) *

Just used short T4 Weber pattern manifolds match ported to heads but don't believe they are made anymore,sometimes see these in the FS section.
Attached Image.
They have a PITA outside bolt hole setup that requires much longer manifold studs but are otherwise a good casting.
Attached Image
I think the only real "bottleneck" in this engine would be the exhaust ,dependant whats been done to the exhaust ports a tuned performance header and muffler would certainly help.
Is it true the Vanagon (T25) has an even larger plenum body but the runners are still the same size ?,if so why not use that with a bored out 2L bus TB with larger throttle plate.
By the way Greg "chill out" no need for comments like that

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 14 2019, 04:45 PM
Post #35

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

From my experience the stock set up 2.0 will easily handle the airflow you are talking about, even with larger valves.
If you build a higher reving motor you would have some issues top end, but with you can selection the 2056 would be just fine.

I think since you have the IBTs every one thinks you are going that direction.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 15 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 14 2019, 12:13 PM) *
I thought the HP rules were for a 1.8L engine, in which case the 2L TB isn't the one you need to use. If you are allowed to use the Bus plenum and 2L runners (requires 2L intake bolt pattern on the heads) I'm sure the 1.8L TB can be fitted to it and altered to include TPS.

January Fastrack just came out; they rejected my request to run the 2L engine in H Production Limited Prep, stating it has "too much displacement".

I'm not taking the 1.8L engine into HProd on Limited Prep regs; I just don't think it has a chance there, starting with 76hp versus the 2019 champ's 91hp OHC 3-valve, and the 914 has to weigh 200 pounds more on top of that. Juice ain't worth the squeeze.

I think the killer car in HP now is the 2015 Honda Fit, which start with 130 crank HP and only has to weigh 150# more than the 1.8L 914. And we're going to America's Dyno, Road America, for this years' Runoffs.

I want to develop something for my 2L street car that could be adapted to the 2L race car, ifn' they ever changed their mind about allowing the 2L into HP using Limited Prep regs; to do that requires the 2L TB.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 15 2019, 01:13 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

In so many ways this is why I got out of racing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . . . too many rules that make no sense. Too much politics in making the rules.

If I wan't politics I'll watch the clown shows on the boob tube! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Dec 15 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(greggearhead @ Dec 13 2019, 09:12 AM) *

OMG - are you guys even reading my post?

I already have the largest throttle body, largest plenum and largest runners. I asked about if anyone knew the limit of the factory components because I am switching to ITBs. I'm not asking about making an intake manifold, or adapting varioram, or changing the plenum, etc.

I've used ITBs on lots and lots of different engines over the years, and throttle response, when tuned correctly, is usually noticeably much better. I'm not asking about those things.

I am reading your post, and you dont have the largest throttle body (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

The late vanagon 2.1 throttle body is larger ~50mm

back to your question though, I dont have the sources in front of me but I remember reading at one point that the 1.8 intake flows enough for ~140+ HP. With the bus 2.0 intake being of similar design I would imagine it would be similar flow as long as you have swapped for the larger 914 intake runners. Personally I prefer the 1.8 intake + 50mm Vanagon TB to the bus 2.0+runner swap, basically trade some plenum volume for cleaner intake runner path. Not sure it makes much difference, its just an easier install and I like how it looks.

With a 2056 and 9550 cam I doubt you are giving up anything power wise with that intake setup You would need more exhaust and cam before the intake becomes the limiting factor. Throttle response is another story, ITBs may help there though I found with a LOT of work on the tune my throttle response is pretty damn good. You may loose some low/mid torque along with precision in your throttle control with the ITBs swap so that is something to think about. With 40mm ITBs you will maybe get about 20-25% of your throttle motion in the lower RPM ranges before you are basically WOT. For autocross I prefer having more precise throttle control, but that is just personal preference.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
greggearhead
post Dec 11 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #39

OK, just an update now that this thread has cooled down, lol.

I've got the VFR ITBs mounted, linkage modified and mounted, and using IDF velocity stacks that bolt on with a little filing to the mounting holes and line up very well.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 11 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #40

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Was this car in WA? I recall a car that stopped in I swear was identical.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:39 AM