Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running GREAT and then rough…..hhhhmmmm, engine runs rough at one place in the power band
ctc911ctc
post Dec 13 2019, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

-Update -

I removed the TPS, calibrated it as per instructions on the Bird. Here are some pictures.
I would like to be able to "RING" this out, not sure what I would be looking for. Though we know that one course is to install a new board and then calibrate. There is little else I could find to assure operation. Any experience with asserting these things are good.

Some pics
Attached Image
Attached Image

Any ideas would be great!

-End of Update-

I am a bit befuddled as to which way to go so I decided that the 914W team would like to hear about this puzzle.

Background
'74 2.0, garaged from '84 until 2018, 22K miles
Running since June.
Repaired or replaced:
Entire Fuel System - tank, lines, injectors, pump, pressure reg
Adjusted the valves
Removed and rang-out the engine harness,
Rebuilt the MPS
Rebuilt the Plenum and tested it for leaks - none observed
New gaskets at the plenum and manifold at the engine
Rebuilt Throttle Body, very minor leaks around the actuator (throttle), New circuit card
New Plugs, points, cap and inspected the distributor for all of the regular ailments - super tight.

Engine idles great, pulls like a monster - sounds like a German symphony

HOWEVER
Last night I drove it back from the paint shop on 93 heading south from NH to Boston (lots of beeps from newer Porsches (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) and found that the car started to buck and the engine runs rough when just a small amount of throttle is applied.

More Detail

If you are doing 55 and want to maintain that speed, it is necessary to apply a small amount of gas to sustain the speed. This is when the cars starts to exhibit this "miss/run-rough" puzzle. If more throttle is applied the bucking stops, the engine is smooth and all is well. Conversely, while de-accelerating there is no bucking.

This problem is NOT velocity-dependent, sustaining at 30/40/50/60 will exhibit the same reaction.

WHERE WOULD YOU START TO LOOK IF YOU HAD THIS CHALLENGE?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 13 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

kinda sounds like a TPS issue

the connectors become very brittle
did you calibrate the TPS during rebuild?
maybe check the wiring again to the TPS

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 13 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #3

Excellent idea!

Yes, I did calibrate and cleaned (rebuilt) with a 914Rubber circuit board. I will double check that it is a 2.0 and not a 1.7 and the other errors I have read about.

Thanks Brant! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 13 2019, 11:20 AM) *

the connectors become very brittle
did you calibrate the TPS during rebuild?
maybe check the wiring again to the TPS

+Quote Post
rjames
post Dec 13 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #4

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Verify fuel pressure
Make sure MPS is calibrated for your engine. If it was rebuilt (even if it matches factory stock #s) it likely needs calibration.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 13 2019, 07:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(rjames @ Dec 13 2019, 06:03 PM) *

Verify fuel pressure
Make sure MPS is calibrated for your engine. If it was rebuilt (even if it matches factory stock #s) it likely needs calibration.

Will do thanks!
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Dec 13 2019, 11:42 PM
Post #6

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would start with thoroughly checking the ignition system, as a more likely suspect to eliminate first. Had a similar intermittant problem that was due to points wire pinched under cap... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 13 2019, 11:48 PM
Post #7

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

As a quick check, isn't it possible to disconnect the TPS and run it like that just to see if the bucking stops?
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 14 2019, 08:58 AM
Post #8

Will be checking the throttle switch (TPS) today,
Completely slipped my mind that Pbanders was all over this,

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

Also, there is an over analysis of same at:

https://www.sw-em.com/bosch_d-jetronic_TPS_investigation.htm

Where the writer refers to the symptom as MaC or Miss-at-Cruise

More to come
CTC911CTC

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 14 2019, 12:48 AM) *

As a quick check, isn't it possible to disconnect the TPS and run it like that just to see if the bucking stops?

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 14 2019, 03:21 PM
Post #9

******UPDATE******

Started the car
Disconnected the TPS
Drove the car

The hesitation was MUCH worse, the bucking was about the same.

Disconnecting the TPS made the entire situation worse though the drive was just around the block.

As per PBanders:

Track Wear: Over time, the wiper track for the accelerator function will wear. Wear will be especially high at moderate to light throttle angles, corresponding to part-load cruising. Click here for a link to a 60X photo of accelerator track wear. While this TPS track is still good, the re-deposition of gold worn from the contact fingers by the wiper can be seen, and eventually will become sufficient to bridge the traces. This wear causes arcing and poor contact, resulting in the car "bucking" at a constant throttle angle. "Bucking" is a fairly common complaint and is almost always due to track wear. Check by disconnecting the harness plug to the throttle switch and driving at a constant throttle angle under part-load. If the bucking is gone, it's due to the switch. As I mentioned earlier, if you go to http://www.914world.com/ and search for user "davesprinkle", he's made a kit to replace the worn circuit board that restores your TPS to like-new condition.

I have a new card from 914Rubber in the car and I am pretty certain the card wipers are connecting to the card correctly. I will take a closer look at this tomorrow.

I will also retest tomorrow (too much rain today for a highway check) to make certain that the bucking is gone even though the acceleration is very poor. The barely accelerates until I hold the peddle about 1/2 way for a few seconds and then the engine starts to run strong after a prolonged response to the peddle.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you!

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 13 2019, 11:16 AM) *

I am a bit befuddled as to which way to go so I decided that the 914W team would like to hear about this puzzle.

Background
Running since June.
Repaired or replaced:
Adjusted the valves
Rebuilt the MPS
Rebuilt Throttle Body, very minor leaks around the actuator (throttle), New circuit card
New Plugs, points, cap and inspected the distributor for all of the regular ailments - super tight.

HOWEVER
Last night I drove it back from the paint shop on 93 heading south from NH to Boston (lots of beeps from newer Porsches (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) and found that the car started to buck and the engine runs rough when just a small amount of throttle is applied.

More Detail

If you are doing 55 and want to maintain that speed, it is necessary to apply a small amount of gas to sustain the speed. This is when the cars starts to exhibit this "miss/run-rough" puzzle. If more throttle is applied the bucking stops, the engine is smooth and all is well. Conversely, while de-accelerating there is no bucking.

This problem is NOT velocity-dependent, sustaining at 30/40/50/60 will exhibit the same reaction.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 15 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 14 2019, 04:21 PM) *

******UPDATE******

Started the car
Disconnected the TPS
Drove the car

Disconnecting the TPS made the entire situation worse though the drive was just around the block.

As per PBanders:

Track Wear: Over time, the wiper track for the accelerator function will wear. Wear will be especially high at moderate to light throttle angles, corresponding to part-load cruising. Click here for a link to a 60X photo of accelerator track wear. While this TPS track is still good, the re-deposition of gold worn from the contact fingers by the wiper can be seen, and eventually will become sufficient to bridge the traces. This wear causes arcing and poor contact, resulting in the car "bucking" at a constant throttle angle. "Bucking" is a fairly common complaint and is almost always due to track wear. Check by disconnecting the harness plug to the throttle switch and driving at a constant throttle angle under part-load. If the bucking is gone, it's due to the switch. As I mentioned earlier, if you go to http://www.914world.com/ and search for user "davesprinkle", he's made a kit to replace the worn circuit board that restores your TPS to like-new condition.

I have a new card from 914Rubber in the car and I am pretty certain the card wipers are connecting to the card correctly. I will take a closer look at this tomorrow.

I will also retest tomorrow (too much rain today for a highway check) to make certain that the bucking is gone even though the acceleration is very poor. The barely accelerates until I hold the peddle about 1/2 way for a few seconds and then the engine starts to run strong after a prolonged response to the peddle.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you!

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 13 2019, 11:16 AM) *

Background
Running since June.
Repaired or replaced:
Adjusted the valves
Rebuilt the MPS

HOWEVER

More Detail

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 15 2019, 07:21 PM
Post #11

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Looks like a lot of wear on those traces, to my eye.

Clean them with an eraser and spray the traces with DeOxit spray.

You can test the continuity between each circuit with an ohmmeter to verify that the TPS is doing its job.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 16 2019, 09:57 AM
Post #12

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I've experienced similar symptoms when the MPS was adjusted a bit too lean. At some areas in the fuel map it gets lean enough to cause slight misfire.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 16 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 15 2019, 05:21 PM) *

You can test the continuity between each circuit with an ohmmeter to verify that the TPS is doing its job.

+2 on that board. I'd probably replace it. Also +1 on the MPS... or kinked fuel line.

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 16 2019, 07:31 PM
Post #14

Though the card is new, I might get the 45-year-old card back and put it in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ..........curious how worn the new one looks, even though it only has 60+ miles on it - all of the wipers are scratching at the same rate - does not look too bad with the naked eye.

As to Fuel pressure - would this cause the bucking at maintaining speed but not when accelerating?

I will start the debug list - my next stop after verification of pressure will be ignition.

Thank you Teeners!

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 16 2019, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 15 2019, 05:21 PM) *

+2 on that board. I'd probably replace it. Also +1 on the MPS... or kinked fuel line.

+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 16 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Jerry

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 16 2019, 08:31 PM) *

Though the card is new, I might get the 45-year-old card back and put it in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ..........curious how worn the new one looks, even though it only has 60+ miles on it - all of the wipers are scratching at the same rate - does not look too bad with the naked eye.

You did a test which seemingly exonerates the TPS:

Disconnected the TPS

A main function of the TPS is to give the injectors extra pulses for acceleration so hesitation would be expected.

But w/o the TPS in the circuit, the bucking was about the same. This would seem to eliminate the TPS from being the culprit.
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 17 2019, 09:17 AM
Post #16

914 Wizard

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 16 2019, 09:31 PM) *

Disconnected the TPS

A main function of the TPS is to give the injectors extra pulses for acceleration so hesitation would be expected.

But w/o the TPS in the circuit, the bucking was about the same. This would seem to eliminate the TPS from being the culprit.

I agree.. seems like something else is causing the bucking
I have also always understood that unplugging the TPS would test the trace circuits
and I have experienced this test working on my car.

I would follow Chris' advice.
testing the MPS, the CHT, and wiring loom would be my next move....

was there any work done to the car right before the problem started?
I always like to start sleuthing with the last thing touched
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 17 2019, 01:55 PM
Post #17

What changed right before detecting the bucking? Really nothing.

The car had not been driven since 1986. We got it working but could not drive it since I did not have a clear title - after 6 months of working this, I was able to get the gov here in Mass to provide a title. The first stop was the paint shop, on the way there I took side roads, all stop and go. Since I was not sure as to the car's operation I did the shakedown on side roads, no faster than 35-40.

On the way back I took the Interstate and cruised between 55 and 65. The car ran great until I was trying to maintain a constant speed and then the bucking would start.

Will check next:
grounds
Fuel Pressure
Wiring to the ECU from the TPS (have done this before)
Trigger points and operation
Ignition system (complete)

Last, I found the Tech Tips 700 book very helpful - thank you George!

Thank you Brant!

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 17 2019, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 16 2019, 09:31 PM) *

Disconnected the TPS

I agree.. seems like something else is causing the bucking
I have also always understood that unplugging the TPS would test the trace circuits
and I have experienced this test working on my car.

I would follow Chris' advice.
testing the MPS, the CHT, and wiring loom would be my next move....

was there any work done to the car right before the problem started?
I always like to start sleuthing with the last thing touched

+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 17 2019, 02:12 PM
Post #18

914 Wizard

Over there we 5 years did you flush the tank and replace the lines???

Someone suggested restricted fuel lines or a plugged fuel filter
Those highway miles would require more fuel and hypothetically could highlight a fuel flow (lean) problem
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 17 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #19

Jerry

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 17 2019, 02:55 PM) *

Will check next:
grounds
Fuel Pressure
Wiring to the ECU from the TPS (have done this before)
Trigger points and operation
Ignition system (complete)

Also check the CHT sender.

For overall operation of DJET, you should check the AFR although this requires installing an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. I did this on my 1.8L DJET when I first got it running. Turns out it was running very lean and I had to adjust the MPS.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 17 2019, 02:54 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I got a Jeff Bowsley FI harness. Solve a lot gremlins including bucking.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:03 PM