Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running GREAT and then rough…..hhhhmmmm, engine runs rough at one place in the power band
ctc911ctc
post Dec 17 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Good point Jerry, that CHT caused me a lot of headaches when I first started the engine - swapped it out (it was stone dead) and my richness trouble subsided.

Will check the AFR once I get the bucking sorted.

On to the bucking gremlin!

Thank You!

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 17 2019, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 17 2019, 02:55 PM) *

Will check next:
grounds
Fuel Pressure
Wiring to the ECU from the TPS (have done this before)
Trigger points and operation
Ignition system (complete)

Also check the CHT sender.

For overall operation of DJET, you should check the AFR although this requires installing an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. I did this on my 1.8L DJET when I first got it running. Turns out it was running very lean and I had to adjust the MPS.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 18 2019, 06:15 AM
Post #22

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 16 2019, 10:57 AM) *

I've experienced similar symptoms when the MPS was adjusted a bit too lean. At some areas in the fuel map it gets lean enough to cause slight misfire.

I wrote this precisely because of the bucking you are experiencing.
It is my contention that all you need to do is enrich the MPS setting a small amount to eliminate the misfire which results in bucking during light throttle cruise.
I bet you would also notice an increase in power at WOT.
Easy peasy.

If your MPS is not set up for in situ adjustability you can still open it up to make a change, and reassemble it in half an hour.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 18 2019, 09:39 AM
Post #23

Chris!

The muffler you sold me works and sounds great!

Great advice, I rebuilt the MPS as per your instructions and developed a method of 'relative relationships' to put it back together. Using the H method I was within a few percents of calibration.

I am going to check all of the basics and then PRIOR to going deeper will make this adjustment.

Question - if the ECU adjustment is turned to the RIGHT a click or two would this accomplish the same thing?

Thank You, Tangerine Chris!

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 18 2019, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 16 2019, 10:57 AM) *

I've experienced similar symptoms when the MPS was adjusted a bit too lean. At some areas in the fuel map it gets lean enough to cause slight misfire.

I wrote this precisely because of the bucking you are experiencing.
It is my contention that all you need to do is enrich the MPS setting a small amount to eliminate the misfire which results in bucking during light throttle cruise.
I bet you would also notice an increase in power at WOT.
Easy peasy.

If your MPS is not set up for in situ adjustability you can still open it up to make a change, and reassemble it in half an hour.

+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 18 2019, 10:03 AM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The ECU knob only affects the mixture at idle and not the mixture of the motor under load or at other rpm
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 18 2019, 10:38 AM
Post #25

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 18 2019, 10:39 AM) *

Question - if the ECU adjustment is turned to the RIGHT a click or two would this accomplish the same thing?

Brant is correct. And because the injection pulse is so short at idle the range of the ECU knob is quite narrow. In my experience when the MPS setting is near optimal the effect of the ECU knob will be more noticeable, and idle will be clearly better away from either extreme position.
I suggest that you back out the center screw in the MPS diaphragm by a turn and a half. Record the inductance values for comparison then install it in the car for a test drive.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 18 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #26

Great advice Chris - Will DO!!!!!

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 18 2019, 11:38 AM) *

Brant is correct. And because the injection pulse is so short at idle the range of the ECU knob is quite narrow. In my experience when the MPS setting is near optimal the effect of the ECU knob will be more noticeable, and idle will be clearly better away from either extreme position.
I suggest that you back out the center screw in the MPS diaphragm by a turn and a half. Record the inductance values for comparison then install it in the car for a test drive.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Feb 4 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #27

*************Update**********

The bucking has Stopped! And the car runs great!

Chris,

You were correct, the MPS that I rebuilt must not be calibrated correctly (I used the H version of measurement and adjustment) since I swapped the one I rebuilt and cleaned and looks like new with the one I bought through eBay which is old and ugly but holds vacuum.

The old one installed stops the bucking, so as soon as I get my bench rebuilt I will put the one that I repaired back on the bench and get it tuned correctly.

THANK YOU CHRIS!

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 18 2019, 03:09 PM) *

Great advice Chris - Will DO!!!!!

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 18 2019, 11:38 AM) *

+Quote Post
rjames
post Feb 4 2020, 02:33 PM
Post #28

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Glad you got it running well again!

And no disrespect to Chris, but I suggested that the MPS needed calibration several posts earlier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Feb 4 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #29

OOOooooopppppsss,

Sorry!

My mistake (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 4 2020, 03:33 PM) *

Glad you got it running well again!

And no disrespect to Chris, but I suggested that the MPS needed calibration several posts earlier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Oct 2 2021, 10:27 AM
Post #30

UPDATE!

Bucking is back - very slight - I am going to adjust the MPS again as I had within this thread.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:20 AM