Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tire Pressures, Trackcross Tire Pressures
BENBRO02
post Dec 14 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My son and I are going to a track cross tomorrow at Summit Point. My son's BMW is not ready so I plan on driving my 914 and letting him drive my Acura. Please give me recommendations on tire pressures for the 914. I have never had it on a track. It has a stock suspension without sway bars, 205-55-15 tires (300 treadwear rating) on 4 lug Fuchs. It will only be 50 degrees.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
infraredcalvin
post Dec 15 2019, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Agree with stock.

Question is if you've ever been on the track? If not, or not much, concentrate on the course, your sight (looking ahead), shifting points, etc. have fun, don’t worry about that till you’re hooked and buying real tires....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
RARE 6
post Dec 16 2019, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,337
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 15 2019, 09:05 AM) *

Agree with stock.

Question is if you've ever been on the track? If not, or not much, concentrate on the course, your sight (looking ahead), shifting points, etc. have fun, don’t worry about that till you’re hooked and buying real tires....

Sound advice, though it sounds like you're now hooked. Line, braking points, apexes etc. all are more important and will shave lap times whatever tires you used. Fastest time I ever turned at Woody Creek in the -6 back when we were consistently posting top class times in PCA DE events was on used Dayton Thoroughbred street tires pulled off a Ford Torino because we were dead broke at the time. Came close with all the other back in the day cool tires (XWX, Pirelli, BFG Comp TAs, etc) but apparently had all those other driver elements dialed in with the Daytons that particular afternoon.
Get a front sway bar and some lower springs in the back. Those will make a huge difference. Now that you're hooked, remember that the last few hundreths of a second off your lap times will be exponentially more expensive than the first few full seconds.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:02 AM