Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Microsquirt build, my attempt... And while I am in there..., Remote oil filter / cooler and fuel pump front relocation
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

After reading and reading some more, I finally decided a few months ago to challenge myself with a Microsquirt conversion. Many members here were very inspirational. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I want to thank the ones who have shared their builds and issues as they are very helpful. I hope my build can contribute to others and add to this wealth of information. I'm also aware that I might run into issues but that is part of the process.

First, a little background. A few years back I rebuilt my 2.0 due to a spun rod bearing on my last run of my first DE event with POC at Streets of Willows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) While this was an unpleasant outcome, the day still remains a fantastic moment with my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I did the rebuild myself with all of the valuable information here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I like to think that I did things right and the outcome is a fun 2056 with mild cam, D-Jet oblige, that I have enjoyed commuting with for many years and took along the coast all the way to Monterey four times, two of which were to attend the amazing Rennsport Reunion V and VI. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

One of the reasons I want to upgrade to a modern FI system is to be able to better tune the engine which is limited on the D-Jet, especially when engine displacement is increased as we know. This is the first step in my ultimate build which would be a 78x96 stroker engine. But that will be later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

So here we go!

I bought my Microsquirt and crank trigger sensor sensor setup from Mario at the Dubshop. I like the way the trigger is engineered and it allows the installation of remote oil plumbing (full-er flow setup).

Being on a very tight budget (I know this doesn't rimes with 914 anymore) I bought all my new individual components from ebay with matching pigtail connectors to build my own harness.

VW waste spark coil pack
GM 1 bar MAP sensor
Hyundai (and others) TPS
BMW ICV
BMW air cooled motorcycle CHT sensor (used). Same M10 thread as the D-Jet CHT.

I will be reusing:
Stock green injectors, with additional resistors
Stock IAT sensor

I also bought new connectors and crimp terminals and boots for all reused stock components.

To begin the build, I elected to prepare a development harness with extra wire length and build a bread board setup. This will allow me to make sure that all components are functioning. Once the engine is running, I will rebuild the harness with the proper wire length and sleeves to ensure a clean and reliable installation.

Enough writing... On with what people want! Pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bread Board setup:
Attached Image

1 Bar GM MAP Sensor:
Attached Image

Resistance pack for low impedance green stock injectors. The resistances are not needed if you use modern high impedance injectors.
Attached Image

Used BMW Motorcycle Cylinder Head Temp sensor with M10 thread which will screw in the stock 2.0 head CHT location.
Attached Image

Throttle position switch compatible with the stock 914 throttle body with its 8mm D shape shaft.
Attached Image

Stock intake air temp sensor with new crimp and connector:
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2019, 02:04 PM
Post #2

The resistors, as per delivered directly from China, were not up to my standards as far as surface for thermal management. The aluminum mounting plate will act as supplementary cooling. So I sanded their base on a flat surface. I will use thermal paste between the resistors and aluminum mounting plate to ensure good thermal conductivity.

Before:
Attached Image

After:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 22 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

looking sweet so far. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2019, 02:28 PM
Post #4

Here I am calibrating the intake air temp sensor. MS requires 3 data points to establish the sensor curve.

Easy way to do this:
Room temperature resistance
Boiling water resistance
Cold water resistance.

Using a K type thermocouple and a reader, I positionned the TC tip next to the sensor in the water (same depth). Interesting to see how the water isn't reaching the 100C mark at that level in the pot, even after a few minutes.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Same process for the cold water.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Same process was repeated with the BMW motorcycle CHT. Well, you get the idea... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 22 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Curious, are you using the Dubshop Individual Throttle Bodies too or are you modifying to work with the stock plenum and runners?

That Dubshop ITB setup looks very promising but I have only seen one YouTube video of it on a 914 but it seemed to run nice.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2019, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Moving on to the TPS bracket. As mentioned before, the TPS fits properly on the throttle body 8mm D shaped shaft, but it needs to be at the right angle, also the TB shaft is a little long.

So the bracket also needs to act as a spacer. One way around that could be to cut the butterfly shaft but I didn't want to do that. Another way would be to drill a hole in the TPS so that the shaft went through it. By design, the TPS is sealed, and I didn't want to change that, so no hole.

Looking at the TPS, it was designed to be mounted on a flat surface, centered in a bore and sealed with the green O-ring.

Attached Image

I started taking measurement and designing the bracket. Then using my Bridgeport milling machine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) , I meant hack saw, step drill, HF hand drill and my trusted file, I prepared the bracket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Luckily the step drill was the right dimension to center the TPS and offer the right surface for the o-ring to seal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Attached Image

I installed the bracket on my mockup spare TB then push on the TPS centered on the bore. Holding the TPS, I opened and closed the butterfly to ensure the TPS had enough travel and was not reaching its limits before the butterfly did. Everything checked out good and there was even room for more travel. I centered the backlash of the TPS over the butterfly travel and mark my bracket to make the TPS mounting holes. Once tapped, the bracket was ready and fitted with metric screws.

Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 22 2019, 01:26 PM) *

Curious, are you using the Dubshop Individual Throttle Bodies too or are you modifying to work with the stock plenum and runners?

That Dubshop ITB setup looks very promising but I have only seen one YouTube video of it on a 914 but it seemed to run nice.

This is a very limited funds build. I am reusing all of my D-Jet induction setup. TB, plenum, runners, injectors,...
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2019, 03:40 PM
Post #8

Here is a snapshot of my Excel spreadsheet. I obviously have all the receipts from my various purchases and will gladly share them if someone would like more info. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 22 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 22 2019, 04:31 PM) *

I started taking measurement and designing the bracket. Then using my Bridgeport milling machine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) , I meant hack saw, step drill, HF hand drill and my trusted file, I prepared the bracket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I like it. Far too many think you have to have the machine tools to do stuff. They are nice but not necessary. Great job making that bracket and making the TPS work with simple hand tools!
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Dec 22 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

95% of what is being said here is beyond my apprehension, but I totally love it. And its completely in the 914 spirit.

I can only dream about FI (not liking my carbs).

Good luck with this, and please keep the thread updated.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 22 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #11

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Used BMW Motorcycle CHT sensor w/ M10 thread which will screw in the stock 2.0 head location.

Curious why did you go this way vs a new CHT & a new connector? Is there some advantage Im not seeing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
KevinW
post Dec 22 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,761
Region Association: Upper MidWest

PM sent
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 22 2019, 05:22 PM) *

Used BMW Motorcycle CHT sensor w/ M10 thread which will screw in the stock 2.0 head location.

Curious why did you go this way vs a new CHT & a new connector? Is there some advantage Im not seeing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Which new CHT would you be referring to? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) A stock CHT is grounded to the head which can cause issues with MS (from what I read). All sensor grounds must be connected to the MS sensor ground lead. So, you need a 2 wire thermistor sensor.

The Dubshop makes one that screws on the surface but I preferred the BMW which can be installed in the stock D-Jet CHT location. I found the BMW motorcycle idea from ShopTalkForum. There is a good amount of information on MS stuff there.

Hope this answers your question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 23 2019, 06:16 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

What is the source/application of that TPS? And will that installation clear the stock air filter assembly?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 23 2019, 09:47 AM
Post #15

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 22 2019, 04:40 PM) *

Here is a snapshot of my Excel spreadsheet. I obviously have all the receipts from my various purchases and will gladly share them if someone would like more info. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Could you post all expenses including the MS, wiring, etc.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 23 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #16

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Really interested in following this as I have a customer 2L car here that may get Microsquirt as part of the engine upgrade.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 23 2019, 11:39 AM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Could you post all expenses including the MS, wiring, etc.

And please track/post your time committed to this endeavor. Maybe categorize it as:

-fabrication/assembly
-tuning
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Dec 23 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 22 2019, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 22 2019, 01:26 PM) *

This is a very limited funds build. I am reusing all of my D-Jet induction setup. TB, plenum, runners, injectors,...

For a 2056 with mild cam I feel this is the preferred way to go for pretty much every reason. ITBs on that motor are more cons than pros. You will probably wind up wanting them when you go to a 2.2 though.

Personally there are a couple minor differences I prefer in my builds but given your goals and sticking to a tight budget I think you are pretty spot-on with your choices here. Could have saved a little money, fabrication, and tuning effort by keeping the stock Aux air regulator (or deleting that air circuit completely) instead of a programmable ICV. I suspect you will find it unnecessary, especially given your location, but no harm in eliminating one more 50 year old mechanical part.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Dec 23 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Another thing i should add.... Before you get to far you may want to consider adding a 2nd MAP sensor to your build for real time barometric correction. Its a minor addition but you are going to want it if you ever head up any passes.

Also, didnt see it mentioned anywhere in your list but you are going to want a Wideband O2 sensor in there as well. Its false economy to not have one.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 23 2019, 11:12 PM
Post #20

I will try to answer all the questions but before I would like to say that I am flattered by the interest and the comments shared by the knowledgeable and highly respected members here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I will try to do this in order...

@GregAmy : Source eBay, Bosch knockoff used on Volvo, Saab, Porsche. P/N GEGT610131, $13.34 including the pigtail connector.

Clearance with air filter, a picture = 1000 words

Attached Image

@MarkHenry: (Don't remember how to ping someone with the @ and space in username...) This is all I have purchased so far. The rest, I had accumulated over the years (wires, transformer for breadboard setup). I also already have an AFR gauge on the car that I will reuse.

Attached Image

@JeffBowlsby :
It would be very difficult to track time because I have been reading about MS conversion for about 2-3 years and I will still need to read more as I go along. For me, this is not about time spent, it's about the journey... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

@JamesM :
Thank you for commenting, I highly value your input on the MS. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Based on what you said, I will not use the ICV in the beginning. check.
I will order a second MAP immediately. check.
I already have an AEM wideband O2 sensor that I bought and installed when I built my 2056. Since I have SS heat exchangers and a banana muffler, its location is far from ideal. It's in the tailpipe as close to the muffler as possible... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:33 AM