Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Microsquirt build, my attempt... And while I am in there..., Remote oil filter / cooler and fuel pump front relocation
JamesM
post Dec 24 2019, 01:33 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 23 2019, 10:12 PM) *

Based on what you said, I will not use the ICV in the beginning. check.
I will order a second MAP immediately. check.
I already have an AEM wideband O2 sensor that I bought and installed when I built my 2056. Since I have SS heat exchangers and a banana muffler, its location is far from ideal. It's in the tailpipe as close to the muffler as possible... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

If you already bought the ICV there is no harm in using it I was just saying that its a place where you could have saved a few bucks as you should be able to get on fine without it, especially if you still have an original working AAR.

Good that you have a wideband already. while the placement isnt ideal you should be able to get by though i suspect you may get some fluctuating readings at idle. I find idle mixture is usually best dialed in by ear though anyways. Bursch mufflers are relatively cheap, especially used and all 4 pipes join before the muffler giving a more ideal place to install a wideband sensor. If you can find one for a cheap price, or even one you could borrow it may be worth it to swap out while tuning. I have one setup specifically for this purpose, if you were closer I would let you run it. Shipping the thing would probably cost more than it is worth.

Cant wait to see your system come together.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 25 2019, 01:19 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Merry Christmas everyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wreath.gif)

Personal design notes on the TPS bracket design. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 25 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #23

Took a few minutes today to prepare the tool to install the BMW Cylinder head temp sensor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I got a 14mm long reach socket from my local FLAPS and made a slot with my thin disk grinder and Dremel tool. This will allow the wire to go through as shown in the second
picture.

Then I tried it on the cylinder head. You can also see my ring style type K thermocouple under the #3 spark plug for my cylinder head temperature gauge. Note that this CHT gauge is separate from the whole MS installation. I installed it upon my engine rebuild about 6 years ago for monitoring.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 30 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #24

Just came back from a short trip and this was waiting for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Per @JamesM recommendations, I got a second GM style 1 bar MAP sensor for the atmospheric pressure monitoring. Amazing to get this delivered to your door in a couple of days for $9.35 all included (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

I guess I will connect this one to the analog input of the system but haven't looked yet. Hopefully, there will be a selection for this MAP sensor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
913B
post Dec 31 2019, 01:35 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

Hi, Could you possibly share the amazon link?
Thanks
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 31 2019, 09:07 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(913B @ Dec 30 2019, 11:35 PM) *

Hi, Could you possibly share the amazon link?
Thanks

This part was ordered on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-bar-Map-Sens...353.m2749.l2649

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Dec 31 2019, 11:24 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 30 2019, 10:04 PM) *

I guess I will connect this one to the analog input of the system but haven't looked yet. Hopefully, there will be a selection for this MAP sensor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

vref and gnd connect to the same wires as your 1st MAP sensor. The signal wire on the 2nd sensor can connect to various inputs depending on what firmware you run. I have been using the "spareADC" port for this. Just be sure whatever you wire it to you then match in your tunerstudio config.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 3 2020, 03:47 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 31 2019, 09:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 30 2019, 10:04 PM) *

vref and gnd connect to the same wires as your 1st MAP sensor. The signal wire on the 2nd sensor can connect to various inputs depending on what firmware you run. I have been using the "spareADC" port for this. Just be sure whatever you wire it to you then match in your tunerstudio config.

Attached Image

@JamesM , thank you for the input. Here is a screenshot of my ATM pressure MAP setup. Let me know if you see anything that seems wrong. It wouldn't be surprising... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 3 2020, 03:55 PM
Post #29

I had a few hours yesterday and today to work on a combined coil and MAP bracket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Since the Distributor will be gone, this combo will be located in that area and the bracket will be secured using the 8mm bolt of the distributor bracket and a couple of engine tin screws of the right side cylinder tin.

It will obviously get painted once I am 100% everything fits. Hardware is metric to be consistent...

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 12 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #30

Busy weekend! Took the family to JPL's open doors yesterday to check out the Mars Rover before it leaves for Florida for the launch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Today I prepared a bracket for the ICV. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Even though I don't intend to connect it initially (per JamesM recommendation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) ), I will eventually.

I got the aftermarket BMW rubber mount and used an aluminum plate to make a bracket that will mount on the M6 coil mounting points on the cooling tin.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I also got a couple of BMW elbow tubes that connects to the ICV so they match the ports. The brass fitting are residential PEX tubing adaptor elbow 3/4 to 1/2. They happen to fit perfectly in the BMW hose and the 914 vacuum hose. shown in the picture is a small length of the 914 hose to validate. I intend to use hose clamps to avoid vacuum leaks.
This setup will allow me to use the stock ports on the air filter and intake plenum.

Attached Image

Last, the setup temporarily mounted on the cooling tin in the location where the coil usually goes.

Attached Image

Next step; oil pump (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Yes, the"while in there" kicked in and I am revisiting my external oil cooler/thermostat/oil filter setup... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

+Quote Post
913B
post Jan 13 2020, 12:58 AM
Post #31

BMW mount and rubber elbows tubes? from Where?

Sorry for all the inquiries.
I purchased a Microsquirt as well and will be trying to modernize my 1.7 I hope (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thank you
Ted
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 13 2020, 08:33 AM
Post #32

Amazon and Ebay are usually my first go to places.

In this case, all of the following parts are from Amazon:

Attached Image

Attached Image

I was told or I read that a resistor like this needs to go on one of the negative wires of the ICV. I think it's the closing wire. To be looked into when connecting it...

Attached Image

This tube adaptor will allow me to connect the GM MAP using a short length of 1/4 vacuum tube from a FLAP to the stock size vacuum hose for the stock MAP in the stock connection point in the plenum.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 13 2020, 09:12 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Liking this, although I also struggle to understand the electronics of it. doesn't hurt to learn something new.

I'm guessing that with a system such as this, your cam choices would be expanded beyond the usual d-jet compatible cams. How much cam and head work would a system like this take?

I understand you are wanting to use the d-jet pieces you have on hand. but could this work with the large bus plenum and throttle body? supposedly it has better flow characteristics than the 2.0 plenum. Just thinking out loud here...

+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 13 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(913B @ Jan 13 2020, 01:58 AM) *
I purchased a Microsquirt as well and will be trying to modernize my 1.7 I hope...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

That makes at least four in-process 914 Microsquirt retro-installs that I'm aware of...lots to be learned here.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 13 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #35

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Busy weekend! Took the family to JPL's open doors yesterday to check out the Mars Rover before it leaves for Florida for the launch.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thats Awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
Great Microsquirt build up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 13 2020, 10:43 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jan 13 2020, 07:12 AM) *

Liking this, although I also struggle to understand the electronics of it. doesn't hurt to learn something new. My thought exactly, it's all about the learning experience with the hope that it will work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'm guessing that with a system such as this, your cam choices would be expanded beyond the usual d-jet compatible cams. How much cam and head work would a system like this take? I'm no expert but your limitation is probably not the FI brain, more the components like the injectors at some point, all of the induction, etc...

I understand you are wanting to use the d-jet pieces you have on hand. but could this work with the large bus plenum and throttle body? supposedly it has better flow characteristics than the 2.0 plenum. Just thinking out loud here... Yes the system has nothing to do with the plenum. There are many threads on Shoptalkforum about the use of the bus plenum, especially if you go with a larger engine like a stroker 2270.

+Quote Post
913B
post Jan 13 2020, 11:19 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 13 2020, 09:33 AM) *

Amazon and Ebay are usually my first go to places.

In this case, all of the following parts are from Amazon:

Attached Image

Attached Image

I was told or I read that a resistor like this needs to go on one of the negative wires of the ICV. I think it's the closing wire. To be looked into when connecting it...

Attached Image

This tube adaptor will allow me to connect the GM MAP using a short length of 1/4 vacuum tube from a FLAP to the stock size vacuum hose for the stock MAP in the stock connection point in the plenum.

Attached Image

Thank you
It's appreciated.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 19 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #38

A little more work done this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

First, Friday ( I get every second Friday off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) ) I went to EMW and got my oil pump blocked off. They pressed a slug in the hole. It felt like it was protruding a little over the pump diameter so I gently filed it down and checked the diameter once done. It is now ready for the re-installation. I'm hoping to get a cast iron full flow pump cover with pressure relief from Gene Berg maybe tomorrow if they are open.

Attached Image

Then I fabricated a block off plate for the oil filter mount that I am removing. I used a 1/4" aluminum plate and my trusted hack saw, vise, file and HF drill... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

While I was at it making blanks, I also did one for the plenum as I will not be using the stock Cold Start Valve (CSV) anymore.

Attached Image

Next steps ahead, oil pump and cover installation, and Dub Shop crank trigger setup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jan 21 2020, 09:44 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 19 2020, 07:27 PM) *

While I was at it making blanks, I also did one for the plenum as I will not be using the stock Cold Start Valve (CSV) anymore.

Attached Image

Not sure what your your plan is for the idle valve pluming, but that plastic block under the cold start injector is the port for the stock aux air regulator. May want to leave it and put your block off plate on top of it.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 26 2020, 01:17 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 21 2020, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 19 2020, 07:27 PM) *

Attached Image

Not sure what your your plan is for the idle valve pluming, but that plastic block under the cold start injector is the port for the stock aux air regulator. May want to leave it and put your block off plate on top of it.

Thank you for pointing it out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

After reviewing the various ports on the plenum, the only one available for a 13mm ID hose is the plastic one by the stock CSV injector as you mentioned. Therefore, if I'm going with this hose setup on my BMW valve, I should use the plastic port and place the block off plate on top.

I might revisit my plans to connect the BMW idle vale to the 10mm port that was used for the stock decel valve that will be removed. Otherwise I will need to plug that port. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:26 PM