Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Head Temp gauge
Charles Freeborn
post Jan 3 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Opinions? Thermo couple vs ?? Spark plug sender vs NPT... which cylinder? I've got questions!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jan 6 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jan 3 2020, 06:26 PM) *

Opinions? Thermo couple vs ?? Spark plug sender vs NPT... which cylinder? I've got questions!

#3 is the cylinder to watch using the sender that goes under the plug. A Micro 1000 is what I run because it is temp compensated and looks right on my dash.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpa.../CHT_gauges.php

In the future I may switch to this (link below) due to some additional features, like alerts:

http://thesensorconnection.com/cht-sensors...e-sensor-kit-fs
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 6 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

If you're into data acq, this guy has one with a 0-5VDC output. Uses any K type thermocouple.

Might add one of those to the race car...
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Jan 7 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jan 6 2020, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jan 3 2020, 06:26 PM) *

#3 is the cylinder to watch using the sender that goes under the plug. A Micro 1000 is what I run because it is temp compensated and looks right on my dash.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpa.../CHT_gauges.php

In the future I may switch to this (link below) due to some additional features, like alerts:

http://thesensorconnection.com/cht-sensors...e-sensor-kit-fs

This is the second rec for the aircraft style. One question - thought. How important is the temp compensation aspect in a sea-level vehicle? I understand the need in an aircraft situation where the ambient temps could swing radically, but is that an isusue in a car?
Thanks!
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 7 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jan 7 2020, 04:50 PM) *

This is the second rec for the aircraft style. One question - thought. How important is the temp compensation aspect in a sea-level vehicle? I understand the need in an aircraft situation where the ambient temps could swing radically, but is that an isusue in a car?
Thanks!

The compensation is actually for the junction block at the back of the unit reading, so in this case you're compensating for cabin (or dash/center console) temperature if mounted there. Without compensation it'll assume something like 68*F temperature, so you could theoretically see errors of +/-30*F depending on cabin temperature. I think it's worth it as that's quite considerable error on a 300*F measurement.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 7 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

If you don't care about looks there are a bunch of panel mount industrial display options which run on 12VDC and may be cheaper than the "aerospace" stuff. All you need is something that reads Type-K thermocouples.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Jan 8 2020, 10:53 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 7 2020, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jan 7 2020, 04:50 PM) *

Thanks!

The compensation is actually for the junction block at the back of the unit reading, so in this case you're compensating for cabin (or dash/center console) temperature if mounted there. Without compensation it'll assume something like 68*F temperature, so you could theoretically see errors of +/-30*F depending on cabin temperature. I think it's worth it as that's quite considerable error on a 300*F measurement.

Excellent. Yes, a 30ยบ error could be fatal to the top end. Thanks!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:41 AM