Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fuel gage & oil temp gage lighting, First night drive, no illumination
barefoot
post Jan 8 2020, 11:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

One combo gage backside shows lamp in 2nd from left position, but mine is a 76 with that position dedicated to cat converter warning lite. Another image shows other lamp positions, but mine has none.
Does the gas gage have aa built in lamp ? I can see nothing from the backside other than the low fuel indicator lamp., Same for the oil temp gage.
Current track 37 shows L7 fuel gage lamp, but can't find it anywhere.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 8 2020, 03:31 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Gas gauge and Oil temp gauge DO NOT have lighted feature. They are indirectly lit by two bulbs on left and right sides.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 8 2020, 03:45 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

If only the gas temp gauge is not lit, check the bulbs and the ground lead. Black with blue supplies the power, brown is the ground. The rheostat at the back of the headlight switch provides variable illumination

QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 8 2020, 10:46 AM) *

One combo gage backside shows lamp in 2nd from left position, but mine is a 76 with that position dedicated to cat converter warning lite. Another image shows other lamp positions, but mine has none.
Does the gas gage have aa built in lamp ? I can see nothing from the backside other than the low fuel indicator lamp., Same for the oil temp gage.
Current track 37 shows L7 fuel gage lamp, but can't find it anywhere.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 8 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=212130&hl=
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jan 10 2020, 08:06 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 8 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Gas gauge and Oil temp gauge DO NOT have lighted feature. They are indirectly lit by two bulbs on left and right sides.

My 76 has 4 lighted features across the middle:
From the left:
Brake warning, Generator warning, cat converter warning, & oil pressure warning.
The cat converter position is not utilized but none of the other three provide ANY illumination to the gas gage or oil temp portions.
The low fuel warning does not illuminate the gas gage meter at all & there are no other illumination bulb recepticals on the multi gage. The speedo & tach lighting works OK with the rheostat on the light switch.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 10 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I have a silver dot combo gauge, the yellow warn does not work it's actually a fake (faux) light lens.
It is this bulb holder that works for the gauge backlight, took me a bit to figure this out.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jan 14 2020, 09:14 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 10 2020, 10:18 AM) *

I have a silver dot combo gauge, the yellow warn does not work it's actually a fake (faux) light lens.
It is this bulb holder that works for the gauge backlight, took me a bit to figure this out.

MH, you're correct. Wiring another illumination lite into that orange receptical now provides a little light the the combo gage. Interesting that the harness did not have any extra wiring to do this, nor was there a lamp fixture in my combo gage. Apparently that orange warning position was never used.
I have a 75 owners manual that shows 2 separate warning lamps positioned near the bottom of the insturment cluster for cat converter & EGR warning functions.

I used to have a link to a web site that had all years gages identified, but now can't find it. Google is not your friend.

Barefoot
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:28 AM