Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> screen wiper question
JFG
post Jan 12 2020, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

On new years day i took my car out. There was intermittent rain for the early part of the drive. The wipers worked fine.

On the way back i had fog/mist which wet the screen but no wipers. I stopped in the services and checked the nut on the motor connection, this was tight. However there was no noise of power at the motor.

This morning i've gone out to check for faults and the wipers worked fine. No blown fuses, all electrics work fine and there were no loose wires.

Any ideas? The linkage jas been stripped and lubed previously.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jan 12 2020, 09:03 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(JFG @ Jan 12 2020, 09:50 AM) *

On new years day i took my car out. There was intermittent rain for the early part of the drive. The wipers worked fine.

On the way back i had fog/mist which wet the screen but no wipers. I stopped in the services and checked the nut on the motor connection, this was tight. However there was no noise of power at the motor.

This morning i've gone out to check for faults and the wipers worked fine. No blown fuses, all electrics work fine and there were no loose wires.

Any ideas? The linkage jas been stripped and lubed previously.

Well that could be one of a lot of things unfortunately. I assume all speeds did not work. First suspect is a poor fuse connection. Clean the contacts and replace the fuse (or clean the old one). The motor is suspect but that is more difficult to check and replace. If it fails again, I would tap it hard with something and see if it starts again. The wiper switch is still suspect. Lastly there are 2 screws that hold the switches in place. Remove the horn and make sure all 4 corner screws are tight. The ground connection is made here. I think this may cause the opposite problem (occasionally wiping when it shouldn't) but this is easy to check just the same.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 12 2020, 10:52 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 12 2020, 10:03 AM) *

First suspect is a poor fuse connection. Clean the contacts and replace the fuse (or clean the old one).

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Often I spin the fuses in the holder and wiper (etc) will start working. I haven't run into this issue with my 914, but it's common on my '67 bug which sees more DD through the season.

Tech tip if you remove the fuse block and soak it in vinegar the connector/holders come out shiny brass. I have two fuse blocks for my bug so I can swap them out fast without having to remember (label, etc) the order.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 12 2020, 12:37 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

+ 1 on checking the 4 screws under steering wheel. Upper right corner is the wiper switch ground up to 75
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 12 2020, 02:05 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 12 2020, 11:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 12 2020, 10:03 AM) *

First suspect is a poor fuse connection. Clean the contacts and replace the fuse (or clean the old one).

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Often I spin the fuses in the holder and wiper (etc) will start working. I haven't run into this issue with my 914, but it's common on my '67 bug which sees more DD through the season.

Tech tip if you remove the fuse block and soak it in vinegar the connector/holders come out shiny brass. I have two fuse blocks for my bug so I can swap them out fast without having to remember (label, etc) the order.

Yes, the trick is to have the spare fuse panel and move each wire individually. Takes 10 minutes. Ebay sells a pack of new fuses for $10. Put the old ones in a baggie in your glove compartment so you can help out teeners in need.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JFG
post Jan 19 2020, 03:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,869

I've found replacement glass for the mirror but it says it is 69 to 72. However the mirrors i see for sale are described as 70 to 76.

Is there a difference between mirrors from factory initially? If so can i buy and make fit the early glass?
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 19 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

true early mirrors are a bit smaller.
they also have more of a sharp, right-angle bend on the arm - the late mirrors have more of a gentle curve.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jan 19 2020, 11:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

JFG,
Check J-13 relay on the fuse panel under the dash. This is labeled in the prints as the fan relay, but should have been labeled a power relay. It supplies power to the top of fuse #8, I think. Fuse 8 feed the wipers, horn, fresh air blower (fan).
If everything is working well now, the next time the wipers don't work, try blowing the horn. No horn, reach under the dash and wiggle the relays and see if the symptoms change.
If you find that J-13 is in fact causing the issues of intermittent power, remove it and clean the relay prongs and with the relay turned upside down looking at the prongs, slightly spread all of the prongs very slightly. They look similar to a pie divided into 4 pieces if I remember correctly. When you put the relay back in, it may feel a little tighter and the intermittent power issue should be fixed.
Tom
+Quote Post
rosenfe
post Jan 20 2020, 10:44 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,512

I thought horn relay supplied power to fuse 8
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jan 21 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Nope, horn relay (J4) is powered from top of fuse #8. Fresh air fan relay (J13) puts power to the same electrical point on fuse #8. The fresh air fan relay should have been called a power relay. Per the print below.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:23 PM