Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting a NEW feel - shifter, How can I recapture the experience?
ctc911ctc
post Jan 14 2020, 09:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

All,

I have been working on a '74 barn-find that is in good condition for a car that has sat for 35+ years.

In 1973 I owned a 1970 1.7, loved that car. I drove it to the local Porsche dealer and was looking to trade it for a new one. I drove a new one and the shifter was so different. Yes, I know it was a side shifter vs. a rear shifter. But the new car shifting stuck with me as one of the best parts of a new 914.

My experience was that the new car had a very CRISP shifter, where the path from 1st to 2nd was extremely easy, the springs seemed snappy.

My current car has all new bushings, greased and shifts OK. I have been told that the springs in the shifter (in the cabin) have little effect, but I also noticed that people do replace them.

Has anyone in this forum every pursued the NEW FEEL of a transmission?

Many thanks
CTC911CTC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 14 2020, 09:37 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

rebuilt trans, JWest Rennshifter, Tangerine Racing linkage + firewall bushing = best 914 shifting possible.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wes
post Jan 14 2020, 11:22 AM
Post #3

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 14 2020, 07:37 AM) *

rebuilt trans, JWest Rennshifter, Tangerine Racing linkage + firewall bushing = best 914 shifting possible.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Jan 14 2020, 02:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

In the spirit of Originality

If we were to try and recreate the ORIGINAL configuration and springy-ness, is there a path to get it back to factory goodness?

Thank you,

QUOTE(wes @ Jan 14 2020, 12:22 PM) *

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 14 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jan 14 2020, 03:58 PM) *

In the spirit of Originality

If we were to try and recreate the ORIGINAL configuration and springy-ness, is there a path to get it back to factory goodness?

Thank you,

QUOTE(wes @ Jan 14 2020, 12:22 PM) *

Do everything, or as much as you can but leave out the rennshifter. That's pretty much what Eric Shea did on his GT car. And make sure your shifter isn't worn in the base. At the very least, a Tangerine firewall bushing.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 15 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

ctc....

I don't know if "the Doc" is rebuilding them anymore, or if you can buy or borrow one of his tranny rebuilding CDs & do it yourself with all new & tight parts - as many new as possible.

Alternatively you could try to find a local expert shop who rebuilds 901 transmissions for 911, 912 & 914 - & have them do it for you if not comfortable with you doing it.

Also, the cases can get worn beyond what new bushings etc. can compensate for - so you may also need to find a better used or new/NOS case (when my 914 Tech rebuilt my 73 2L trans, they had to get a replacement 72 case due to excessive wear, when my rolling resto was done back in 80-83). IIRC they had an NOS case or two at AA a while back.

Additionally - I'm not sure which MY 914 that you're working on now, but if a 70-72 tail shifter - then you can either:

A. use the 72 MY tweaks & parts that tightened up that MY's tailshifter had done by the factory to improve its shifting (IIRC that's covered in the Factory Repair Manuals' 8 Binder set, if a post 1972 issue) - or -

B. convert your tailshifter with side-shifter parts (which was commonly done on 70-72 rebuilds back in the day), & just save the tailshifter parts for any future owner who may want to put it back to all original. (I look at that "upgrade", SSI heat exchangers, etc. as "in bounds" for originality, so long as done period correct.)

PS - You might also get more input in the Garage Forum for this question.

PSS - As an additional option C - you could get another sideshift or converted tail to side shift tranny to install for your driving, & just save & store your original tranny for the future (assuming it's the original, & assuming that rebuild parts may be more available in the future).

Also, since the 901 is shared with the 911/912 cars but flipped for tail-dragger use, also check in those parts source areas for those that you'll need which are interchangeable between both configurations.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 3 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Before you go crazy, try replacing all the bushings 1st. May be simpler than you thought. You can always do the full deal and would need them anyway. It really makes a big difference.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 14 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

A few other thoughts here. Did your knew bushings include the coupler bushings? Also, inspect the shift rods for wear. Even with new bushings, the shift is going to be sloppy if the shift rod diameter has been worn down and not riding snug in the bushings. Agree with others that if the bushings are new, the shifter mechanism is in good shape and lubed, and the shift rods are not worn, then any remaining slop has to be in the trans.

Except.... possbilby your memory? The difference between tail shift and side shift significant so is it possible that your experience all those years ago suddenly switching between the two locked in a memory that exaggerated how "crisp" the shift was? It's hard to imagine that even brand new the side shifter was stellar, but it was amazing compared to the rubber band feel of the tail shifter. Any chance your memory is creating unrealistic expectations?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 14 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #9

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Get a new one of these. I think 914rubber offers them, among others.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:33 PM