Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> why would anyone ever color change a 914?, especially a sunflower yellow car
Cairo94507
post Jan 15 2020, 03:31 PM
Post #21

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I believe owners should be able to do whatever they want to their car. I took my original '71 Six, a rare 1 of 4 metallic gold car, and had it media blasted, rust repaired, etc. and changed it to Irish Green because that was what my wife and I wanted. Of course, this was done the right way so you will never find a speck of metallic gold on that car anywhere. I am sure some purists wanted to have me burned at the stake for that - but I am a big boy and can take the flack.

I do agree that if you can't do it correctly, you should strongly consider leaving it the stock color. Nothing looks worse than seeing a red car, for example, with yellow showing through on the door jambs, chips in the hood etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 15 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

72 orig. Tangerine,,every Once in a while I think it would be nice... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 15 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 15 2020, 12:47 PM) *

Because Silver 914s are ugly that’s why I changed color.

I guess we will never be friends then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

It's funny. Decades ago my wife bought a 914 that was red but the trunks were still the original Delphi Green. Every time I opened the trunk I was glad the car was red because the green looked so ugly. Now I would love to had a delphi 914 and prefer it to red. People can change and so can colors.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jan 15 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jan 15 2020, 02:32 PM) *

I did the opposite during the V8 conversion of my MGB. Green to yellow. It probably hurts the value to do a color change (more on a 914 than an MGB), but for some it beats living with a color you don't like.

Ohhh - tasty. Nice work @DickSteinkamp
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jan 15 2020, 05:09 PM
Post #25

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Gotta say, that forest green is very striking. I can see why the previous owner picked that color.

I color changed a car from one shade of blue to another. I was happy with it for the first five years and then slowly came to regret the decision.

+Quote Post
sb914
post Jan 15 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #26

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 15 2020, 11:47 AM) *

@Coondog ....not my car, but I’m just saying! One of my all time favorites. Attached Image
+Quote Post
johnlush
post Jan 15 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #27

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108

I wanted to change the color when I had my '71/6 done but didn't for the reasons others have listed and wanted to keep it "original". The hypocrisy is that the rear fenders needed work so I had them modified to allow clearance for 15x8s. I also had the front side markers deleted. So much for original. Given another chance this little fucher would be chartreuse instead of silver. Not that there's anything wrong with silver mind you... So my only opinion on this (as if anyone cares...) is that if you're going to change color do it right and leave no trace of the previous shade...Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 15 2020, 05:54 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

the factory color changed this one from white to silver, and blacked out all of the places that the white would show except for the floor boards, they are still white!!!!Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 15 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

this car was color changed from ancona blue, guess they guy had a lot of white paint on handAttached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 15 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

the factory color changed this many times!Attached Image
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Jan 15 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #31

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 15 2020, 02:31 PM) *

I believe owners should be able to do whatever they want to their car. I took my original '71 Six, a rare 1 of 4 metallic gold car, and had it media blasted, rust repaired, etc. and changed it to Irish Green because that was what my wife and I wanted. Of course, this was done the right way so you will never find a speck of metallic gold on that car anywhere. I am sure some purists wanted to have me burned at the stake for that - but I am a big boy and can take the flack.

I do agree that if you can't do it correctly, you should strongly consider leaving it the stock color. Nothing looks worse than seeing a red car, for example, with yellow showing through on the door jambs, chips in the hood etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 15 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #32

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My car was originally Irish Green. Some PO, some time (I assume in the 80's) did a cheap re-spray to something resembling Bahia Red. I've kind of gone with it by respraying the underside and in other places that weren't resprayed, like below:

Attached Image

I definitely need a new paint job, and I never considered going back to original Irish Green. I never really liked it. When it's dull and faded, it just looks old (70's in a bad way). HOWEVER, Having seen Cairo's car with it's fresh Irish Green, I may be changing my mind. His car is beautiful. Maybe I can go "Christmas Tree" with red underbody and Irish Green up top (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

Cairo's car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-9712-1563054583_thumb.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 15 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #33

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

My 914 is originally white, the PO painted it orange, the door jambs are orange, but the interior trunks and engine bay was very carefully masked off and left white. It actually works quite well, only 914 owners have ever noticed.

Now for double blasphemy, I'm going to wrap the wife's teen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 15 2020, 08:47 PM
Post #34

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Why do you prefer the red crayon? Because you like it.

I guess the upside is that 914s are going up in value enough that we start finally appreciating originality.

I will still do to my 914 what makes me happy. As should all. The fails will only help the value of the OG.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jan 15 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Knew that was going to open up a can of worms......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
Nothing against Silver personally, it just doesn’t make a car pop for me. My top 914 colors are Red, Yellow, Blue, which I don’t have.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
aggiezig
post Jan 15 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #36

Porsche Wannabe

Member No.: 19,557

I changed my car from Malaga Red to Mexico Blue. It’s not a 914 color ever offered, but rather a 911 color from an earlier year. I wasn’t shooting for originality and I wanted something that really popped and screamed 70’s sports car.

I will say this in perhaps the spirit of your original post. When I did my color change, the entire car (and I mean everything) was stripped to bare metal. That is because I strongly feel that if you’re going to do a color change, at least do the job right.
+Quote Post
pistorman
post Jan 15 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 23,546
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would maybe change it to a same year model factory color. A stretch maybe to a 911 factory color of that year. There's a magic to keeping this cars appearing as close to new. Nostalgia element pays when you sell a classic car. I know that quite well. Modify it in any way that is for a specific taste and you'll have a hard time finding someone with your own tastes.
+Quote Post
johnorm
post Jan 15 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 22,610
Region Association: Canada

Wow another color saga (good not bad thing). Interesting comments by all but as many of you said if the color is not your favourite change it to something you like knowing it may affect value in the future. The exception has to be original and salvageable paint which needs to stay the same, that's more of a preservation than restoration issue.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 15 2020, 11:09 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thems fightin’ words. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I searched specifically to find a silver car. Of course, you can see that I’m biased. I agree that in bright daylight the silver cars wash out and the primary color cars have a lot more pop. But move it indoors and the silver really highlights the curves on the car.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jan 15 2020, 11:22 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Appears the good DR has gone quiet due to amount of guys that have colour changed,@ the end of the day it is what the owners wants to do as mentioned I like my silver but would like Ivory White because it is so serviceable and easy to touch up and it works for these cars.
My last full resto (and last) was a 87 euro Golf GTI in Alpine White looked really sharp.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:31 PM